Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:31:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZig. It's a game where you shoot stuff. [Linux/Mac/Windows]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Zig. It's a game where you shoot stuff. [Linux/Mac/Windows]  (Read 3554 times)
EyeballKid
Level 0

Recovering games programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:34:51 AM »

Give it a couple of years, you'll be able to compile to bytecode-WASM and ditch a ton of dependencies because the browser environment is guaranteed to have APIs that support multimedia aspects Wink

Ha! I did do an emscripten build a while back and was blown away how well it ran (about 50% of native speed, which I think is damn good).
But my luddite tendencies cringe to think how many wasted cycles are spent in web browsers these days...

Anyway. I downloaded the H-Immersion demo today - all 64KB of it - and just sat there thinking: "Wow. My game is so big and bloated..." :-)

Play Zig. It's a game where you shoot stuff. Devlog.

After the Light. It's also a game where you shoot stuff.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »

Keep in mind that:

- demos rely on OpenGL or Direct3D and other graphics APIs, essentially externalizing the costs of writing that logic
- demos use a ton of limited, repeated shapes and geometry. It doesn't have the arbitrary freedom of rasterized textures. (having said that, all your graphics could be procedurally generated)
- demos don't have to worry about input, output, etc. Which makes a huge difference (yes, I know about .krieger)

I mean, sure, Wirth's Law is a thing, but so is opportunity cost. Is saving more bytes worth the investment compared to what it delivers?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic