Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:42:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 1  (Read 179630 times)
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »

Alec: The music so far sounds so awesome. Could you be so kind in enlightening us how you made it (program you used, midi keyboard, etc.) I'd love to learn how to make those delicious electronic sounding beats. Kiss

This project looks excellent, gentlemen. I'll be following this thread with anticipation!

(By the way, Hello everyone, Pixfu members- I'm the same Ryan from the forums. Not the samehatsamehat Ryan. That is all, end transmission.)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »

I got dibs on the run cycle(If dibs are allowed). I'll try an' make one tonight.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »

I was going to add some ideas here but it seems like you're in the flow, so I might just hold off a while and keep thinking.  Just your energy and the energy of everybody else about this game makes it seem fun already!

** I don't even want to mention this but...***
It would be kind of nice to see a shockwave/flash version of the game too.  I think it would be a hit.

But that might be a little bit insane to think about right now (or maybe ever).  There might be a few issues (like frame rate).  But,  It would be interesting to see though. 
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »

@Inane:  Yeah, I dunno about this whole "dibs" thing, but go for it, man!  I needs me some runnin' animations.

@vitaminNewB:  Thanks.  Smiley

I don't even want to think about other versions 'til we have a fully playable game at least.  But keep ideas comin'.  If I'm coding, I don't really have much brainpower left for creative stuff.  I've been diggin' checking this thread every so often and finding fun new ideas.

No need to hold back!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:33:29 PM by BMcC » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 04:57:05 PM »

I got dibs on the run cycle(If dibs are allowed). I'll try an' make one tonight.
Try and get a bit of sway in him if it doesn't look daft :D. Make him wobble as he steps yay!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »

Shih Tzu suggested on the front page that we use Pxtone Collage for the music.  I think that's a wonderful idea!  (If we are in fact doing the full-on retro chiptune thing.)

DrPetter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »

I'd love to battle it out with Alec in the music/sfx department.

At the moment all my songs are in a proprietary format (which in effect means mp3/ogg) but I might be able to convert them into whatever format you end up using... or worst case I'd have to learn some wonky music editor, but it's all good.

Some random samples:

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/ninjamedeko.mp3
http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/ldmoon_long.mp3
http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/nsk4.mp3 (collab with my brother, for the record)
http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/elephant.ogg

That last one is the soundtrack from http://www.imitationpickles.org/elephant/index.html - a game y'all should be playing btw Wink

Here's hoping this project takes off properly.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »

Shih Tzu suggested on the front page that we use Pxtone Collage for the music.  I think that's a wonderful idea!  (If we are in fact doing the full-on retro chiptune thing.)

Isn't Alec doing fine with what he's got?

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 05:34:42 PM »

Isn't Alec doing fine with what he's got?

Erm... it depends, really.  We still have to decide on the direction of the audio design, but if we are doing the retro thing, I'd like to use small, consistent formats like modules or pxtone instead of mp3s for sure.  (Alec, are you down with that?)

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »

I've done MOD music before, and the way I'm writing this stuff is so its easy to port to something like that. I'm cool working with whatever format you guys decide on.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »

CZECH IT OUT

I think I can hit Milestone One by Monday.  That means our little dude could be running and jumping around with reckless abandon, and we could all move on to the fun stuff -- solidifying the core gameplay design.

But first, what I need most at this point are animations (this is where you guys come in).  Specifically...

• Standing
  • Walking
  • Jumping
  • Crouching
  • Crawling

These would cover the milestone requirements, but I'd really like to take it a step further for this build and include...

• Falling
  • Climbing (ledges)
  • Climbing (ladders)
  • Climbing (to the top of ladders, to crouching)
  • Pushing
  • Dying (from fall)

If you want to do animations, the sooner you get them to me the better!

I'd like to elaborate on the specifics of each animation and how they fit together, but I'm SO drowsy right now.   Gimme a bit to collect my thoughts, k?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:50:49 AM by Derek » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »

If no one else thinks they can do it on time, I'll do it.  Otherwise, call it! Wink
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »

I was planning on doing another tonight when I get off work. I'll just pick one that isn't done, I'm not particular.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 07:35:51 PM »

All great news BMcC!

With Jumping, I tried to get "landing" fame into the end of the animation. However, that could easily be a separate animation - very short little state to go through when hitting the ground... and not dying.

Anyone ever build a FSM diagram for these animation systems? I have! It is fun, and helps you figure out all the specific animations you need for states or state transitions.

Might get a diagram going tomorrow after the ledge animation.

You know what would be perfect for collaborating on this? A wiki! The forum's fine for a while, but it's going to get pretty hard to follow, soon.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »

No run animation from me, atleast tonight. I'm making something that has a deadline 4 hours, so no time.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »

UPDATE:  I'm too physically exhausted to do any more tonight.  I'm gonna go to bed now.  But I'll get right to it again tomorrow morning, no doubt.

@Bezzy:  Yeah, a diagram would work.  Fortunately there aren't too many states (at this point) to deal with.

Regarding wikis -- I'd like to keep all the discussion and live development in this thread, but a wiki could be a nice compliment if it held the major developments, final decisions, core info and resources, the most recent build, and all that.

Anyway, off to bed I go.  I can't wait to see what develops tonight and tomorrow!

EDIT:  I also wanted to point out (correct me if I'm wrong about this, Arne) that the original character doesn't seem to have any arms or legs.  Just floating hands and feet.  So... take that into account, animators!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:06:55 PM by BMcC » Logged

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 09:41:21 PM »

Just noticed this thread -- Go, go, go!

If I can be of any help... unfortunately I don't think I have any skills that would be a valuable contribution Sad

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »

*Pops up from the weasel hole*

'Ello, chaps. (And Inane [Beat ya to it!])

Don't hurt me if it sucks. The fault is in your beholdment, not the beheld.

*Crawls back into the mulberry bush*

*Returns for an edit*

I whipped up an idle.

*Returns to the depths from whence he came*

*One more edit*

Don't stop me now, I'm on a roll!

*Ok, goodnight!*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:38:07 PM by Xion » Logged

Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »

This looks very exciting! I'd like to chip in with an animation or two, although it's be a while since I last did any pixel art.

A question/thought regarding the character's jumping: as bald dude cannot jump ridiculously high like many platformers, is the jumping going to be 'fixed'? As in, once you jump, you cannot alter his movement? (sort of like... older castlevania/ghosts n' goblins/etc..).
This can get annoying or feel awkward, as you lose control of the character, but still throwing it out there.

Either way, I think a nice detail would be actually colliding into walls (and falling onto your ass?) if you jump straight into them, (ala flashback), but depending on the sort of 'feel' you want this could just be jarring... but still neat! Too many platformers have the player just suddenly stopping and falling when hitting walls, with no reaction in the character's animation.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 12:36:20 AM »

Well I've been beaten to the punch by a far superior animator, but I'll post anyway because it's fun!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic