Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:39:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsLove-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Love-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day  (Read 95516 times)
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:10 AM »

Finished.

This was a very interesting experience.  It's really not the type of game I like to make - it's entirely linear with shallow gameplay, and very short.  Also my first finished thing in Flash.  I have learnt a whole lot from it though, which is always good.

It also feels odd showing it to the world in general.  I made it entirely for one person, who I'm pretty sure will like it.  There's a lot of meaning and references in the game, which no one else will appreciate.  So that's the deep games-as-art meaning of my love-letter:
You wouldn't understand, but maybe she will.

Enough of my pretentiousness!  It's in flash, a very simple platformer with a silly ending, and you'll finish it in a minute.

I need to call this "finished" for now, or I'll not get anything else done this week.  Stuff I'm not happy with:
Sound.
No mute button.
Shouldn't have used antialiasing on the help text.
The cat treats are too dull looking, and too pointless.
increpare
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:28 AM »

Why is the *player* picking up the cat treats and not the cat?  Huh?

This is, indeed, very mysterious.

Good work...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »

Updated, the mouse now tears the clumps apart:

http://studioeres.nfshost.com/Valentine.html

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »

weird. i thought the magical catflap was cool.
Fuzz
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »

http://studioeres.nfshost.com/Valentine.html

I liked it more without the interaction. It seemed more atmospheric.
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 02:00:02 AM »

I like it!  I had a strange heart-sinking feeling when the clouds faded away after I'd been playing with them for a while.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

Yes, love is fleeting.

I also liked it without interaction too. So what I'll do is create several 'modes' of play and a title screen, and let the player choose the mode they prefer.

Now I just need to figure out how to code a title screen in Flash...

BTW, Salt, how do you put games on kongregate? Do you need their permission or is it like YouTube where you can upload anything?

increpare
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »

you can pretty much put up anything, though i think they might take it down later if it's nasty

(newgrounds has an approval procedure, but it took me a couple of hours to get a game approved, so not a big deal)
mirosurabu
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »

I decided I'm going to throw in something short and quick. I got that very weird idea and decided that I should implement it.

It's gonna be short three-stage game.
mirosurabu
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

Finished.

This was a very interesting experience.  It's really not the type of game I like to make - it's entirely linear with shallow gameplay, and very short.  Also my first finished thing in Flash.  I have learnt a whole lot from it though, which is always good.

It also feels odd showing it to the world in general.  I made it entirely for one person, who I'm pretty sure will like it.  There's a lot of meaning and references in the game, which no one else will appreciate.  So that's the deep games-as-art meaning of my love-letter:
You wouldn't understand, but maybe she will.

Enough of my pretentiousness!  It's in flash, a very simple platformer with a silly ending, and you'll finish it in a minute.

I need to call this "finished" for now, or I'll not get anything else done this week.  Stuff I'm not happy with:
Sound.
No mute button.
Shouldn't have used antialiasing on the help text.
The cat treats are too dull looking, and too pointless.

The music makes good deal of goodness of this game. There's something nice about it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:14:18 PM by Miroslav Malešević » Logged
Biggerfish
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 04:37:04 AM »

I made a digital, non-interactive love letter. I know it is for someone but I don't know exactly who. Everything is included in the download.

Please Enjoy;

Download (4.8mb)
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

hey, it's valentine's day  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »

Yes but the deadline is the 15th so I have one more day to finish a title screen etc. Is it at the end of the 15th or the beginning?

increpare
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »

Yes but the deadline is the 15th so I have one more day to finish a title screen etc. Is it at the end of the 15th or the beginning?
any time on the 15th you like, any place.

I'm still trying to think of something I like enough to do at the moment :/
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »

Thernz made a neat love letter type game once  Grin I think you went and got a bunch of different items like chocolates and flowers and gave them to a girl who rejected everything, then IIRC you punch her or something then on the next screen there's some weird boss fight or something  Shrug
I like how my first game was misogynist.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
increpare
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

I made a digital, non-interactive love letter. I know it is for someone but I don't know exactly who. Everything is included in the download.
A salutary effort, MS.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »

I  made a small game for my girlfriend.  The enemies appear to the tune of Tuxedo Hat by The Octopus Project, which is one of our favorite songs.

I didn't have enough time to make flash preload the song, so my web version sucks.  There is a downloadable version as well.  This is pretty much my first time ever making anything in flash, so it was a learning experience.

The goal is to run into as many enemies as possible.  Arrow keys move you, thats it.  I would've liked to spend more time on it, but I'm late to Valentine's dinner as it it  Grin
Fuzz
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »

I  made a small game for my girlfriend.  The enemies appear to the tune of Tuxedo Hat by The Octopus Project, which is one of our favorite songs.

I didn't have enough time to make flash preload the song, so my web version sucks.  There is a downloadable version as well.  This is pretty much my first time ever making anything in flash, so it was a learning experience.

The goal is to run into as many enemies as possible.  Arrow keys move you, thats it.  I would've liked to spend more time on it, but I'm late to Valentine's dinner as it it  Grin
Space seems to make the number on the left go up. Does this affect anything? It looks like the enemies increase when I press space, but I'm not sure.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »

Oops, forgot to remove the spacebar thing, lol.  That's just the step number of the game...came in handy for timing purposes.  I should take that out and reupload.
mirosurabu
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 02:03:06 PM »

I just sat down to finish my entry only to discover new Construct bug. Lips Sealed I'm kinda frustrated. And when I feel frustrated it's hard to do anything.

Not sure if I'll make this before the midnight. I hope you don't mind if I'm late.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic