Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:25:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHumqn Fishbowl
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Humqn Fishbowl  (Read 21835 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 05:49:11 AM »

This is a badass idea... Very creative way to get the user to come back for more.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 05:59:17 AM »

Thanks, think it'll help me present specific animation sequences that don't involve physical interaction. Want to keep this as open to players interpretations so trying to make sure that things that occur aren't just spelt out for the player.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 04:31:38 AM »

Last few weeks have been a bit crazy so I haven't been able to do much work on this.

Hoping to get back in the swing next weekend but till then I'm trying to steal a few minutes here and there to work on a new interaction addition to the failed juggling.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

Had some time this week to get back into this.

Been working on an interaction that will bring a different aspect to the game. I don't want the whole thing to be just unlocking animations so this is me moving further into what I'd planned from the start.

Not quite finished this one yet but this is a good preview into what I'm thinking.

BLINDED

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »

Working on a thing at the moment that will add some new elements that I still haven't got around to revealing. Starting to struggle with how much I should constantly show and how much I should hold back on. I don't want to come to the end and have everyone have already seen everything. Would like to have some surprises.

Might try and post more about my process and background that has helped me develop this the way I am.

Instead of showing some new animation I'm working on, I might just post an old project that I worked on that has inspired the new piece.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything in particular you want to see or know about.

EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:06 AM »

The thing I'm wondering about is what that little drop in the lower left corner is? Does it have a purpose?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:52 AM »

Is that real Braille?

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »

This is all very interesting. I love the rotoscoped animation, it looks really special. Is this going to be like (obviously not very similar, but a little bit like) an adventure game where certain gestures reveal those secrets, like revealing a time to come back at? I'm imagining a chain of events and secrets which lead to a final 'end state'? Or is it purely an experimental thing, a 'toy' if you like?

dlarocque91
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:12 AM »

It will be really interesting to see the final game when its put together. Also, humqn sounds like humequeen to me. Careful not to make him perform any overly feminine gesture or he'll forever be a known as humequeen to me
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »

I loved rotoscoping the second I saw it in flashback. Now I love it even more.
The process is a bit tedious, though. Kudos for finding your very own process.

Glad you decided to make a writeup on it.

Yeah.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »

The thing I'm wondering about is what that little drop in the lower left corner is? Does it have a purpose?
It's actually a raindrop and I forgot that I hadn't done a post about it yet here, must have been on twitter. I'll post later explaining what it means and how it'll work.

Is that real Braille?
Yeah it is braille. Got interested in it a couple of years ago and been fascinated with it ever since. Love the idea of different forms of communication so something I want to play with. This one was just a test and won't actually be in the final piece.

This is all very interesting. I love the rotoscoped animation, it looks really special. Is this going to be like (obviously not very similar, but a little bit like) an adventure game where certain gestures reveal those secrets, like revealing a time to come back at? I'm imagining a chain of events and secrets which lead to a final 'end state'? Or is it purely an experimental thing, a 'toy' if you like?
Thanks so much and yeah my plan is to definitely make this in spirit an adventure game. I grew up playing adventure games and have always been heavily influenced by them in my own way so I know it does affect my work. I do want the player to interpret how things should play out and to learn more as things go on. Different gestures will reveal different things and will open up more scenes. In the end my plan is to make this pretty experimental also so I don't think it will appeal to everyone but hopefully some people will enjoy it.

It will be really interesting to see the final game when its put together. Also, humqn sounds like humequeen to me. Careful not to make him perform any overly feminine gesture or he'll forever be a known as humequeen to me
Thanks for the interest and hadn't considered that with the title. Luckily I do want this to be very open to players own interpretation of events so I guess the title is just another one of those things that is open to the player.

I loved rotoscoping the second I saw it in flashback. Now I love it even more.
The process is a bit tedious, though. Kudos for finding your very own process.

Glad you decided to make a writeup on it.
Absolutely loved flashback back in the day and still one of my favourite games of all time so that's a great compliment, thanks. Do plan on one day making a flashback type game with this style so nice to know other people enjoy this. The process is definitely very tedious and I know I could easily simplify it and shorten it by cutting out some more things but I really want to go all out with this project and for now I'm really happy with the results. Next project using this style I'm sure I'll cut back on though.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:38:34 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 04:42:36 AM »

Thought I'd show what the raindrop in the bottom corner is for. Once it's clicked you can draw a line across the screen and the rain will fall in that section. If you click it again it will turn it off.

I have some plans for what I want to do with this feature and am excited to test them out.

THE RAINS ARE COMING

nightvisioncarpetbomb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 05:16:21 AM »

You said you want to go all out so I imagined that you rotoscoped actual rain!
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:56 AM »

Awesome. You could do lots of other cool things with similar features.

Just want to chime in on the whole "showing too much" on this devlog thing. I know for me, I'm gonna support the game when its out regardless if I've seen every bit of content there is because I think this is awesome. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm pretty sure this is the only rotoscoping devlog (at least that's active) so it's very interesting and unique to see what you've been up to.

Pix n chips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »

!Wow! The animations are super ultra smooth. Love the concept.
Kinda reminds me the type of games where there's a guy a and a text box, and depending on what you write in the text box is how the guy will react/behave but with actions, which I think its more intuitive way to make it.

Anywa, keep working, the idea is great.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »

You said you want to go all out so I imagined that you rotoscoped actual rain!
Have to admit I did think about it, but biggest issue I have is that I just use my mobile to film so the quality isn't the greatest which would make it quite difficult.

Awesome. You could do lots of other cool things with similar features.

Just want to chime in on the whole "showing too much" on this devlog thing. I know for me, I'm gonna support the game when its out regardless if I've seen every bit of content there is because I think this is awesome. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm pretty sure this is the only rotoscoping devlog (at least that's active) so it's very interesting and unique to see what you've been up to.
As always thanks so much for the support, it's great to hear that and does ease my mind with what I'm doing. I think I'm much like you were with Masochisia, in that I know this isn't for everyone in the end so I don't really expect wide appeal. If I can find a small audience that can enjoy what I'm doing then I'll be happy.

!Wow! The animations are super ultra smooth. Love the concept.
Kinda reminds me the type of games where there's a guy a and a text box, and depending on what you write in the text box is how the guy will react/behave but with actions, which I think its more intuitive way to make it.

Anywa, keep working, the idea is great.

Cheers, always nice to see someone else enjoying what I'm doing. Those type of games are definitely an inspiration for this. I've always been intrigued by the idea of possibilities and the choices we as players are given. This is just my interpretation on that theme I guess.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 04:08:32 AM »

Ran into an issue that has wasted quite a lot of time. I moved places a few months ago and every scene that I had filmed up to this point had been done in the same spot at my old place. Every time I now film in the new place, the framing of the figure is all off with the proportions of the body being uneven. I've wasted so many hours trying to line up the shot from different heights.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 06:24:24 AM »

Think I have the filming almost sorted. I'm just going to try and build my own little quick video app that will work the way I need it to (hopefully).

In the meantime, while I've been thinking about this problem I've also been working on a new animation. So far I have the head section done with about 180 frames. Going to be a little longer then usual animation, although I did finish another one the other day that was over 300 frames.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 03:04:50 AM »

Want to show the progress of an action and how each segment is built upon.

Might try and post every couple of days to show this but for now I've added the shoulders to the previous animation.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:36 AM »

Arms are now done.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic