Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:14:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsLove-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Love-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day  (Read 95431 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »

Pishtaco, good things you raise. 

It has already started I guess (I'll only be working on it that weekend, though).  It's informal (and unofficial), so I guess you can post about progress on this thread or on the art/design/feedback thread rather than on the compos board.  I guess there'll be a poll tossed somewhere after the due date.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »

Too bad it's unofficial Sad. It's a great compo idea (I'm thinking about taking a part in fact), it forces you to think of games in new ways. And it's not like there's some other super awesome competition idea, that couldn't be moved to after the Valentine's day.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »

This was one of the ideas I really liked from the ideas thread - as an official compo I think it would have produced a lot of original games, seeing that it's such a rarely explored concept.

If inspiration (or any idea, even...) strikes, I'll see about hacking something together.

(It amuses me though, that it basically means spending Valentine's Day desperately coding to get the game in on time :p )

acidBatterie
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

i'm in  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

who else?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »

Looks like the TIGsource compos are going the way of the roman empire aren't they?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »

Barbarians at the gates?

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 01:23:09 AM »

Thernz made a neat love letter type game once  Grin I think you went and got a bunch of different items like chocolates and flowers and gave them to a girl who rejected everything, then IIRC you punch her or something then on the next screen there's some weird boss fight or something  Shrug

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »

AT this point I don't care what is chosen for the compo, I just want to see one started.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

I'll make a mario clone.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
acidBatterie
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »

AT this point I don't care what is chosen for the compo, I just want to see one started.

http://connoracidkimbro.blogspot.com/
increpare
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »

good to see someone's started already Smiley
acidBatterie
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 03:55:22 PM »

finished now. it's posted on the super-secret blog.
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 04:23:28 AM »

Nothing says love like a generic platformer!

I forgot that I've never made a platformer before, so my "quickly knocking up an engine" took a little longer than I expected.

Still need to add:
A cat
A gimmick
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »

It says love to me because I fucking love platformers.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »

EDIT: See below.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:01:23 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »

Note: my site has been slow lately (stupid host!) so if it doesn't load try again later.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

Alternative host:

http://studioeres.nfshost.com/Valentine.html

the idea is that there are two clumps/clouds (not always 2, it varies, but usually 2) and they wander around and sometimes they meet. they don't always meet, sometimes they just wander around not meeting for what seems like forever. sometimes they meet quickly. reload to see alternative destinies.

increpare
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »

Paul, there's a really nice aesthetic there.  They look really like cotton-ball imitation clouds to me.  Will be interesting to see where you take it Smiley
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »

@ Paul
Nice App, but there seems to be something wrong with your bounce function. Like the X and Y variables are getting swapped as opposed to multiplied by -1. If you want to make this interactive perhaps you could have the puff balls move away from the mouse, thus allowing you to cut up big clumps and watch them recombine.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

I think the way the bounce works is normal, it's just a consequence of particles bouncing which also have individual momentum, so it seems as if the clusters wander around the sides of the screen clockwise or counterclockwise. If you look at individual particles you'll see that they do bounce normally individually, it's just that collectively it works differently due to how they stick to each other. Also, if it did not have that behavior, it wouldn't be very thematic, since it'd be much easier for all the particles to join together if they couldn't chase each other around clockwise or counterclockwise like that. But good idea on the mouse interaction, I'll try out a few things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic