Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:48:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFailsafe (working title)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Failsafe (working title)  (Read 3699 times)
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »

The plant gun (goo gun?) is awesome.  I can see a lot of other mechanics building off of that core mechanic.  (flamethrower to burn back the green stuff if you accidentally grew too much of it, flame hazards in the world that will wipe out your green platforms, parasites/enemies that are attracted to the green goo, maybe a life cycle where the green stuff blooms and then disintegrates over time, so you have to move quickly, etc.)

Take a second look, the green stuff is an environmental element, not a weapon. At least I believe. Edit: I do like those ideas though, and they could still work with the way it's currently implemented.

And pLaw, I'm excited to see any direction you take this game. I thought of a more eloquent way of describing what I meant to say. I'm attracted to a good pixel game more than a 3d styled game, but I still thoroughly enjoy both. I'm by no means a purist. Also thanks for the compliments on my game, it means a lot. I'm really happy with my progress, and look to other pixel artists (including yours) for inspiration.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:10:44 PM by Grog » Logged

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »

Ah i see now that it is not a special gun, but a plant that grows outwards when shot.  Still looks cool though Smiley

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »

Ohhhh my these design sketches look lovely  Kiss

I think there's someone on these forums who runs a site dedicated to game design sketches like these? You should definitely submit these.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »

[...]
Maybe there is a middle ground. An art style that appeals to pixel-enthusiasts and pixel-naysayers.

I like pixel art and i like your aliased characters and the high res tiles, too. But in case of that GRAIL screenshot, the individual parts look better than the combination, imho. I think pixel art lives by it's limitations. For example, different pixel sizes look wrong to me. On the other hand, i would like to see more games combining pixel art with an anti-aliased font, i'm weary of big-pixel-fonts. (For example: Swords & Sworcery used an aliased font. FEZ used a pixel font for dialogue, in combination with sub-pixel kerning.) Interestingly you already broke exactly that rule in your gate interface. Smiley

I'd love to see a complete hi res mockup. The 3D approach with 2D tiles and normal map lighting sounds interesting. And obviously you have the skills to use 3D for characters, too. You should not stick to pixel art for the sake of nostalgia.
pLaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »

Guys, thank you for all your feedback!

Take a second look, the green stuff is an environmental element, not a weapon. At least I believe. Edit: I do like those ideas though, and they could still work with the way it's currently implemented.

And pLaw, I'm excited to see any direction you take this game. I thought of a more eloquent way of describing what I meant to say. I'm attracted to a good pixel game more than a 3d styled game, but I still thoroughly enjoy both. I'm by no means a purist. Also thanks for the compliments on my game, it means a lot. I'm really happy with my progress, and look to other pixel artists (including yours) for inspiration.

Yes, the green growing tiles are an environmental feature and they react on bein "damage" and grow instead. Persistent (not 'player grown') green tiles are destructable with the flame thrower. Well observed Wink

I understand what you mean. Prefering pixel art does not make you dismiss other artistic directions, of course.
Until now I just had the time to admire the screenshots of Dash & ATLAS. I'd like to take my time and read throgh the thread before I start to talk about the concept. The art definitely improved over the iterations and the current state of the character and the vehicle look pretty good.

Ohhhh my these design sketches look lovely  Kiss

I think there's someone on these forums who runs a site dedicated to game design sketches like these? You should definitely submit these.

Oh, I didn't know such a thread existed. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

I like pixel art and i like your aliased characters and the high res tiles, too. But in case of that GRAIL screenshot, the individual parts look better than the combination, imho. I think pixel art lives by it's limitations. For example, different pixel sizes look wrong to me. On the other hand, i would like to see more games combining pixel art with an anti-aliased font, i'm weary of big-pixel-fonts. (For example: Swords & Sworcery used an aliased font. FEZ used a pixel font for dialogue, in combination with sub-pixel kerning.) Interestingly you already broke exactly that rule in your gate interface. Smiley

I'd love to see a complete hi res mockup. The 3D approach with 2D tiles and normal map lighting sounds interesting. And obviously you have the skills to use 3D for characters, too. You should not stick to pixel art for the sake of nostalgia.

I have similar thoughts on consistency regarding pixel sizes within a scene. I wouldn't go exactly for the GRAIL style because of the inconsistent 'resolutions' of the different parts you pointed out (there was a time restriction, so I decided not to put too much work into this Wink ). As for fonts within a pixel art styled game, I rather prefer the fonts to fit into the raster prescribed by the pixel art. I know, I broke that rule in my gate room Smiley but I considered it to be a work in progress and I'm still uncertain of the current art style. Swords & Sworcery did not convince me interface-wise. The pixel art in this game is so gorgeous and well-crafted but the non-pixel-UI with vector graphics, gradients and fonts in a few places broke the spell for me. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game. Same thing with Freaking Meatbags or Dungeon of Endless. Both unquestionably great games, but the UIs somehow do not fit with the rest imho.

I think I'll be working on some mockups first to get some ideas on the art direction.

pLaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »

Ok, this is going to be a bit awkward  Sad

I worked on this project for a while since my last post, but eventually I had to stop because of several reasons:
Reason one being that I started a contract job (porting and overhauling an existing game) in order to get some money in. This job is still ongoing and is taking up most of my time.
Reason two is that I somehow managed to start working on more game prototypes on the sidelines than I could actually handle. So I kind of lost my focus which feels terrible and I'm still struggling with it Tired

I didn't want to post anything unless it was visible progress presentable in screenshots or videos. The concept has shifted directions several times until I realized that either it's too far from the original idea or its scope was simply too overwhelming for a single developer. It definitely spawned some ideas for future projects but in the end it appeared too mundane to me.

Putting a lid on this one is a sad thing for me, since I used to be very enthusiastic about it.
There has been so much going on in games lately that I felt that this game I was working on had no chance of standing out.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good thing to cut off some loose ends:
This project is cancelled.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 05:35:57 PM »

aw man  Sad

sad that it's over, but I totally understand
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: