Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:22:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAd-based-online or pay-to-download?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ad-based-online or pay-to-download?  (Read 2564 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »

I'm having a bit of a dilemma here. My plan for a number of months has been to make Telepath RPG Chapter 3 a browser-based game that makes money through ads. However, ad revenues seem to be on the decline (see e.g.), which is making me question the wisdom of this approach. On the other hand, prices for downloadable indie games seem to be dropping as well, and I don't know how my community will react if I change the game from being free and online to requiring them to pay money for it as a standalone product.

Do any of you have experience with downloadable content vs. browser-based? Any opinions on which is the better route?

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »

If you really want money of it you probably should pay to download. The revenue you get from ad-based game is always pretty hard to predic and can come out with less than expected.

One thing I personally (from a consumer standpoind) think is important though:
When going with ad-based, TELL people it's going to have ads. When downloading apps for the iPhone there is nothing more annoying than getting an app that claims to be completely free, but then has AdSense plastered all over it. I mean, yes, it is free, but they should at least mention it is ad supported.

And for downloadable games maybe provide a (ad-supported? Well, hello there!) demo, so people know what they're getting into when buying the actual game. I'm usually less willing to buy a game when I wasn't able to try it out first.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:36 AM »

You can combine the two: ad based browser version, downloadable version with no ads and extra content. Flash does let you make downloadable versions I believe (N and Dofus do it).

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »

Definitely true. I just wonder how much extra stuff there would have to be to convince people to spring for the downloadable version, though, rather than playing for free online...

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »

Ask them, or experiment.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic