Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:10:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNYKRA
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: NYKRA  (Read 151757 times)
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but are you basically implementing fixed point arithmetic using floating point numbers? (due to the environment only supporting the latter, I suppose)

That's kinda it. All this does is allow the object to maintain its decimal coordinates. Because normally you round everything to make sure that when you collide, everything is pixel perfect. In GM you use a built-in variable called bbox_bottom (there's also top and L R), this is used to accurately find the bottom of the object and to nicely collide with things:

if collision_line(bbox_left,bbox_bottom+1,bbox_right,bbox_bottom+1,parSolid,1,0) {
// stop moving etc.
};

What my code does is that it preserves the decimal position of an object. So you can add to it's X or Y coordinates 0.0~1.0 (like, my acceleration speed is like 0.13, which isn't a whole number), and normally you can have these decimals, but after they're applied you HAVE to round it's position so the collision can work properly.
Or in some cases, like @ZackBellGames, you keep the decimal speed and only apply the whole integers. You keep the extra bit, and put that on later to the next step.
So, mine preserves the decimals in the velocity AND X/Y coordinates. To collide with things you have to create a special kind of "round" that allows you to add a number like 0.25 to it until it hits the apex. You can't just round it because then you collide to early. You have to add a half, then round to the nearest half, then add 0.25 for it's collide distance, then see if it collides. Easy.

So to recap, my process ONLY allows the object to have decimal collision. That's it. If you have a sprite at a decimal POSITION, the game can compensate and draws it normally. If the game is upscaled like mine (6x), then it uses the displays pixels to draw the 'decimal' pixels. If that makes sense.

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »

I curious about the limited color palette.  Do you have code to ensure that those colors are used in the game's drawing method or are you just carefully eye-dropping the image of the palette itself when making the art for the game?

When I'm drawing everything I just eyedrop the colours. So I guess it's up to me, but yes I try to make sure EVERY colour I use is only on the palette.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »

You might want to check out Bresenham's line algorithm

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bresenham's_line_algorithm

(this is actually a terrible explanation of the algorithm)

Ignore the parts about the actual line drawing; the real gem in the algorithm is the accumulator/divisor trick to represent fractions as two whole numbers.

This one is a bit better:

http://www.hugi.scene.org/online/coding/hugi%2025%20-%20coding%20corner%20graphics%20tad%20fractions,%20division%20and%20bresenham%20lines.htm
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »

O R I G I N

This is Origin, the supposed beginning of man on planet Maldis.
I thought I'd share the process; basically I scribble up some odd shapes, and create a symmetric pattern from it. I then do other details, clean it up, and fix up any odd 3D anomalies.

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »

PROGRESS!

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »

I'm really loving this.  The artwork is beautiful.  Keeping an eye on it.

benjkers
Level 0

digging for precious games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »

Nice subtle perspective shift there. Palette is poppin' - worth the effort you put into revising.

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2016, 12:07:38 AM »

I'm really loving this.  The artwork is beautiful.  Keeping an eye on it.

Thanks so much!  Coffee

Nice subtle perspective shift there. Palette is poppin' - worth the effort you put into revising.

Yeah, it's definitely worth it! Thanks a bunch!

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »

"NIKRA" is no more.

This is due to the amount of people exclaiming that the name "NIKRA" sounded too similar to a particular 'n'-word when pronounced wrong.
Annoyingly, I knew that explaining it's pronounced "NIGH-krah" (like night), rather than a weird "NEE-krah" (like Nickel or nill). Changing the 'I' to a 'Y' makes the pronunciation a lot easier. Think of "my", "by".

I know this is a big thing, and I hope everyone can support me along the way.
Thank you everyone <3
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:25:00 PM by ENDESGA » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »

I like the new name, it's more distinct.

What does the symbol mean? If the logo should look like it's written on a wall with a large brush, you should actually paint it on paper with a brush and scan it. And use only one brush size. The symbol could be written with multiple strokes.
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2016, 02:31:09 AM »

I like the new name, it's more distinct.

What does the symbol mean? If the logo should look like it's written on a wall with a large brush, you should actually paint it on paper with a brush and scan it. And use only one brush size. The symbol could be written with multiple strokes.

Well, the logo is just a symbol of the gods. It's nothing too crazy. and they're not the same thickness because I wanted the name to fit in the screen as well Smiley But I get what you mean

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2016, 03:56:58 AM »

never made a link between nikra and the n word.
But with the new G logo, even if you changed nikra to nykra. I can't dissociate and read Nygra instead .
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »

never made a link between nikra and the n word.
But with the new G logo, even if you changed nikra to nykra. I can't dissociate and read Nygra instead .

Haha it's not a G :O It's just a symbol. And some people complained, which caused most of the fuss - and it just escalated.

PixHammer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »

Eeh, I liked Nikra better, that 'i' was full of flavour. People will always pronounce things weirdly, I actually thought it was 'nee-krah' for  long while. If they make the jump it to a racial slur it's on their head, not yours.

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »

I like the concept for the new logo. Less traditionally 'spacey' and more evocative of an old or forgotten runic power- without explicitly being that either. Really nice

Just my 2 cents/pence/currency of choice

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »

I like the concept for the new logo. Less traditionally 'spacey' and more evocative of an old or forgotten runic power- without explicitly being that either. Really nice

Just my 2 cents/pence/currency of choice

Thank you so much! Just like the outline situation, I know a lot of people were going to dislike this. But thanks Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2016, 09:57:39 PM »

Will take some getting used to (although the new name is perfectly fine). The reasoning behind the name change makes sense to me, so it's probably for the best.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »

This game looks beautiful, and I like the name! Wouldn't get too hung up on an I or Y difference really, not going to make or break the game Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »

Hey guys, quick message, I'm now going to be spending my time working on IRKALLA with Skydsgaard.

Check out the post here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35320.msg1238383#msg1238383
OMG, Irkalla isn't dead! Fantastic news and great to see TIGSource devs helping each other out

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »

A new page number, and a new mind.

Let's get in to some NYKRA!
Here is a quick pic of the new designs that will be implemented:

Basically, the palette will be slightly adjusted and expanded upon. I have decided to not be lazy, and to spend a lot of time on the art style - making it look good rather than make it the easiest for me. And because of this, I knew it was time to redesign the most important part of the game, the Boldémo cube!
This cube is used to travel across the first galaxy known as Nykra, they were made at the galaxy's birth, and are completely indestructible. The player can use them whenever they please, but they have to understand that though they are useful, they can be very dangerous...  Hand PencilWink

The Boldémo

This cube is made of element 207 - Gn: Gnarcier [nar-see-ah].
Gnarcier is the 7th and final stable element in the Heptaverse, the first being 201 - Nm: Nenmiar [nen-mee-ah]
These 7 elements are stable due to the critical hold of gluon fields, where the mass of the protons and neutrons becomes so large, that instead of becoming unstable it creates a permanent field of infinite gluon neutrinos - essentially holding the object together indefinitely. This means the object is impervious, invulnerable, and invincible. The atoms are not affected by time itself, though they are still moved by normal forces.

THIS MATERIAL IS THE ONLY MATERIAL THAT CAN BE USED TO CONTAIN BLACK-HOLES.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:36:13 AM by ENDESGA » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic