Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:53:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSuper Metroid controls
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Super Metroid controls  (Read 16384 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »

What? Combat in Dark Souls is even more methodical and slow paced for the most part.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »

Combat is extremely punishing in Dark Souls.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:15 AM »

demons souls had the more atmospheric and more interesting (from a story/lore) perspective boss fights than dark souls, but they were also mostly worse mechanically.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:17 AM »

What do you think about Dark Souls. Does combat disturb the sense of exploration and atmosphere?

No, because it's sluggish and unwieldy. Dark souls has terrible controls for an action game, but works perfectly for a tense, slow paced exploration game. This is because the controls are intended to convey a sense of weight and danger. Remove or change them and how they interact with the game world, and dark souls would be worse off.

Gotta tailor controls to the expectation of atmosphere.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

You see, combat is basically the only thing people talk about in Dark Souls. It's clearly the central focus of the game, so it would be silly to weigh the other stuff as more than it is.

Which is the same thing people have been saying about Super Metroid. The atmosphere is the most important aspect of that game.
Had it paid more attention to combat, it might have just deterred from what it was actually trying to focus on.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »

What do you think about Dark Souls. Does combat disturb the sense of exploration and atmosphere?

No, because it's sluggish and unwieldy. Dark souls has terrible controls for an action game, but works perfectly for a tense, slow paced exploration game. This is because the controls are intended to convey a sense of weight and danger. Remove or change them and how they interact with the game world, and dark souls would be worse off.

Gotta tailor controls to the expectation of atmosphere.

i actually prefer combat in dark souls over action games with supposedly "tight" controls. its less twitchy and more puzzle/strategy-esque and thats hella cool. there are already 5 million devil may cry type games i have close to 0 interest in, but there is no game with combat mechanics like d* souls except maybe monster hunter (sort of)

sorry for off topic go back to talking about muper setroid or watever
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »

Combat in Dark Souls CREATES 75% of the game's atmosphere.

1. It reminds you that you are paper-thin, and one critical mistake (or careless detail) away from being FINISHED.

2. It *IS* slow-paced and methodical, and full of intricate detail - the kind of detail that factors into your actual execution of the fight, and mechanics that rival actual fighting games.

3. The stamina system gives you a sense of limitation. You can't just mash buttons and win. You can't just run away for forever (although in a sense, you *CAN* - just not when you don't know where you're going and what kind of switches you'll need to look out for to progress).

4. The enemies are detailed and CREEPY - far creepier than the backdrop textures - and their presence demands the player's attention. Anytime they aren't being creepy, they're being fucking qwesome - like Daddy Mushroom punches, or Mimics actually using flying kung-fu kicks at you. I mean, who does THAT?!

Remove the enemies/combat from the game, and all of the tension and creepiness subsides instantly. The combat system *IS* the atmosphere.

I think that cohesiveness is why I personally rank Dark Souls as "one of the less than a dozen games better than Super Metroid." But where Super Metroid excels is where a split-second action/decision can totally throw your game in a completely different direction; and that while it focuses less on combat, it focuses more on - GET THIS - THAT ANNOYING MOMENTUM AND PHYSICS SYSTEM!! Shocked
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:22:59 PM by baconman » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2015, 12:29:53 PM »

ya thats also true. to me d* souls is one of the few action rpgs that is actually an rpg. they managed to take most of the elements u would associate with crpgs (exploration, lore, permanent choices, "roleplaying") and packed them into a game that is almost all combat. <3

ok ok i promise ill stop fanboying out itt now because i dont have a lot to say on the actual topic
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »

i actually prefer combat in dark souls over action games with supposedly "tight" controls. its less twitchy and more puzzle/strategy-esque and thats hella cool.
That's exactly the principle I am going for. Do you see a problem adding a puzzle/strategy-esque combat to Metroid, instead of a sword you use your tech-toys?

btw. I have little to no interest in hack and slash games like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:07:12 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »

1. dark souls is no devil may cry

2. devil may cry have puzzle strategy in high ranking combo system, it also does in basic combao but hey

3. apple to orange

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »

Combat in Dark Souls CREATES 75% of the game's atmosphere.
Why don't you think Metroid could benefit from it aswell? Adding explorative nature to combat itself, where you are not rewarded by just straight forward shooting your things out of the way.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:45 AM »

shooty combat doesn't lend itself to "explorative" strategy without gimmicks or first person mode, though. it'll just make things worse for whatever you tie it to, is my feeling, like how zelda orcarina's mediocre dungeon bosses drag down an already poor game

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2015, 05:20:05 AM »

shooty combat doesn't lend itself to "explorative" strategy without gimmicks or first person mode, though. it'll just make things worse for whatever you tie it to, is my feeling, like how zelda orcarina's mediocre dungeon bosses drag down an already poor game

u take that back
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:18 AM »

just for the record nobody posting in this thread is making any sense at all

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »

I always play mage at super metroid.

JutsBeaumont
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »

Dark Souls' verbs are almost exclusively related to combat, even if that combat is meant as an extension of world design and as a source of atmosphere; Super Metroid's verbs are predominately related to exploration, traversal and navigation, not combat. The two structures aren't as easily comparable as you'd like to think. Super Metroid with no enemies can work easily; Dark Souls with no enemies cannot.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »

If you are not a speedrunner and I would ask you the following: Would you rather replay Super Metroid or Dark Souls. What would you choose and why.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »

I would choose pikachu because it's cute

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

u take that back

not in a billion years

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »

2 billions years have just past, we are exactly 13.89 billion years in!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic