Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:41:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175953 times)
FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »

Hey, first off- nice project! I've been lurking on the devlog for a bit. The game looks really beautiful and original so far- I can't wait to try it at some point.

Just an observation- Not that you're going for a realistic sim, but the floating cars... They stand out to me as unnaturally buoyant. Are you going for actual sink or float scientific authenticity? I'm pretty sure abandoned cars  are 'sinkers'.. Tongue
(not sure the nature of gameplay and such, so sorry if i'm missing something)

cheerz

-Fro-gAH-nus
SaNoBen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »

I'm really digging this game's aesthetic. I've always wanted to play a game like Banished but the bar for success felt too high because of how high-realism everything is. This game feels like a much lighter take on the genre with all the reward of building your own city intact.

I also just love the immediate mystery you get when playing with ocean environments.
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »

Hey, first off- nice project! I've been lurking on the devlog for a bit. The game looks really beautiful and original so far- I can't wait to try it at some point.

Just an observation- Not that you're going for a realistic sim, but the floating cars... They stand out to me as unnaturally buoyant. Are you going for actual sink or float scientific authenticity? I'm pretty sure abandoned cars  are 'sinkers'.. Tongue
(not sure the nature of gameplay and such, so sorry if i'm missing something)

cheerz

Thanks for the kind words! We can't wait to put it into people's hands  Beer!

We're a bit torn on the cars as well. As is, we really like them floating around as they give a nice "oh hey there's a car over there" feeling (which is good for readability as well), they fit the style and give a special kind of resource (mussels) which is a different way of getting food. (+ the mussel pun is too much fun to leave be)
On the other side, well, cars don't float! We're still finding the balance in what we think should or should not float but taking fun over realism is usually going to be the way to go for us.

When concepting other flotsam pieces we want showing up, the question quite often comes back.
Such as this:

Still can't decide if I want it in or not.
Luckily for the cars, we had to make them anyway (for different, unknown totally secret reasons) and just threw them in there as flotsam pieces and added a sprinkle of mussels and BAM, we really liked them. Hoping everyone else does as well now.

I'm really digging this game's aesthetic. I've always wanted to play a game like Banished but the bar for success felt too high because of how high-realism everything is. This game feels like a much lighter take on the genre with all the reward of building your own city intact.

I also just love the immediate mystery you get when playing with ocean environments.

Yes! we always wondered why people didn't try new, fresh takes on the city building genre. Usually it's big modern cities, medieval towns or mars colonies. I'm sure the history of the world and people's minds can come up with more than that. (those games are still damned good though, you should definitely try Banished)

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:30 AM »

Amazing arts!

My last game:

Supporter of
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »

Amazing arts!

Cheers!

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »

Here's some old concept art we didn't share before!
We needed some more small boats for your drifters to use at the start of the game. And what better way is there than to cruise around with some pedalo's! We're constantly trying to add more quirkiness to Flotsam, I hope these do the trick Corny Laugh

The top ones are based on an upside-down car. At least having cars floating in this way makes a bit more sense than the ones in the posts above Tongue
I think I'll probably make both the top and bottom versions cause I like them both a lot. We can probably reuse the pedaloing (is this a word?) animation anyway.

On the left we got some concepts for the poles where drifters will dock their boats.
We opted to have mooring points like this so your drifters don't just dock anywhere they want. This would have blocked the town constantly and could have caused frustration. This way the player has some more control over the traffic in and around the town.

Juless
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: August 20, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »

I will take you guys through a short technical overview of the process so far when creating animated character portraits. The result, shown below, is an animated portrait of the currently selected agent which displayed in the bottom right corner.

My first idea was adding a camera to a fixed transform that moves with the character itself and rendering that to a texture. This would allow the player to see the agent in its current animation state too which seemed cool at first. After giving it a second thought it would probably not be very desirable in situations where the agent is swimming and the angle would just feel weird too if the player is swimming on a vertical plane while the camera was meant for an agent standing up etcetera.

The second idea I had, which turned out to be the idea I used for the current implementation, was making a copy from the agent and rendering that to a texture. Copying the agent has a few advantages over the previous approach. For example, the animator can be controlled independently from what the actual agent is doing in the game. Another example is the lighting, this can be adapted to the needs of a portrait instead of the scene lighting that looks quite arbitrary when displayed in a portrait.

The code.

Step 1. Check if the agent has already been duplicated. If it hasn't create a copy and move it under the scene, where the lighting for the portraits has been set. If a copy already existed, simply enable it.

Step 2. Update the copy's animator to be idle so the portrait always shows an idle (or custom in the future) animation.

The setup.

Step 1. Make a dedicated spot in the scene for rendering the portraits. This is done at -1000 y in our case. This is isolated enough from the rest of the game. Place your camera here and a transform that will determines the position where the generated character should pose to get some good shots.

Step 2. Have the camera for the portraits render to a texture by setting a RenderTexture in the camera settings (see gif below.)

Step 3. Display that texture on your canvas. This can be done using a Raw Image.

Step 4. Set the camera settings for the desired effect! I only wanted the agents to be drawn so I set the culling for the camera to only display that layer. I also wanted it transparant so the background from our camera setup is not drawn over the screen. Unity makes this really simple to achieve by just setting the clear flag to solid color.

All done! This is not the finished in-game version yet. This will be combined with some custom UI soon to make everything blend together nicely.

I thought you would appreciate a technical breakdown from time to time, let me know what you think!  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:18:30 PM by Juless » Logged

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 29, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »

Something you've all been waiting for, finally here! Custom flotsam emoticons!!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: August 30, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »

Woah the little skull is so good!

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »

Woah the little skull is so good!

Hand Metal Left Blink Hand Metal Right

We made some new flotsam pieces, widening the options of making different thematic garbage islands!
also, "beep boop"

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 02, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »

Nope nope nope nope

Reminds me of:

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »

Nope nope nope nope

Reminds me of:

Holy mother of nepture, that's scary!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 03, 2017, 02:40:34 AM »

IKR?

Do you peeps have "Nature Documentary Fridays" or something? Because I think it could be massively inspirational to the team Tongue
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 03, 2017, 03:19:12 AM »

IKR?

Do you peeps have "Nature Documentary Fridays" or something? Because I think it could be massively inspirational to the team Tongue

I'll just install a tv in the eating room with Nature documentaries on autoplay.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:48 AM »

10/10 would work at your place Hand Thumbs Up Left
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 03, 2017, 08:02:16 AM »

10/10 would work at your place Hand Thumbs Up Left

Oh there's more.
An infinite stream of almost-good puns, spitting llama's and constant fear of impending doom.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 03, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »

But that's just another day in Belgium, is it not?
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 04, 2017, 06:58:14 AM »

But that's just another day in Belgium, is it not?

Give or take.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »

Here's some better views of "city garbage islands"
It's nice getting thematical areas in there, slow and steady. These are just tests for now. (nothing balanced gameplay wise)

ydobemos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 06, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »

Nice art direction and color palette on everything. Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but it feels like the look just aches for cel-shaded outlines on things (especially given your concept art). Have you considered that?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic