Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:40:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCharacters for a game I may make (WIP) (Critique)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Characters for a game I may make (WIP) (Critique)  (Read 1412 times)
Nathan (@nathanenglert)
Level 0

twitter.com/nathanenglert

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »

Here are some characters I've been putting together for a new game I'm thinking about working on.  It's going to be a 2D top-down action RPG and the main character would be a wizard / mage.  What do you all think?  I'm not too keen on the staff.. not sure how to approach them yet.

jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »

The guy in the cloak with the staff is my favorite design, but maybe experiment with different colors for the staff and shoes? Maybe black or silver/gray? To me they don't fit the feel of his cloak yet, because the cloak say cult-ish/mystical and the staff and shoes say average townsperson.

The hat on the 3rd guy feels too large, makes it feel kinda goofy.

The fourth guy could probably lose the black border around his hair. He also seems more like a fighter/thief than a wizard?

Overall though, good designs!
Nathan (@nathanenglert)
Level 0

twitter.com/nathanenglert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:08:51 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I agree, the boots may need to change a bit.  I'm still experimenting with the staff color.. I wanted this staff to have a curvy-wooden feel to it, hence the brown.  As for the hat.. well.. maybe I went a little overboard on the size.  Tongue

Here's some updates from this morning!

jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:09:15 AM »

NIce, I like that shoe color a lot more, and the wooden staff works better too without brown shoes.

I think my problem with the hat is that it sits so low, covering his eyes a bit, and the brim opening is larger than his head. Feels a bit like a kid wearing an adult's hat.
Peyton
Level 0

"Now Only 70% Rude!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »

Not a bad start.

It is a bit difficult to make out the perspective of the characters. The feet and most of the body appear to be at a top/down view, whereas the face is at a frontal view. This difference in perspective is primarily noticeable on the man with the hat, as there is no apparent perspective to indicate the top/down view on it.

Also, I would recommend avoiding dithering on sprites this small. Though it can work as a stylistic choice, I feel like it sacrifices form on these characters and just looks messy.

I am just your typical 16 year old future game dev.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic