Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:39:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 1  (Read 182575 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 12:58:01 AM »

Holy shit, nice, Xion!  Our dark angel...

I like yours, too, DMac!  Xion's is a little livelier, though. Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 01:13:30 AM »

Hey Xion! Nice to see you.
And thanks for ridding me of my social responsibilities.

Something seems off with the idle, though. Kinda like it's going 1-3-2-3 with the frame order.
Just something about the belly.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 02:41:55 AM »

So many replies, I turbo read.

Re Grip:
I was aware of the somewhat arbitrary analog threshold involved in gripping onto edges after a fall. I changed that paragraph a bunch of times.

If he falls of a ledge, his velocity would be lower than if he made a full jump then fell. Also, if he can make analog jumps, his fall velocity would be different aswell.

But I think stuff like this will have to be tuned by BMcC to see what is fun, flows and works, what I wrote is just rough guidelines for the scale I had in mind, I didn't want to be too specific in my little list there. I wanted him to be agile and fun to control, but still somewhat realistic in his movements (fall death etc).

Maybe the first map should be a diverse obstacle course, to nail down his movement and establish his limits?

Re Ladders:
Faster down than up?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 03:00:40 AM »

I picked a great time to have no internet at home Sad

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 03:13:42 AM »

Oy! I missed a whole page of replies.

Great animations! And music. I'm still going through all the stuff. I downloaded ModPlug yesterday myself, but I'm afraid I can't create anything coherrant.

[Re Mr. Balding]
Let me know if you have any ideas for detailing. The blaster master guy has a few pixels on his chest that serves as reference points for animation movement. I used a belt and a belt buckle, but I'm not sure if that could be optimized.

Attaching a model sheet. Is this how you imagined him?
(Ignore the black line art, sprite only has shadows)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:16:23 AM by Arne » Logged
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »

EDIT:  I also wanted to point out (correct me if I'm wrong about this, Arne) that the original character doesn't seem to have any arms or legs.  Just floating hands and feet.  So... take that into account, animators!

Ahhh, shite. I knew you probably wouldn't be able to use the jump for some reason or another, and that is the reason. He has arms and legs in mine (I tried to keep them as short as possible, though). Oh well.

[Edit] Unless arne's model picture is okay'd, in which case I don't have to worry so much. Yay!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 04:40:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure he's got arms and legs, even in the pixel version.  At no point is there a gap between the hands/feet and his body.  They're just short. Smiley
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »

A question/thought regarding the character's jumping: as bald dude cannot jump ridiculously high like many platformers, is the jumping going to be 'fixed'? As in, once you jump, you cannot alter his movement? (sort of like... older castlevania/ghosts n' goblins/etc..).
This can get annoying or feel awkward, as you lose control of the character, but still throwing it out there.
yeah, I'd prefer some air accel, personally. Keeps that feeling of being in control.

And also, the whole idea of some games where you can't control yourself while moving is a *little* bit whack in my estimation. I do (or did) parkour*, and the amount of sway your mid-flight body shape makes on where and how you land is more than noticeable. You're not a perfect, inarticulate, frictionless sphere when you jump in real life. Ofcourse, you also can't bend your velocity back in the direction you came either.

Bah, what's reality got to do with it, anyway? Smiley

Just waking up, then I'll get on to grip-to-stand, where he'll kind of kick off the wall twice, swinging his arse really high up (over his head practically), then he'll push off the ground, and bring his feet down to earth.

For the grip to crouch, that's more of a flurry of movement as he scrambles to crawl into the hole, kicking and scraping his feet on the wall as he tries to get in. But I dunno if I'll do that today.

*This is why I've been been selfishly dibbing some animations. I wanted to get across how it "feels" to do these moves.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:48:09 AM by Bezzy » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 04:51:14 AM »

Just waking up, then I'll get on to grip-to-stand, where he'll kind of kick off the wall twice, swinging his arse really high up (over his head practically), then he'll push off the ground, and bring his feet down to earth.

For the grip to crouch, that's more of a flurry of movement as he scrambles to crawl into the hole, kicking and scraping his feet on the wall as he tries to get in. But I dunno if I'll do that today.

Hell yeah!  BMcC told me he'd like to get the animations done the end of today (Friday), so that'd be great if you could do those.  I'll see if I can do pushing right now. Smiley
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2007, 04:56:13 AM »

Hell yeah!  BMcC told me he'd like to get the animations done the end of today (Friday), so that'd be great if you could do those.  I'll see if I can do pushing right now. Smiley
Oohh! I hope you do slidey feet for it... like he's pushing a block, but only just managing to shift it, so his feet are really scrambley.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2007, 05:47:19 AM »

Pushing a smiley:

Smiley

That was harder than I thought it would be and it still isn't perfect... good enough for now, though? Cry
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2007, 06:49:41 AM »

The sweat is right on!

(Almost done the Crouch-to-stand)

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

Is this game going to be freeware and for PC(Windows)Huh? Kiss
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2007, 07:53:39 AM »

Might need a little more work. Hopefully it's enough for placeholder.

My brother is visiting for the weekend with his wife and baby, and they use the room with the internet PC in, so I can't really do much more today. Sorry. Maybe I'll do the UML in the meantime, and try to put the reference poses in with them.

Please little baby, do not leak onto the internet PC >_<.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:55:56 AM by Bezzy » Logged

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2007, 07:58:26 AM »

Eh, In my excitement of my last post I forgot to offer a contribution. If BMcC is coding in C/++ and using cross platform libraries I can produce builds for the mac. (I know its probably too early to offer this, just keep it in mind when this awesome game is released. Mac users like to play games too! :D)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »

*Pops up from the weasel hole*

*Ok, goodnight!*

These are great!  The crawling animation is perfect.  Thanks for the contribution!

A question/thought regarding the character's jumping: as bald dude cannot jump ridiculously high like many platformers, is the jumping going to be 'fixed'? As in, once you jump, you cannot alter his movement?

Nah, I don't think so.  I (and more importantly, I gathered Arne) want more responsive control than that.

Either way, I think a nice detail would be actually colliding into walls (and falling onto your ass?)

We'd have to test things out and make a decision before doing something like that.  I think that could pretty seriously alter how the game feels and how levels get designed.  But it's something to consider!  Keep the ideas rollin'.

Well I've been beaten to the punch by a far superior animator, but I'll post anyway because it's fun!

Yeah, never give up, NEVER SURRENDER.  I still dig the animations you're posting.

But I think stuff like this will have to be tuned by BMcC to see what is fun, flows and works, what I wrote is just rough guidelines for the scale I had in mind, I didn't want to be too specific in my little list there. I wanted him to be agile and fun to control, but still somewhat realistic in his movements (fall death etc).

Alright, will do.  I think a lot of stuff will come together as you and the community play the builds, too.

Maybe the first map should be a diverse obstacle course, to nail down his movement and establish his limits?

The test stage I made (mainly for testing the map loading and getting the guy moving) has that stuff in mind.  I've got various jumps, climbing into a crawlspace, etc..  So hopefully we'll have any movement questions answered real soon.

A question for you, though -- Say you're standing next to a wall with a one tile high gap one tile up, like in the little movements mockup.  From the mockup, it looks like you can climb up through the gap, but I foresee a problem in that gripping onto ledges would be based around catching yourself after a jump and that ledge would be so low, you'd just land.  I mean, I could obviously still let you catch the ledge, but I feel like it might be awkward.  What do you think about pushing toward a one tile high barrier then up (the same button for climbing ladders) to climb up?

Re Ladders:
Faster down than up?

I was going to ask YOU that very same question yesterday, but it slipped my mind.  Yeah, I think it would be cool if he climbed up rung by run, but could slide down fast, Rainbow Six style.

Let me know if you have any ideas for detailing.

I like the character just fine, but if you're feeling inspired I imagine you'd come up with something great.  Smiley  (His face really does look just like that Little Britain guy, doesn't it!  But without the glasses.)

Attaching a model sheet. Is this how you imagined him?

I can't find the attachment!   Cry

I'm pretty sure he's got arms and legs, even in the pixel version.  At no point is there a gap between the hands/feet and his body.  They're just short. Smiley

Yeah, my bad!  I was mistaken.  (GET USED TO IT  Cool)

*This is why I've been been selfishly dibbing some animations. I wanted to get across how it "feels" to do these moves.

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to see.  I want the animations to lend to the character's sense of physicality, with a bit of personality dashed in for that down home, mom's cookin', old school taste.

That was harder than I thought it would be and it still isn't perfect... good enough for now, though? Cry

Definitely good enough!  Thanks.

Is this game going to be freeware and for PC(Windows)Huh? Kiss

Fo sho!

Might need a little more work. Hopefully it's enough for placeholder.

It is excellent, my friend!  I can't believe so many great animations got done just in the time it took me to sleep.

If BMcC is coding in C/++ and using cross platform libraries...

I am indeed!  It'll be cross platform no prob.

SO MUCH AWESOME, GUYS.  I'll try to kick some arse today.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:02:00 AM by BMcC » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »

ANIMATORS:  I need your animations on a sprite sheet with a Magic Pink background.  Each frame should be on a 16x16 square (tell me if that's a problem for anyone!) with his belt buckle as the reference point.

Also:  Make me a sandwich.  :D

EDIT:  Further clarification.  (Sorry!)

Magic Pink == 100% Red, 0% Green, 100% Blue.  It's that awful shade of pink/light purple in MSPaint, to the right of blue.

As for the format, I'd appreciate a high color windows bitmap file with the frames aligned in a horizontal row.  So the size of the bitmap should wind up being 16 times X number of frames by 16.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:17:03 AM by BMcC » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2007, 09:13:21 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with this terminology. This is the first pixel art stuff I've done, except for my avatar (which was more than 5 years ago). What exact color is magic pink, or is it just meant to be in particular indexed color slot?

How should I lay out the 16x16 tiles? Just in a line?

Also, I am not sure when I can get this done, but the PSDs for my stuff is here and here. Each frame is a layer

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2007, 09:14:27 AM »

I started doing some non character animations.  Starting with, what I'm calling, the claw gate.  Open and close animations.

I'll get you your magic magenta images shortly.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:57:27 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »

I started doing some non character animations.  Starting with, what I'm calling, the claw gate.  Open and close animations.

I'll get you your magic magenta images shortly.
That looks ace! I take it you need to jump into it then crouch, or slide into it then jump to get through? Tricky!

And if you do a magenta thing, I can copy it for reference, yaay!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic