Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:35:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTidepool, a codable storytelling world for kids
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Tidepool, a codable storytelling world for kids  (Read 45819 times)
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2016, 06:14:03 AM »

Yesterday I added the deck editor (notice new toolbar button), which allows you to add cards to anything in-game.  Then when you click on something with a deck, the first card will show.  This is especially useful as you enter a story or a scene, since it lets you add narration.  You can also add help text to any of your agents or items.

This is your basic rich text editor, with add/remove and nav at the top.  The results are HTML, though there's no easy way to add images or links yet.  I've got other things to do before I even think about that, so we'll stick with basic Evernote functionality.

I'm already seven hours behind schedule, so there's no time to finesse things.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2016, 03:34:35 AM »

As a developer and manager, the toughest choices are between the "right" and the "right now".  Choose the former too often and you blow up the schedule.  Choose the latter too much and you build something no one wants.

Case in point ... yesterday I "finished" card decks.  Here you see an easel. Click on it and it shows the first card in its deck.

As with any new feature, improvements soon became obvious.  I want the box size remembered.  I want a card-wide background color.  I want an easy way to center text (you're seeing an indent).  I want a thumbnail showing in the easel.  These are all "right" choices.  But I'd already gone over the four hours I had scheduled for this feature, so I dumped these thoughts into a future issue and moved on.  

The discipline to choose "right now" is the essence of professional programming.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:15 AM »

Yesterday I finished the compass UI, or at least reached the point where I was satisfied enough to move on.  It toggles with that left-most button and shows your bearing.  You'll also be able to click the direction buttons to move to the "north" scene, "south" scene, etc.

teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2016, 07:12:41 AM »

Big news!  I just registered for GDC in San Francisco in seven weeks.  It'll be my first time attending this biggest gathering of game developers, where I hope to show Tidepool as I did at ISTE last June.  Convincing my wife to spend another $2000 was a tough sell, though the timing was just too good.

For months now, my project deadline has been March 21st.  By then, I need to switch to fully paid work, at least until the end of summer.  GDC coincidentally falls in the last week before this deadline, so if I'm to finish Tidepool's beta by then, it's a great place to show things off and connect with people.

Today is the first of fifty days till I leave for San Francisco, which fittingly was where Tidepool was born (at an OLPC conference).  Fifty days to finish the beta.   Fifty days to raise enough money to continue.   Fifty days to show the benefits of what I've done.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:32:12 AM by teefal » Logged
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just posted a new installer of Tidepool which adds compass navigation, version branching, and card decks, along with 40 bug fixes.  This is just one step on the way to our next big Alpha 4 release later this month.  Here's a video showing off the the latest features.

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »

Heya, I haven't read the full devlog yet, in fact I'm only on page two, but I would just like to say I think this may be one of the most meaningful games I've ever seen. If I had this as a kid I know I would of loved and obsessed over it. I'm glad and happy that someone is trying to develop it. Goodluck  Hand Thumbs Up Right

eh
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2016, 05:01:38 AM »

Thanks Oats.  You just made my morning.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:25 AM »

Looking neat! One suggestion that might make things a lot less confusing but should be fairly easy to implement: tooltips on the compass buttons showing where they lead.

teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

Tidepool’s Kickstarter campaign launches this Monday, and we really need your help.

After more than two years, we’re FINALLY ready to go public in a big way, both in the press and at GDC, the world’s biggest game developer’s conference.

Please consider becoming a backer (for as little as $1) and telling at least two other people. Kickstarter is all about momentum. When others see you backing, they’ll more likely back too. We need our friends to get things rolling.

I’ll send another email on Monday when it’s live. For now, save the date, talk to your spouse, check your budget. Next week is our make-or-break time. Please help us this one last time Smiley

Take care,
Tim
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »

Hi everyone,

Greetings from San Francisco. After 17 hours of travel, I just arrived at my hotel room and clicked GO on the Tidepool Kickstarter campaign.

See it live at http://backTidepool.com

Please, please consider backing Tidepool, even if it’s only for $1. The early days of a Kickstarter campaign determine its momentum. If you back us now, we have a better shot at reaching our goal.

Also, please forward this email to at least two people you know. If each of you did this, and we all gave $25, we’d reach the goal. Also, mention the web address on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

If nothing else, watch our new trailer halfway down the page. Some great Isabel baby shots in there Smiley

Take care,
Tim
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »

It's still credit-card only, which I don't have :/
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »

Wow, for some reason I'd expected other payment options.  What ways around this have Kickstarter campaigns done?
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the great start today.  When I heard we got picked as a Kickstarter "Project We Love" I got so excited that I ran and told several complete strangers. Luckily, I'm at GDC, the Game Developers Conference, so these strangers know how hard it is to get a game funded.

My voice is hoarse from talking about Tidepool all day. The reception has been amazing, but I'm exhausted, as this photo shows.  Please save my voice and spread the word. Smiley

Tim

teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2016, 07:46:37 AM »

The new Tidepool trailer, starring my daughter as a baby.  Please back us at http://backTidepool.com

teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »

Walk silently through crowds at crosswalks, glide smoothly up escalators in the Moscone expanse, our badged brethren have a thousand looks: the foot-shifting excited glances, the self-assured professional air, the concealed worry.  Among us are dreamers desperate to be heard, walking past the very connection they need to change their life, to make their career.

Three days I’ve spoken with the experienced, the bewildered, the fun. So welcome is our mutual interest, we validate, we remind each other that the world is odd, not us. Within the magic space of games, we find consolation, redemption, each other.

And here now back at the very place Tidepool began, eating at the same diner, pacing the same walkways, I’m reminded of the gifts this journey has given. Whatever the future may hold for my own persoanl dream, I’m thankful for the creative freedom of the last two years, for the many inspired talks. I’m grateful for the very possibility, of the backbreaking honest work behind me, of a vision that has never dimmed, that still excites me each time I tell it.

In these halls no doubt there are those to take me forward, but even if we never meet, if I return to Pennsylvania without the certainty of a next step, I’ll have tried. I’ve put myself completely out there. And while years hence I may wonder “what if” in tender moments, these fleeting thoughts are but smoke compared to the solid, undisputed effort that led me here.

Or, today I may find in the crowds my connection. With both hope for a favorable future and acceptance in the face of falling short, I am doubly blessed.

Great things are possible! Knowing this is the miracle, and enough.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2016, 12:15:58 AM »

And while years hence I may wonder “what if” in tender moments, these fleeting thoughts are but smoke compared to the solid, undisputed effort that led me here.

Or, today I may find in the crowds my connection. With both hope for a favorable future and acceptance in the face of falling short, I am doubly blessed.

Great things are possible! Knowing this is the miracle, and enough.
Hand Clap Grin

(this is especially nice to read after the older posts where you were much to hard on yourself)
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »

Thanks JobLeonard.  I can always count on TIGSource.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »

(from last Friday morning)

Hi everyone,

We're at 10% after 4 days!  Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm heading out to my last day at GDC, which has been an incredible.  Many of the game developers I've met have said they wished Tidepool was around when they were young. The level of face-to-face enthusiasm I've receiving is truly motivating.

Please continue to help spread the word.  If you're on Twitter, simply click here to tweet about Tidepool.  (You can customize the message.)

Take care,

Tim

teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »

I'm back home and rested from my incredible week at GDC. While there, I spoke to more than a hundred people about Tidepool, receiving 81 contacts which I'll soon email.

Please remember that Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. If we don't reach $18,000, we won't get a single dollar. Please continue to spread the world, using these handy links:

Twitter: click here
Facebook: click here
Google: click here

Thank you so much to our first 30 backers. Each of you have given us hope to continue.  We'll never forget it.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »

I don't have many followers, but I retweeted the announcement Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic