Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: joniparker

April 18, 2024, 04:03:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175579 times)
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »

I love this concept. Excited to see more!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
antipirina
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

The water looks fantastic.
What is the shader and what is an animated sprite?
I'm making a game about a ship, and I was wondering how to make the water and I like what I'm seeing.
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »

The water looks fantastic.
What is the shader and what is an animated sprite?
I'm making a game about a ship, and I was wondering how to make the water and I like what I'm seeing.

Thanks Smiley
The water shader was made with Shaderforge in unity.
Its basically just different handpainted water textures moving on top of each other with different opacities and some color overlays and stuff.

The foam shader is made almost the same way, but with different foam textures masking each other out. But that one still needs some work. I don't know yet how to apply this one to a moving sea yet for instance, or to get it moving around the floating meshes perfectly.

I just started with shaders myself so I don't really know that much about it, but Shaderforge is easy enough if you can't code shaders yourself.
You can definitely learn a lot by just googleing tutorials or finding shader flowcharts of other people and tuning them to your needs Smiley
I even looked at some flowcharts from Unreal shaders for instance.

danthepob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »

The new water shader is slick. Love the water flow
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »

Cool idea to have a city management game on middle of an ocean. Gives you infinite space and no need for terrain. Also the art style tells me its gonna look gorgeous. Keep up the sweet work!  Beer!
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:34 AM »

@danthepob: Wazeau says thanks! :p

@Green Gospod: Yeah, there are going to some challenges though, like making everything interact with a waving terrain etc.

I never really posted the finished girl concept, so here goes, Octo-fishing girl!
She ties an octopus to a coat-rack and fishes mini-sharks with it when it's night. Good times.
One of the tests to see how far we can go with everything.

Click for better size. (or click the image)

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »

Fishing with octopuses/octopusi/octopus, awesome Smiley

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »

Environment updates are go!

Here's that mockup I did a while ago, but in COLOR! Note that the buildings are still the old ones and many of them will/have changed. Also Juwdah's new dudes are not in it.

But it should give you some idea of what we want the game to look like.

Click for bigger version.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »

That water looks really good, but the mockup has a lot more deep blue against white.
Are you still working on the shader, or have you just switched to a more gradient style?
Also I wouldn't mind more out there stuff like the octo-fisher, this could really benefit from hyper-stylization.
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »

@Canned Turkey Yeah the shader is still very much WIP. I'm gonna come back to it later when some more buildings are done.
It's a lot of trial and error cause I'm new to it, so we'll see where it ends up Smiley

As for the crazy stuff, YES! We want some more silly things like that for sure, and have some planned. We will share them later when they are more fleshed out.
One thing for sure is that we're not going for a super realistic game here. There's enough of those survival games out there already.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

@Canned-Turkey: Yeah, we're really testing how far we can go in stylization, and continue to do so.

Like seriously.. it COULD have been these stupid guys if we didn't try enough angles :p

That would have been terrible, haha!

Aaaaaanyway.. We've now "announced" it on facebook too! so if anyone wants to stay updated there,..
check us out at ------> Facebook

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »

It's that day again, time for a fresh screenshot!
Juwdah's been busy animating his ass (and other funny bits) of so expect some wicked moves soon.

Meanwhile wazeau's been smashing paintpixels to his textures all week long. See for yourself if it's been worth it. Wink
Spoiler: I think it was, but I might be prejudiced...

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »

strong borderlands vibes

So long and thanks for all the pi
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »

I may have missed it earlier in the devlog, but has anyone talked about the plan for the gameplay?

Like what is the player's goal and what are the things that stop the player from doing it?

Is it waterworld farmville?

Art looks awesome.  Me likey.

Caravan: devlog | website
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »

This looks cool . I really like how closely the actual graphics seem to imitate the concept art. I'm also curious about the gameplay.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »

Thanks all!

The biggest challenge in the game will be keeping your people alive. You'll have to find fresh water, food and building materials for them and we'll give you different options to obtain those. Each with it's advantages or disadvantages.
The gameplay itself will be in the spirit of games like Banished, Rimworld or Clockwork Empires. You don't control your people directly, but you can give them orders to build certain things or give them certain jobs. As said before, you'll have several challenges before you unique to living on the water. Building the right or wrong construction can have a big effect on your town, good or bad.

We're also planning to add a simple quest-system. For example, it might happen a kid comes floating on some wreckage to your base. When she arrives she tells you her parents are still out there. This gives you the choice to send one of your guys out there to search for the parents which can either mean your scout returns with the parents giving you additional villagers and workers, or it can also mean your scout gets lost and dies on the sea leaving you with a few helping hands less.
Additionally, even if you find these parents it also means more mouths to feed, with maybe a famine as a consequence.

Another feature we really want to implement is the floating base, I can't tell you much about that because we're still figuring out how exactly we'll implement this. But I'll try to explain as best as I can.
In Flotsam your base won't be locked in one point with the same resources around you like in other games. Instead your base and all the flotsam and other objects around it will be floating around on the currents of the ocean. Which adds a whole array of new challenges and options. You'll have flotsam and wreckage floating around and towards your base.
Let's say a ruined, old, but still floating ship passes you. That's a big jackpot for you because you can either salvage the ship for a lot of resources or try to restore it in working order. But you'll have to be fast, because if you aren't the ocean current might take it away before you even get to it.
Or a different example, say a storm happens or an ignorant whale just dives through your town causing to break and split in two different parts. Two different parts which can now float away causing you to lose the one or the other.
Don't worry, we're planning on giving you several options to control this. But as said before, we're still fleshing this out.

In short, we want you to face the same decisions and challenges that any people living in a flooded wasteland would face.

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:28 AM »

Loving the concepts on this project thus far. Definitely keeping an eye out for this one, I for one enjoyed Waterworld! Smiley

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »

Great concept, and love the art style.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 05:31:22 AM »

Oh wow this looks really cool!

I came over here from 42 Stories and was a bit gutted that you were leaving that 'on the bench' but this looks awesome already. Really like what you've shown so far

CraigSnedeker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »

Wow, looks great so far!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic