Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:21:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175910 times)
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2017, 01:08:13 AM »

the arts are amazingly cool  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks man! I've seen the twitter follow as well, I appreciate your enthousiasm Smiley

Been doing some progress with underwater terrain testings.

Here's some "grass" that moves (just a direction I give it now, water-current direction soon)

And some underwater terrain tests, (as well as how the grass actually looks in scene view, still WIP though)

I'll make some more gifs of underwater terrain that's put together soon.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: May 13, 2017, 03:33:53 AM »

Very cool!

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 13, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »

@Seiseki: Thanks man!

It was itching so I made a small test with the water depth and the whale.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

Oh, one question about Blender and Unity.  How do you deal with the issue of model rotation due to different coordinate systems?  I found a script that can "rotate" the axes in Blender but then editing the model becomes different since the coordinate axes have been changed. So, I just wonder if there's a better way.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

Oh, one question about Blender and Unity.  How do you deal with the issue of model rotation due to different coordinate systems?  I found a script that can "rotate" the axes in Blender but then editing the model becomes different since the coordinate axes have been changed. So, I just wonder if there's a better way.

Thanks man!
You can choose the axis in .fbx export settings, you can install a custom unity export script as well.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

Oh, one question about Blender and Unity.  How do you deal with the issue of model rotation due to different coordinate systems?  I found a script that can "rotate" the axes in Blender but then editing the model becomes different since the coordinate axes have been changed. So, I just wonder if there's a better way.

Thanks man!
You can choose the axis in .fbx export settings, you can install a custom unity export script as well.
I tried all combinations with the axes in the .fbx export settings but none of them worked.  The script that I mentioned applies rotation to transform:
After applying fix, rotation transform will be:
Simple Rotation: x:90, y: -0, z:0
Full Rotation:   x:90, y: -0, z:-180
Then it's simple to export the model because none of the .fbx export settings axes need to be changed.  But editing the model with the modified transform seemed to move things along a different axis then what I expected.  So my current approach is basically to apply the "fix" and export the model but not save the blender file.  Just have to remember to apply the "fix" if I change the model, but at least the model showing up with a different rotation in Unity is a good reminder if I forget to. Smiley

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2017, 04:50:45 AM »

Looking good! Smiley

Thanks man!
I tried all combinations with the axes in the .fbx export settings but none of them worked.  The script that I mentioned applies rotation to transform:
After applying fix, rotation transform will be:
Simple Rotation: x:90, y: -0, z:0
Full Rotation:   x:90, y: -0, z:-180
Then it's simple to export the model because none of the .fbx export settings axes need to be changed.  But editing the model with the modified transform seemed to move things along a different axis then what I expected.  So my current approach is basically to apply the "fix" and export the model but not save the blender file.  Just have to remember to apply the "fix" if I change the model, but at least the model showing up with a different rotation in Unity is a good reminder if I forget to. Smiley

It's pretty easy to write your own export button which does it all for you though. Blender is really good for customizing.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2017, 06:06:19 AM »

That whale is quite terrifying and very majestic. Cool to see the underwater world getting some love!

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »

That whale is quite terrifying and very majestic. Cool to see the underwater world getting some love!

Thanks!
I've actually come to realisation that I almost created Namek under water.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

Sneak in an easter egg referencing DBZ!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »

It's pretty easy to write your own export button which does it all for you though. Blender is really good for customizing.
Thanks for the tip! Will do!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: May 17, 2017, 05:10:04 AM »

Oh, one question about Blender and Unity.  How do you deal with the issue of model rotation due to different coordinate systems?  I found a script that can "rotate" the axes in Blender but then editing the model becomes different since the coordinate axes have been changed. So, I just wonder if there's a better way.

This is the script I use to export the selected objects in my scene
Make sure you freeze scale and rotation first:

bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(
            use_selection=True,
            filepath=fn + "" + ".fbx",
            axis_forward='-Z', axis_up='Y',
            global_scale=1,
            bake_space_transform=True,
            apply_unit_scale=False
            )   

You can find more operators here.

I also got a superlong but fishy export script that exports all models seperately, but I'm not sure if it's that great.
I'm just a beginner at scripting, so if you find a blender--->unity tool or script, fire away Smiley

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »

This is the script I use to export the selected objects in my scene
Make sure you freeze scale and rotation first:

bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(
            use_selection=True,
            filepath=fn + "" + ".fbx",
            axis_forward='-Z', axis_up='Y',
            global_scale=1,
            bake_space_transform=True,
            apply_unit_scale=False
            )   

You can find more operators here.

I also got a superlong but fishy export script that exports all models seperately, but I'm not sure if it's that great.
I'm just a beginner at scripting, so if you find a blender--->unity tool or script, fire away Smiley

I'm totally not a 3D modeler, but just learning to in my spare time, and I'm about to export a little viking dude from Blender to Unity. Thanks for the heads up on this problem and for your solution! Toast Right

I'm quiet on this thread, but I read all your updates. I'm still very excited for Flotsam! Smiley Continued luck!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: May 19, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »

woah, first time I see this project, love the art style!

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »

I'm totally not a 3D modeler, but just learning to in my spare time, and I'm about to export a little viking dude from Blender to Unity. Thanks for the heads up on this problem and for your solution! Toast Right

I'm quiet on this thread, but I read all your updates. I'm still very excited for Flotsam! Smiley Continued luck!

Ha, pretty cool to know there are lurkers in this thread, I actually wondered if people did that  Coffee

woah, first time I see this project, love the art style!

Thanks man! We're doing what we can :D

Here's a dude on fire

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 22, 2017, 08:08:24 AM »

I'm having wayyy too much fun with simple rocks and boulders.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »

Nice underwear
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »

It makes him feel breezy, but warm and apparently it's fire proof.

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »

Ha, pretty cool to know there are lurkers in this thread, I actually wondered if people did that  Coffee

Count me among them, I'm a big city builder/village sim fan and the novel approach of this is so appealing. Plus it helps that everything is gorgeous Tongue

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:55 AM »

Count me among them, I'm a big city builder/village sim fan and the novel approach of this is so appealing. Plus it helps that everything is gorgeous Tongue

This is neat! I'll try and get as much updates / rundowns / explanations on the devlog as I can, being on the project this long probably skews my view on what we actually already shared and I'm sure it made me miss posting some of the most obvious things we are actually making/implementing  Gomez

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic