Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:53:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 1  (Read 182024 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »

With the GBA well on it's way out, it's unlikely a publisher would be interested.
Bah, I say, bah!
I'd buy it.
If we really wanted to we could go the Qwak route, or even just have a ROM for people with flashcarts :D. Regardless, I'd love to see this on my GBA.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »

Wait, so who is programming this then?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »

BMcC, if I read right.

Bah, I say, bah!
I'd buy it.
If we really wanted to we could go the Qwak route, or even just have a ROM for people with flashcarts Cheesy. Regardless, I'd love to see this on my GBA.

More people can play it if it's not.  And there's a few problems with the QUAK cart method, from GBA SP incompatibilities, little profit, lots of leftover stock, etc.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:59:06 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »

read the op kthnx

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

PoV:  Yeah, developing with portability in mind is still open at this point, and the tiles are Nintendo StandardTM 8x8, but I dunno if I wanna go that route, honestly.  I'd like to be able to take advantage of the, er, advantages of the PC, you know?  And I definitely don't want the project to get bogged down with extraneous plans.

That having been said, I'm sure that when it's done, it could be ported well.  It might just take a little more finesse.  Wink

Right now my #1 goal is Make A Great Game.  So... back to coding I go!

Keep posting!  I'll make proper responses soon.  I like what I'm seeing/hearing so far.  Smiley

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »

read the op kthnx

I only have the capacity to remember a maximum of three posts back. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »

Hmm. I could probably do any ports that need to be done. Not sure I have time to do real work on it, though.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »

PoV:  Yeah, developing with portability in mind is still open at this point, and the tiles are Nintendo StandardTM 8x8, but I dunno if I wanna go that route, honestly.  I'd like to be able to take advantage of the, er, advantages of the PC, you know?  And I definitely don't want the project to get bogged down with extraneous plans.

That having been said, I'm sure that when it's done, it could be ported well.  It might just take a little more finesse.  Wink

Oh I know what you mean.  While I do have a soft spot for the GBA, I'd gladly ditch it for flexibility.  And besides, ports can (and usually) take liberties depending on the platform.  So long as the code stays C or C++, a port to anything else will just be a matter of changing APIs, reorganizing assets, and handling other platform features.

I'm sure we'll come back to porting later.

So here's a fun question.  What graphics API are you planning to use?

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »

Been busy with IRL stuff the last few days, so I missed this exciting development. I'm so glad someone's stepping up to implementing one of Niklas' designs! The collab approach by this qualified community gives me hope that something serious will come of it, too.

A detail I thought would be cute is if the guy actually left a trail of pixels when he jumps like depicted here:

The trail could be like 4-5 pixel dots long, and just show up when he jumps. Also, perhaps little pixel puffs could be generated when he slides after changing running direction too. Just a couple of small ideas Smiley

BMcC, again, kudos for taking on the task! Please remember that while it is very exciting and fun now in the beginning, it's following through on the long slog that counts. Hopefully with the help and encouragement (and expectations) of everyone here, it'll be easier to reach the finish line.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:54:34 PM by Data » Logged
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »

Use this if you like it, if not, I've not spent too long on it, so don't worry about discarding it. This is intended for a lateral jump (rather than an "on the spot" jump), but at a push i could be used for both. 8 frames.

Looks like a tiny jumping chris crawford!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:04:54 PM by Bezzy » Logged

Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

haha great! I like it!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »

Looks like a tiny jumping chris crawford!

:D

This is awesome!  All we need now is:

• a walking animation
  • a "pulling myself up" animation
  • a ladder climbing animation

...and then I think we're set for the first milestone!  Graphics can always be tweaked later, but these look great.

The music sounds awesome, also!

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »

Just jumpin' in for some quick responses.  I'll be able to contribute more to the discussion later, but not just yet...

@PoV:  That's for me to know and you to find out.  Cool

@Data:  Oh, I'm going to pay special attention to the puffs, believe me.  They make or break a game.   Wink

And thanks for the kind words!  Don't you worry, all the excitement of making games died in me years ago.  I'm in this for the long haul.  Definitely keep on me, though.  It'll only help keep me focused.

@Bezzy:  Haha, that's nuts!  I like it.

Once I get the core engine done, I'd like to make more detailed plans for the animations.  I can't discuss it right now, but lemme throw this out there -- What does everyone think about more deliberate, physical movement for the character?  For example, instead of "sliding" up the ladders as platform game characters are so often wont to do, what do you think about him (Guy Balding) climbing up rung by rung?  Just a thought.

Alright, back to my notes.  Keep the ideas comin'.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »

This is awesome!  All we need now is:

• a walking animation
  • a "pulling myself up" animation
  • a ladder climbing animation

Yeah, walking, climbing, pulling up from ledges, and also pulling up from the tops of ladders.  Pushing could be useful, too...

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 03:38:35 PM »

For example, instead of "sliding" up the ladders as platform game characters are so often wont to do, what do you think about him (Guy Balding) climbing up rung by rung?  Just a thought.

the more little details like this, the better. Take advantage of it being a pc game and go friggin nuts with animation and ridiculous polish. That's the kind of stuff that makes a game memorable

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »

Can I put dibs on the "Climb Ledge" one? I'll try doing it in the next couple of days.

# The player can hang onto ledges, because it seems like a plausible ability, however, he can only pull himself up if he's not falling too fast, otherwise he'll lose the grip quickly. The same thing applies to grabbing onto ladders and other things.
I guess it's not for me to say, but I wouldn't do this, personally. The idea that the ability to climb up from a grip state being based on velocity... doesn't sound like it's going to feel "consistent". You're basing it off a discrete variable (velocity) which is less black and white than just a grip state.

I'd propose alternatives: that you can always get a grip, and always climb up from it, regardless of incoming velocity.

Or

You can always climb up from a grip, but if you fall past your jump height - 1 block, you cannot get a grip. That way you can grip same level platforms, but nothing lower.

# The player can jump about a tile high with a little margin. Since he can grab onto ledges, it's possible to climb 2 tiles high, but not 3.
Okay, so, what I'll do is, start with the Character gripping a ledge to his RIGHT, and then "scroll" the tile by (2,2) pixels, for 8 frames. So by the end of the 8 frames, the character has moved (16,16) from the original position, and is therefore directly ontop of the square he was previously clinging on the side of. Is that okay? Is it 16x16 for one square? Or is it 8? [Edit] Looks like 8 from the design doc. Easy enough. I'll just make it 8 steps of (1,1)

I'll make sure it has "speed" in mind so that you're not waiting too long for an animation to finish. However, no matter how fast, you'd always have a window of inactivity there. My tip is that if you re-press jump again while you're still in the middle of animation, you should snap the character to the end position of the animation, and have them start the jump from there - break the animation for the sake of keeping the player in control.

# The player can duck and crawl, and is a tile high while doing so. When pulling up from a ledge or coming up a ladder, he goes into crawl mode first, incase there's roof right above.
Noted!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:51:29 PM by Bezzy » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 03:41:55 PM »

For example, instead of "sliding" up the ladders as platform game characters are so often wont to do, what do you think about him (Guy Balding) climbing up rung by rung?  Just a thought.

the more little details like this, the better. Take advantage of it being a pc game and go friggin nuts with animation and ridiculous polish. That's the kind of stuff that makes a game memorable

My advice is that you have a pretty fast animation for ladder climbing - nothing more annoying than hitting a ladder and waiting for an excruciatingly slow animation - especially when you don't have much choice on a ladder. When this gets animated, I'd recommend Guy takes it about 4 rungs at a time Smiley. Keep him speedy.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »

Oh yeah, that reminds me.  Bezzy pointed out his animation is 8 frames, but really, don't even worry about the frame count.  Computers have got MEGS of memory now, I hear.  Wink

I'd love to see crazy smooth animations if people were up for it.  (BTW, the game's running at 60 FPS.)

I guess it's not for me to say, but I wouldn't do this, personally. The idea that the ability to climb up from a grip state being based on velocity... doesn't sound like it's going to feel "consistent."

Don't worry about that stuff 'til the movement's been ironed out a bit (and everyone's got playable builds).  I'm sure we can get the movement in this game juuustt right.

Okay, so, what I'll do is, start with the Character gripping a ledge to his RIGHT, and then "scroll" the tile by (2,2) pixels, for 8 frames. So by the end of the 8 frames, the character has moved (16,16) from the original position, and is therefore directly ontop of the square he was previously clinging on the side of. Is that okay? Is it 16x16 for one square? Or is it 8?

The tiles are 8x8.  That sounds good, but be forewarned:  As the engine comes together, things may change.  That looks good on paper, though.

I agree, player control should be one of the highest priorities in this game.

# The player can duck and crawl, and is a tile high while doing so. When pulling up from a ledge or coming up a ladder, he goes into crawl mode first, incase there's roof right above.
Noted!

Hold on, I could so easily just detect what's above the ladder...  So I'd say, with the climbing over the top of the ladder animation, make it go into a crouch (which would be like one frame away from standing most likely).  If there's something above, he'll stay crouched, otherwise he'll stand up.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »

My advice is that you have a pretty fast animation for ladder climbing - nothing more annoying than hitting a ladder and waiting for an excruciatingly slow animation - especially when you don't have much choice on a ladder. When this gets animated, I'd recommend Guy takes it about 4 rungs at a time Smiley. Keep him speedy.

Okay, I'm really rushing through responses now.  I've got to go!

But to that I'd say, yeah, I want to keep player control a focus.  But I like the idea of the character having a certain "weight" to his actions.

MORE ON THIS LATER

PEACE OUT  ::runs off::

Prospero
Level 0

Mostly Harmless

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »

Not sure what I can offer besides armchair support - you guys seems to have everything covered already! Amazing how this has taken off in apparently a handful of hours Grin Awesome!

Prospero - Mostly harmless dodgy geezer
Completed games: Poing! PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic