Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:03:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTidepool, a codable storytelling world for kids
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Tidepool, a codable storytelling world for kids  (Read 48292 times)
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »

Thank you JobLeonard!
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »

http://backTidepool.com
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »

I'm posting daily one-liners "reasons" to Twitter/Facebook/Gplus, each ending with:  Please http://backTidepool.com

Here are the first three.

Tidepool reason #1 .. Because we need a kid-made play world on the Internet.

Tidepool reason #2 .. Because most primary schools don't really teach problem solving.

Tidepool reason #3 .. Because adults can't make a kids world because they've forgotten how to play.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2016, 05:14:04 AM »

Tidepool reason #4 .. Because the jobs of the future won't resemble what we're teaching today.

Please http://backTidepool.com
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:51 AM »

Here's a sample of chat-coding with Tidepool's cognitive agent (named Waverly here).

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »

Very natural language like, looks good.

I guess it is effectively stateful, imperative programming?
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2016, 06:41:41 AM »

Yes, each agent (or character) in your story has its own context.  You chat with agents and their understanding changes over time.

There's a base syntax (seen echoed by the agent here) and a natural language engine on top that translates to make it easier to code.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »

Have you tried breaking the latter to see if you can make it interpret nonsensical sentences?
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:42 AM »

I don't have to try hard to break at this point Smiley   The cognitive agent is the focus on our next milestone.  If the Kickstarter funds, we'll be done with it in May.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:32:25 AM by teefal » Logged
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

They just posted an article about Tidepool at MMO Central, a gaming magazine. Click here to read it.

"Tidepool really does seem interesting and I hope we get to see more of it in the future. Kids are the future of gaming and getting them interested in making games will get them excited about coding and technology."

Please continue telling your friends to http://backTidepool.com.  We're 15% funded and 30% into our campaign, so we really need your help spreading the word.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:19:47 AM by teefal » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

Put this in a tweet, it might draw the attention of programmers on Twitter.
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »

Hi Tim, I think the link may be broken in your last post.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

Fixed now. Thanks.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »

Tidepool reason #5 .. Because play is a better teacher than discipline.

Please http://backTidepool.com
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2016, 01:16:41 AM »

Tim, maybe you missed my earlier suggestion? I really would put that GIF in a tweet.

Plus, find more things to tweet about; there's a fine line between promotion and spamming, but you're nowhere near spam levels yet!
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »

Funny you should say that.  Yesterday I felt like I was in super-spam mode.  I'm not sure I'm obnoxious enough for this.

Anyway, today the realization set in that I'm not going to make my goal.  I'm at 21% with 20 days to go (33% of time has passed). Even with a last week surge, I'm just not seeing it.  Even if every person who liked it at GDC gave $75, I'd only get halfway there.

My Kickstarter goal was the minimum I'd need to finish Tidepool this summer.  Anything less and I can't justify losing my current billable client. This means I likely won't finish this year, if ever.

And the part that kills me is that *everyone* I talk to about Tidepool loves the idea.  Kids really love it.  The market is certainly there. I just can't break through people's apathy and short-attention spans.  Or maybe I'm fooling myself and people are just being nice to me.

Anyway, I can at least say I gave it my all.  I worked *so* hard for the last two months (two years really) and can honestly say I did my best.

Now to make back the money I lost because of this wonderous, foolish dream.

I did tweet the GIF though Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »

Retweeted; sadly I've never gotten into Twitter so I doubt it will help much.

But hey, you tried man. You're still trying.

You took something you genuinely believe in and went for it, for years, because dammit, it matters. That's takes more guts than most people display during their entire life. Nobody will ever take that from you. I don't think there's any project on TigSource right now where the developer has put as much of his heart and soul into something greater than themselves, and you can be damn proud of that.

"You're not a loser, Eddie, you're a winner. Some men never get to feel that way about anything."

Coffee
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »

Wow, that was something.  And you're right.  No one but me really knows the power of the framework I've written.  It's the best thing I've ever made.

Kinda like the Old Man and the Sea, only the sharks at the end are ... people's lack of time.

Thank you for your time.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »

Tidepool reason #6 .. Because mistakes should be the start of creativity, not the end of it.  Please http://backTidepool.com
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2016, 05:24:17 AM »

Tidepool reason #7 .. Because coding is much more than blocks, loops, and branches.  Please http://backTidepool.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic