Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:20:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Work pipeline
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Work pipeline  (Read 1259 times)
minasss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »

After a little experimentation with action script 3.0 and self done gfx and sfx I'm starting a new project with a friend of mine who will help in the artistic side; now I feel the need to setup a work pipe line that can help my "not so skilled friend" to go from the paper to the sprite, help to not lose data (ok I'll use SCM for that), have deployment facilities like the ability to rebuild a specific version of the game and....and what I should need?

what is your actual work pipe-line? is that organized or you add little new pieces to your project randomly?
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »

I find for small teams that data organisation and namespacing is much more important than an actual work pipeline.

So when your collaborator draws something there needs to be:

1) A policy for what digital format(s) he needs to get it into, at what size, and so on.

2) Somewhere that he can check it in where it will be safe and won't get deleted or lost.

3) A clear policy for what name he should check it in under and in which other places he needs to register its existence.

This also cuts down on emails/IMs. Instead of asking him "Have you done the jump animation for the green troll on level 4 yet?" you can just go and look for the relevant file in the appropriate place.

minasss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:19 AM »

thank bateleur,

this is a good advice

I think I will go with a directory structure like this

- gfx
  - player
    - run
    - jump
    - etc
  - enemy
    - die
    - attack

I have never thought about namespace organization outside the source code Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic