Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:24:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 174322 times)
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »

Hey guys!

Because today it's World Water Day we made 2 screenshots of Flotsam to promote the game a bit more.
I thought I'd post them here too. It's a before and after shot of the recycling work a drifter has done. Smiley

Also quoting our last post because it got paged now:

@JobLeonard We're still looking how much is possible. If we'd do it, we'd like to do it right.  Wink

@Gear Yes! That was also something we were thinking about.  Grin

@Tox2000
Thanks, there's no stopping us now!

Anyway, on the request of wazeau I've implemented a new construction system. Since wazeau creates the different constructions from a whole lot of different parts I wrote a little script that gradually builds up the constructions from these little parts. Some examples you can see here, without burly building sailors for now.  Wink

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »

awesome to see the game already capturing some of that great concept art
Fayer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »

Man, this looks amazing!

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »

I love the art style. This is looking really cool. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Lautaro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »

Very nice concept.

Will there be attacks of pirates? (maybe like the smokers of Water World?)

My Steam games:

Beastmancer -- Nomad Fleet
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »

This is looking incredible guys! On top of the previous comments on the floating dead guy I think the right direction in audio would help it feel more comical, i.e. the music could be more playful/cheerful or when the "dead" villager is being poked he/she could be making grunting sounds haha

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »

Thanks everybody!

We'd love to have hostiles like pirates (and we even have some great ideas for it). But we're not sure what's possible yet. We're careful not to overreach. But if things go well, who knows?  Wink

In other news, we got our first mention on a games-site!
Techraptor featured us on their screenshot survey and had nice things to say. It might not be much, but we like that we're getting noticed.  Grin

Meanwhile I've been busy squashing bugs the last weeks and it seems I'm finally getting close to a (relatively) stable build. Which just means I'm ready to add new stuff again. Grin
See you soon!

Interactionman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »

LOVE everything about this so far! The setting, the art style, everything, it all looks really cool.
Look forward to more updates Smiley

YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »

@blinkok has just been retweeting a bunch of the images from February, the whole thing looks super interesting, but this cute octopus is what's got me sold. Look at him! It's so cute :D
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »

Hey guys,

It's screenshot saturday again.

Today we're showing a wreckage!
While you'll obviously see a lot of Flotsam, you will come across different kinds of wreckages all over the flooded world as well. These can be taken apart and salvaged by your inhabitants for their parts (think: mining) and provide a sturdier pack of resources than singular flotsam pieces.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:11:58 PM by Juwdah » Logged

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »

This looks amazing!  Kiss

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2015, 01:28:53 AM »

Huh, how did I miss this? I love building simulators, and one with this unique concept will definitely be a must buy!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »

Thanks guys!

We're upholding our tradition for screenshot Saturday. It actually helps pushing us to add new little features from our list.
This time I added colliding flotsam to the game. Flotsam now bumps into your base and stays there, piling up as you move on. Later we want that to have an effect on the base as well, for example damaging it when the flotsam's too big.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »

Lovely visuals? Check

Nautical theme? Check

Following? Check

Saw your post in screenshot saturday and was really impressed with the attention to detail and subtle effect of the flotsam buildup. I'll be going through this devlog from the beginning with post haste!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »

We're glad we finally got your checklist checked off. Wink

Looks like you're doing not so bad with your Adventure Apes neither, good job!

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

Really wonderful visual style and a very inspiring setting Smiley I hope there'll eventually also be the ability to dive (at least to a limited extent).

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »

Screenshot Saturday Time!

The house variations I made last week turned up ingame Gomez
We made these with some base parts that are always the same and add unique parts like doors, windows, chimneys, roofplates and other random stuff to make each of them more unique. Most of these things will be reusable so we can save some time, like the boat doors for the boats.
We're also trying to figure out how to have some color variations, cause they all have the same basecolor now. We also want the lights of the windows to go on only if people are inside or at night. But those will need some shader magic.

CLICK for BIG

This is the house based on these sketches I posted earlier (hopefully I'll be able to make another one of these at some point)

CLICK is BIG

See you next week! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:44:43 AM by wazeau » Logged

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »

Oh yes, I forgot to add this breakdown image.
These are all the parts the different houses consist of.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

Uuuh charming home sweet homes. Will these houses be actually customizable as the game goes?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

Uuuh charming home sweet homes. Will these houses be actually customizable as the game goes?

Hmm, one thing we're thinking about in relation to customizing is non-cosmetic functional upgrades, before we do cosmetic stuff. So things that actually have effect on gameplay. For the houses this could be choosing between wood/plastic/metal materials, or upgrades like a rain barrel for water collecting or chimney for a warmth bonus.

But note that these are just some ideas we have that aren't final Smiley We want to focus on making different buildings first, because that's the most important for the flow of the game right now.
Suggestions like these are always welcome ofc Tongue
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:02:52 PM by wazeau » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic