Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1301872 Posts in 58014 Topics- by 49084 Members - Latest Member: K

June 25, 2017, 04:12:53 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsNYKRA
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Author Topic: NYKRA  (Read 70808 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:39 pm »

I don't know Game Maker, so I don't know if the following is feasible with it. However, if it is, then I really recommend looking into a third-party physics engine (as suggested above). I suspect that there already exists an engine that does what you want (or close to it), allowing you to concentrate to a greater degree on the game itself, and less on underlying technical matters. Unless, of course, the creation of a physics engine is itself one of your goals--in which case fair enough!

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
khofez
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »

i love the idea of making your own stuff instead of using 3rd party code, but i also think that there is a limit to it, you have to balance what it's worth for your game at the moment, its pretty cool writing your own stuff but when you have to get it done and you are having trouble in making it work then i think you should use 3rd party stuff (unless you actually finished it and its working properly), i'd suggest you to use box2d, its pretty good and stable, you should try it
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2017, 04:10:06 pm »

I implemented my whole stuff myself and it is very very dangerous I have to say. Like sometimes you think you coded everything fine, for example my handmade raycasting code, it looks absolutely fine. It works pretty nice for a while, until couple months later you notice a non-sense bug happening. It happened many many times to me and it gets more solid time but it's kinda bad to go back to that code because of the random bugs.

For the raycast example, one of the issue was like, this function takes a position and an angle. Lets say you put angle as 180 (which is DOWN in my code), so there is a laser object aiming down. It was working without an issue in any position. Then one day I put this laser to an edge of a wall, like it covers the whole wall. It was still looking okay, but after going down like ~3000 pixels, laser was ending. Why it would happen? I had no idea. I had a max limit for raycast but it was more than ~3k pixels. When I print out some beautiful numbers, it turns out that when I convert the angle 180 to unit vector, it is not being pure (0, 1), it is being (-0.000001, 1) or something. So that minimal error makes a 1px difference in long range and the ray hits to left wall.

I fixed it by adding some fixed values like if degree is 180, just use (0, 1) unit vector.

But this is like just one of them, this kind of stuff happens a lot. And it's even worse if you don't have some dedicated testers who knows technical stuff.

So now you know what kind of weirdness can happen. It is very dangerous and hard but writing stuff yourself gives you incredible flexibility. I am not sure if this is possible in a game engine but for example I can cast a ray from inside a wall and ignore couple walls without stopping.  

Also don't forget that my game does not have crazy physic objects or interactions. It all depends on your time and need I guess.

Your game looks pretty cool btw, I am looking forward to it!

kkairos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:15 am »

This one looks super-neat so far and I got reminded of it while checking a sea of devlogs, so I wanted to actually comment on it so it'd be easier for me to know when it actually comes out!

ENDESGA
Level 1

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2017, 10:02:50 pm »

Over the past few months people have been using my EDG16 and EDG32 palettes. I've received so many praises, and nice comments about the palettes Beer!

SO AS A THANK YOU, I HAVE FOUR NEW PALETTES FOR YOU!

DOWNLOAD ENOS16 for ASEPRITE HERE

ENOS16 can be used with simple Anti-Aliasing. The soft colours work best on a white background! This would be the palette I'd use if I was to design a Computer OS.

DOWNLOAD EDG8 for ASEPRITE HERE

EDG8 is crazy colourful! It can be used in a whole bunch of places ~

DOWNLOAD EN4 for ASEPRITE HERE

EN4 is used for SUPER MINIMALISTIC Pixelart. It's great for learning contrast, as well.

DOWNLOAD Arq4 for ASEPRITE HERE

Arq4 is a special palette I've been perfecting for months. It shines when it comes to sprites, and small details. The solid black and white make it great to use as well.

To add the palette in Aseprite, click on the 'Options' button next to 'Presets', and click 'Load Palette'. Choose the *.ase file, and HUZZAH!

Don't have Aseprite? That's all good!
You can sample the colours from here:

Make sure to follow me on Twitter, and tag the palette (#EDG8 for eg.). If you're super proud, and really want me to see it, tag @ENDESGA ![/size]

Until next time,
-Seth
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:33:43 am by ENDESGA » Logged

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:55 pm »

Hallo! Smiley

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
ENDESGA
Level 1

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:21 am »

Hallo! Smiley

Hello Ben! :D

I'm thinking about posting more here... hmmm

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2017, 01:07:11 am »

Niiice. If you tweet this at Nesbox, I bet he'll add them to his TIC-80 fantasy console too Wink

https://nesbox.itch.io/tic
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile Email
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »

Damm those are pretty.

This will help me to actually do some pixelart instead of fussing over color all the time!

Thank you so much Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic