Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:30:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNYKRA
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Print
Author Topic: NYKRA  (Read 151680 times)
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »

I was scared for a bit there, but I'm so happy it made it!

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

Wow, that was the most amazing way to end that kickstarter. You sure know how to keep things exciting  Cheesy
Anyway, congrats, I'll be following this beauty of a game very closely <3

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2016, 07:30:51 AM »

i've been browsing the first pages of this thread, I don't understand why everyone wanted you to go back on the outlined version of the graphics. I LOVE your art style because it's simple but perfectly accurate. Good job on being kickstarted!

Cyrii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

Super Stoked!!!!!!!!!! YES!!! NYKRA is SUPER AWESOME!!! Can't wait to play it    Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee
Cyrii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »

Thank you for the awesome game Coffee

Without the outlines the game looks more professional.
Outlines are a cop-out for readability.

For NYKRA you got it so right!!! Smiley
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: December 07, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

Congrats, super happy for you! Gentleman

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: December 07, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »

I've said this on Twitter, but allow me to reiterate: congratulations on being funded!

I hope that development goes well. ^_^

alxm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »

Backed your project a week ago, and I've got to say it really looked like it wasn't gonna happen. Congratulations on turning it around! I look forward to playing Nykra next year, the art style and premise are great Gentleman

Getting back to making games! www.alxm.org
sennin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

Wow, nearly half the goal in the last few days, must have been stressful! Glad you got funded, looks gorgeous.

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2016, 01:25:26 PM »

THANKS EVERYONE!!

It was a CRAZY last couple of days. The campaign went a bit viral on Twitter, and when a project is almost funded heaps of people look!
So yeah, in the end we raised 104% of the goal!

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »

That was tense, great that it happened  Coffee

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »

You're not going to make the Kickstarter goal.

And I hope you think about what you post before you post it. Because we have enough people that post these sort of comments on the internet Smiley cheers man Hand Thumbs Up Left

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

And I hope you think about what you post before you post it. Because we have enough people that post these sort of comments on the internet Smiley cheers man Hand Thumbs Up Left
Unless I'm messing up my math, it looks like one backer donated almost fifteen thousand New Zealand dollars to your campaign, like two days before it ended. Is that correct? Do you know who it was? Quite a miraculous turn of events your campaign had at the end, there!

Anyway, congratulations. I was surprised the campaign wasn't better funded throughout. Glad things turned out okay in the end. =)

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »

We had quite a few VERY generous backers, who believed in the project. Along with a couple people wanting to invest to get the game nearer to its goal!
It was all up less than 15K, for sure. But yes, things turned out for the better!

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »

So... NYKRA.
This massive game that has been stuck in my head for too many years. From a sandbox rpg, to a complete story game.

I feel like I should explain where everything is, and where it will go.

Where do I start explaining...

THE ISSUES
At the moment, NYKRA's story has been planned out. It has been for a long time now. But one major thing has been bugging me: the game engine.
More specifically, I'm having a conflict between what I want to see, and what I can do. And these days I'm only just realising that my knowledge is actually more limited than I thought. Having to source out to people to help with Shaders, or some complex collision system because I don't know how to do it properly...
It's an interesting episode going through my mind - because right at this moment, I haven't touched the NYKRA project for a week.
Yup.
I'm not giving up, no. I just hate trying to fix the things that should have worked years ago.
Who knew making a simple collision system was so complex... hahaha... haha. ha.

But hey, I'm going to be working on it some more - it's just that I'm running out of motivation to make the collision system work. I don't want pixel-perfect collisions, because I'm wanting the player to move around smoothly... It's just more difficult than I thought.
Using the with() function seemed to work, but it ended up being more inefficient than I thought. So I went to arrays, but they don't cater to objects. Then I hacked together a hybrid between the two! That's not working either.
Like c'mon! There MUST be a super reliable collision system similar to my theories! I've spent months and months researching about SAT Collisions, axis alignment, and all the tips and tricks. It just doesn't want to work.

I'M WORKING ON IT THOUGH.

Someone asked me "Tell your programmer that they can contact me for help". And I replied with "I AM the programmer.", "but I thought you were the artist."
 GiggleHand Thumbs Up Right

Oh well, I'll get there. I hope.

THE FUTURE

It's there, for sure. It's also coming closer, yup.
Eo and Keu still wait for me to write more code, all day, every day.

Vent over I guess...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »

Hang in there pal! Doing your own collision code sounds fun but very time consuming, I had my own running for a few months but then switched to Box2d, and left it behind me. Some fights are just not worth the effort. I know how you feel, and you've got a long road ahead, but you'll have a great game at the end and would have learnt how to do everything yourself. -b

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2017, 03:16:24 AM »

I don't know if this may help as I program in unity C# but I also had trouble with collisions for the longest time.

My solution for multiple hitboxes working simultaneously. each hitbox will contain a HitID- a large randomized number that will be put into an array of the collider receiving the hit, when the Object is no longer being collided with, clear the number(s) in the array.

when receiving a hit, check if the incoming collider has the same number as any number in the array, that way you can stop it reacting twice to the same collider.

Hope this makes sense, and relevant? 

GuiltyGreens
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2017, 05:10:05 AM »

What about SAT are you having trouble with? For optimization, you could go with Sweep n' Prune http://jitter-physics.com/wordpress/?tag=sweep-and-prune
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »

Using the with() function seemed to work, but it ended up being more inefficient than I thought. So I went to arrays, but they don't cater to objects. Then I hacked together a hybrid between the two! That's not working either
I've had good luck with collision_rectangle(). I'm sure similar functions would be useful.
I'd also imagine that box2d would be very reliable for quick and dirty smooth yet almost pixel perfect collisions. The obvious problem is that you would also need to (maybe) rework movement, as using the physics engine in GMS disables the original constants (x,y,speed,hspeed,vspeed,ect).
Anyway, best of luck! Hope you work around this soon. Game seems to be shaping up great so far!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

I don't know Game Maker, so I don't know if the following is feasible with it. However, if it is, then I really recommend looking into a third-party physics engine (as suggested above). I suspect that there already exists an engine that does what you want (or close to it), allowing you to concentrate to a greater degree on the game itself, and less on underlying technical matters. Unless, of course, the creation of a physics engine is itself one of your goals--in which case fair enough!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic