Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:39:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175939 times)
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »

Hey guys, long time no see.

We've been very busy preparing for gamescom. We want to get a minimally playable build to show at gamescom, in the business area.
I've made a banner for our booth and I could use some feedback on that before we print it.
Do you think the Flotsam logo needs a subtitle to explain the game a bit? I'm not sure if it's clear that the game is a building simulator without it. On the other hand I want to keep it simple

Maybe you guys have suggestions for a tagline? Smiley
Stuff like:
"survive in a flooded world, build a floating(/moving) town" (->flooded world is already clear in the picture maybe)
"a survival building simulator" (->might be a bit boring)
"the garbage town builder!" (->oh yes, thats the one)

I've also updated our logo as you can see on the banner Smiley We wanted a logo that works even when its 1 color. The old one didn't have that. Additionally it's possible to easily change the pajama now for every game we make and on special occasions like christmas.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »

"a town adrift"?
Interactionman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2016, 08:36:16 AM »

Of the three you listed I think "The garbage town builder!" is the better one.

BUT

What about the subtitle you were already using? i.e. "A survival building sim in a flooded world"

I think that works as well if not better than the others. It tells you exactly what the game is and the setting.

If it's too long then "Survive and build in a flooded world" is a bit shorter.

JWest
Level 0

Aspiring dude.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »

I'll agree with you, as a banner I prefer the simplicity.  But for people who have no idea what's going on you do probably need a tagline.  Something short, like your idea of "the garbage town builder!".

Almost wish you could manage some kind of nautical pun, like "ALL HANDS ON WRECK!"

... or something.

I'm here to learn things.

Watch me tryhard. | Watch me tweet about it.
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »

It's a Waterworld simulator! I like it!
Following. As for the tagline, I think it should include all the important elements of the game - in this case, water + garbage + survival.
Maybe something like "survive in an ocean of trash?"

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »

Almost wish you could manage some kind of nautical pun, like "ALL HANDS ON WRECK!"
Not sure if it would be a good tagline, but I think that pun deserves a place somewhere in the game :D
JWest
Level 0

Aspiring dude.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2016, 01:14:20 AM »

Not sure if it would be a good tagline, but I think that pun deserves a place somewhere in the game :D

Yeah, it would probably just confuse onlookers more   Droop

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2016, 04:30:35 AM »

Thanks for the input everyone  Gomez

Ye thats so cheesy it has to go in the game somewhere :D

It's a Waterworld simulator! I like it!
Following. As for the tagline, I think it should include all the important elements of the game - in this case, water + garbage + survival.
Maybe something like "survive in an ocean of trash?"
Even though the recycling is very important, I'm hesitant to use the word garbage or trash in the tagline. Could be funny though Tongue
I think it mostly needs to tell people what isn't in the painting already, which is the fact that it's a building sim. Most people will think its an adventure/survival game now like Stranded Deep or Rust.

Of the three you listed I think "The garbage town builder!" is the better one.
Goddamnit, I'll have to use the garbage town builder won't I? Tongue It actually includes everything I want to say.

On the other hand, maybe it's not so bad that some people think it's an adventure game at conventions? That way they'll come talk to you even if they don't like building sims and we can convince them they are the bomb Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2016, 05:35:37 AM »

Maybe include a reference to the great garbage patch?

The Great Garbage Town?

A Patchy Town of Great Garbage?

Great Garbage Patchwork?
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2016, 11:45:05 PM »

I think it mostly needs to tell people what isn't in the painting already, which is the fact that it's a building sim. Most people will think its an adventure/survival game now like Stranded Deep or Rust.

Agree with this sentiment. The large character in the poster attracts the eyes of convention-goers, but it makes the game look like a traditional adventure game -- maybe even one aimed at young kids. That might not terrible (hell, I'm making an adventure game!) but what hooked me on your project was the unique combination of elements: a building simulation, inside a vibrant world with charming characters, taking place in a dystopian aquatic future. What? That's amazing! Not highlighting one of your most unique features (and the most important gameplay-wise) would be a loss for me.

Anyway, I'm mostly posting here because I saw this game a while back and thought I'd been following it -- but apparently not! I have many posts to catch up on. As I mentioned, I'm loving everything about it. Good luck at Gamescom and in future development!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:55 AM »

"the garbage town builder" describes the game, but another approach would be to describe what the player has to do, like "build a town adrift" (stolen from JobLeonard).

I don't think that "garbage" is that important, and it has a negative connotation, imo. Maybe use something like "improvise", to convey creativity in using the existing building materials?
JWest
Level 0

Aspiring dude.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2016, 12:16:20 AM »

I don't think that "garbage" is that important, and it has a negative connotation, imo. Maybe use something like "improvise", to convey creativity in using the existing building materials?

Honestly I think the whole "recycled"(?) feeling is painted pretty well in the banner artwork itself, might just need to focus more on floating city building, just so people will understand what kind of game it would be (like the "build a town adrift" tag you mentioned)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:56 AM »

"Tony Stark We built this town in a cave on the open ocean, FROM SCRAPS!"
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2016, 04:31:44 AM »

Ha, really happy I asked for you guys' input on this  Grin

Agree with this sentiment. The large character in the poster attracts the eyes of convention-goers, but it makes the game look like a traditional adventure game -- maybe even one aimed at young kids. That might not terrible (hell, I'm making an adventure game!) but what hooked me on your project was the unique combination of elements: a building simulation, inside a vibrant world with charming characters, taking place in a dystopian aquatic future. What? That's amazing! Not highlighting one of your most unique features (and the most important gameplay-wise) would be a loss for me.

Ye, I wanted to put a character in front because the game is very character driven. And as you said it attracts the eye too. I guess the subtitle will have to be enough for now to tell ppl its a building simulator.

"the garbage town builder" describes the game, but another approach would be to describe what the player has to do, like "build a town adrift" (stolen from JobLeonard).

Adrift is a cool word to use yes, we might use that one Smiley You might be right about the garbage too. I'm not sure we can use improvise yet though, because we're not sure how much the player will be able to combine different materials yet.. Still have to try that.

"Tony Stark We built this town in a cave on the open ocean, FROM SCRAPS!"

We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll scrap an' crap

Anyway, think we're landing on "Build a town adrift!". I'll let it sit for a while Tongue

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2016, 04:51:45 AM »

BTW, what stance does the game take on the Great Garbage Patch? Or perhaps a better question would be: what stance does the design team take, and how is that reflected in the game?

Because people will make the connection and ask questions, so you'd better be prepared.
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »

BTW, what stance does the game take on the Great Garbage Patch? Or perhaps a better question would be: what stance does the design team take, and how is that reflected in the game?

Because people will make the connection and ask questions, so you'd better be prepared.

It's the promised land!
How else could we feel about it?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »

Well, people might interpret that as trivialising a major environmental issue...

You could also investigate if you could somehow bring awareness to this problem through the gameplay, without being preachy about it. I understand that trash is a resource in this game, so mechanics-wise inherently a "positive" thing, but on the other hand value is in gathering the trash. The latter could be a way to condemn being wasteful, leaving trash out there in the wild, and promoting recycling/upcycling.
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2016, 12:55:56 PM »

Well, people might interpret that as trivialising a major environmental issue...

You could also investigate if you could somehow bring awareness to this problem through the gameplay, without being preachy about it. I understand that trash is a resource in this game, so mechanics-wise inherently a "positive" thing, but on the other hand value is in gathering the trash. The latter could be a way to condemn being wasteful, leaving trash out there in the wild, and promoting recycling/upcycling.

All jokes aside, we do want to subtly hint at environmental issues that are prevalent in today's society.
We have a few plans for it, but the game and gameplay will definitely give a take on it. (albeit in a funny, sarcastic manner)

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »

I love the art style you guys have going on!  Waaagh!

CRIMSON KEEP - First Person Action Roguelite
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »

[Issue] Buildings no longer check intersection.

Hmmm.... Cannot reproduce. *mark as fixed*

And then I found this!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:33:19 AM by fusedotcore » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic