Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:00:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175657 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »

I've done a detailpass on the Desalinator. We found it to be too busy from up close AND from a distance. Resulting on overal bad readability. A detailpass was necessary.

Started out with a simple overpaint:

Reducing detail on the planks meant I had to make new models (which could also be re-used) that had crushed details. I made some floorboards in various sizes as well as ruined ones.

Removing detail is quite easy. (creating something with the right amount of detail is not, I have found)
Here's a pass that was readable from a glance:

In-game

Really interesting to see removal of detail and how you went about simplifying it, it looks great now.
Thanks!  Gomez I always think I might've wasted time on reworking things but in general it's what's going to make the game look perfectly balanced in the end. (art wise)

I forgot to show this breakdown too:

Basically, there's a different version of the Buoy with a crafted inside (pretty simple) that you can see when they salvage it on the water. (like the breakdown slider but with every hit of the drifter.

It all goes by pretty fast but it's still a more interesting sight than grabbing a full Buoy and smashing that whole thing in a small boat could ever be Smiley

The first gif made me bit skeptical because the solid untextured MDF board looked pretty ugly to me, but the more tightly aligned planks without see-through or thick black outlines at the end strikes a great balance!

EDIT: pagination, quoted last three posts
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 17, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »

The first gif made me bit skeptical because the solid untextured MDF board looked pretty ugly to me, but the more tightly aligned planks without see-through or thick black outlines at the end strikes a great balance!

EDIT: pagination, quoted last three posts

Thanks! Yeah, Wazeau had the same fear actually  Noir
But honestly I knew what I was going for so I didn't feel an urge to paint planks, I wanted to test them out in 3D.

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »

Been following for a while and it's coming along great!

Have you made any considerations regarding music yet?

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 17, 2018, 10:57:28 PM »

Been following for a while and it's coming along great!

Have you made any considerations regarding music yet?

Thanks!
We've been working with a composer for a while now

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: April 22, 2018, 06:23:58 AM »

Hey ppl!

Inspired by the spring weather in Belgium, I made this barbecue building design!
We needed a lowest tier building for creating food. Something that can be crafted in the first minutes of the game.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 25, 2018, 05:49:23 AM »

Did a write-up about our 3D pipeline!

Check it out here:
http://www.pajamallama.be/devlog/making-desalinator-part-1/

Gomez Gomez Gomez

Davmasso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 02, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

Great game! i've been keeping an eye on it for some months, i cant wait for the alpha!  Kiss

and i don't know if here is a good place to ask this but, i just got a switch and for some reason your game came to my mind.
is there any posibility that with time you could adapt the game to be playable in switch?
i know this is a really early question, but anyway, i think it would be a really cool game to play in that console.

sorry for bothering with the question if this is not the place where to do so (i'm really new to the forums Shrug)

finally, just say that i'm really looking forward to play it on PC anyway! keep up the good work! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 03, 2018, 01:29:09 AM »

Great game! i've been keeping an eye on it for some months, i cant wait for the alpha!  Kiss

and i don't know if here is a good place to ask this but, i just got a switch and for some reason your game came to my mind.
is there any posibility that with time you could adapt the game to be playable in switch?
i know this is a really early question, but anyway, i think it would be a really cool game to play in that console.

sorry for bothering with the question if this is not the place where to do so (i'm really new to the forums Shrug)

finally, just say that i'm really looking forward to play it on PC anyway! keep up the good work! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hey, thanks for the kind words!

We want to do a switch release, or any other console release for that matter. But we can't guarantee anything before the game releases on PC. It will most likely only be decided after that.  Gomez

These forums are fine for any questions! If you prefer a more chat-based approach you can always join our discord: https://discord.gg/HuDBPsk  Beer!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: May 03, 2018, 04:44:41 AM »

Unintended bump.. but I forgot to post the screenshot Saturday here. Here ya'll go!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: May 05, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »

And here's todays screenshot Saturday!
We wanted to highlight the feature that our drifters are procedurally generated.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 12, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »

Small feature by feature, we added the option to demolish your own buildings.

Here's a guy storing his storage yard into his storage yard.

Davmasso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »

Hey, thanks for the kind words!

We want to do a switch release, or any other console release for that matter. But we can't guarantee anything before the game releases on PC. It will most likely only be decided after that.  Gomez

These forums are fine for any questions! If you prefer a more chat-based approach you can always join our discord: https://discord.gg/HuDBPsk  Beer!

Woah! that's so cool! thanks for answering! i'll be waiting for the PC release and if some day comes for switch i'll be even happier!

i can't wait to finally play it!  Hand Metal Left Corny Laugh Hand Metal Right

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 17, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »

Glad to see such enthusiasm!  Gomez
Always fills the team with joy

I noticed I never dropped the new water update in here, here goes:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »

Oh that is good. I can practically feel those waves! Shocked
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

Oh that is good. I can practically feel those waves! Shocked

I know, right?!
It's going to take some time to implement them as they might cause physics bugs, etc.
But it'll be well worth it

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 19, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »

Can't believe we're at a 100 Screenshotsaturdays already, but here it is!
A comparison between our first screenshotsaturday and the game right now.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »

it's kind of scary to think one day we could be living in a world completely covered by water!

i like your idea and this is something i'd definitely give a try :D

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 26, 2018, 11:16:21 AM »

it's kind of scary to think one day we could be living in a world completely covered by water!

i like your idea and this is something i'd definitely give a try :D

If it happens, atleast we shared totally 100% correct information on how to survive!

We've added sailboat wreckages, these are salvageable for cloth. A new resource  Well, hello there!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »

Ah it's been so long since I've been here, I'm so glad to see you're still working on this!

It looks SO much better than in that 1st screenshot.

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: May 29, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »

Excellent progress lads!
The underwater flora is helping so much making it all look good!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic