Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:11:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPolychromatoma [demo]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Polychromatoma [demo]  (Read 12068 times)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »

YMM, I know the difference, I didn't mean to mix the two. My game will hopefully contain both, in good amounts.

I like how YMM said it.

Also, sketchy characters can loop, it's just a matter of keeping their shapes generally right.

They DO loop, I mean I don't know how to loop animated gifs :D

Yay parallax scrolling! (Second layer not visible in this pic)

Please critique on the colors.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:59:28 AM by nayon » Logged

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 01:16:34 AM »

But I'm playing An Untitled Story, but I think it's more exploration oriented then frustration platforming...
Wait until the final boss. Crazy
Oh, come on Nikolai!  It's not that hard! (on normal difficulty)  :D

I really love what YMM did with the last segment of that fight, really genius, and I haven't seen that done nearly as many times as it should be.

I'm collaborating on one right now with the master Well, hello there! bring on the deaths!
How did no one else see this?
 Shocked Epileptic

:D

I can't decide weather or not to be exited to have my ass handed to me; hmm, this shouldn't be something I have to think about.  :D

And yeah, IWBTG really pisses me off, and I refuse to play it.  Funny concept, sure, but stuff like that should be for videos or something, and not actual games that can be played.  It has to be the most unfair thing ever, and I fail to see how it's fun at that point. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:27:01 AM by GregWS » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:02 AM »

By the way, let me make it clear, this won't be full of random out-of-nowhere things that pop out every second, but it will be hard. It will also be speed-runnable and sequence breakable.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:05 AM »

I made a demo for you people to test out the gameplay.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yjkrmjkjy5z/polychromatoma_demo1.exe

Please comment on it. Also, what do you think of the music? I am quite proud of it.

Finally, how hard is it for you to reach the exit on the bottom of the screen? Hint: dropkick

By the way, this might be a little cpu intensive, I don't know. We'll see how it runs on people's machines.

Controls are explained by pressing f1.

I coded a lot of this by myself, however some dude on the gmc helped me. Music and images are all mine. I can upload the song if anyone wants to make it a ringtone or something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:37:25 AM by nayon » Logged

increpare
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 05:09:27 AM »

runs fine; there isn't much gameplay in it yet though?  (just to check: there's a single area where you go right, then up,then left, yep?)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2009, 05:10:43 AM »

You can go down too.

Dropkicking lets you go through black/pink (not black/white/pink) thingies. Try going down.

Also, when you reach the top, there's a moving platform to the right.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:15:03 AM by nayon » Logged

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »

I find most of them annoying, because I know there's nothing I get from beating them. Especially the Knytt Stories torture levels fall under this category, at it's best there can only be some screens with text in the end. IWBTG keeps me playing, because there're cool bosses/funny things among the frustrating instakills.

Spelunky definitely doesn't belong to this class, it's way too forgiving (and easy if I may say). I wouldn't count even Nikujin into this category, because you can (theoretically) beat the whole game without ever playing any of it's levels if you just know the different moves you can perform. Nikujin isn't really about instakills, more like just plain hardness, and after some point, not even that.

For me, another thing that matters is that how clever and funny the traps/instakilling things are. Yet again this makes KS annoying: no matter what level you're playing, there's no possibility that you'd meet a new way of dying or something like that; there're just those same enemies. IWBTG is fun (well, not maybe fun, but something to that direction) because sometimes you die in such a way that makes you smile (for example some moves performed by the Street Fighter Kraid).

EDIT: And oh, I'll download the game when I get home. The topic was just too good :D

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »

I find most of them annoying, because I know there's nothing I get from beating them. Especially the Knytt Stories torture levels fall under this category, at it's best there can only be some screens with text in the end. IWBTG keeps me playing, because there're cool bosses/funny things among the frustrating instakills.

Spelunky definitely doesn't belong to this class, it's way too forgiving (and easy if I may say). I wouldn't count even Nikujin into this category, because you can (theoretically) beat the whole game without ever playing any of it's levels if you just know the different moves you can perform. Nikujin isn't really about instakills, more like just plain hardness, and after some point, not even that.

For me, another thing that matters is that how clever and funny the traps/instakilling things are. Yet again this makes KS annoying: no matter what level you're playing, there's no possibility that you'd meet a new way of dying or something like that; there're just those same enemies. IWBTG is fun (well, not maybe fun, but something to that direction) because sometimes you die in such a way that makes you smile (for example some moves performed by the Street Fighter Kraid).

EDIT: And oh, I'll download the game when I get home. The topic was just too good :D

Don't expect too much yet, it's just something to show off the animations and movement!

I'm working on levels now...

Fuzz
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »

This is why I play them. I love IWBTG and Catmario/Syobon Action because they're funny/interesting/surprising, not for the difficulty. The difficulty just makes it very funny and intense. It also really feels good to beat a boss in IWBTG, because you spent hours figuring out all the bosses little quirks (now I feel a bit guilty about Kraidgeif, since I exploited a glitch to beat him). Also, Syobon Action isn't really all that hard. It just takes an hour or so,
SPOILER:
the only tricky part being the final part where you think you go sideways, but you really go up, but that's what Let's Plays are for! (is that cheating?)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:30:30 PM by Fuzz » Logged
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »

Finally, how hard is it for you to reach the exit on the bottom of the screen?

Almost impossible. Without your hint I wouldn't have known I was supposed to go down there in the first place, and once I did figure out what I was supposed to do, the tiny window required to stop the drop kick before hitting the deadly wall on the left made it an incredibly fiddly manoeuvre. I made it through two times out of about 30, and then when I saw what you were asking me to do (and once I found out that I didn't have room to jump without hitting my head on the deadly ceiling), I gave up.

I realise this section is most likely taken out of context, but you'd have to do a lot of work prior to this in order to familiarise the player with what they have to do, and with the techniques to do it. Even so, I think it's just too fiddly, with too little room for error, for it to be enjoyable.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »

Finally, how hard is it for you to reach the exit on the bottom of the screen?

Almost impossible. Without your hint I wouldn't have known I was supposed to go down there in the first place, and once I did figure out what I was supposed to do, the tiny window required to stop the drop kick before hitting the deadly wall on the left made it an incredibly fiddly manoeuvre. I made it through two times out of about 30, and then when I saw what you were asking me to do (and once I found out that I didn't have room to jump without hitting my head on the deadly ceiling), I gave up.

I realise this section is most likely taken out of context, but you'd have to do a lot of work prior to this in order to familiarise the player with what they have to do, and with the techniques to do it. Even so, I think it's just too fiddly, with too little room for error, for it to be enjoyable.

Hmmm... It is pretty easy to me. Maybe you are doing something wrong? I mean yeah, at the beginning it was torturously difficult for me too, but I can do it.

It's going to be there at the beginning of the game, but that's non the path that the player is supposed to follow. I'll make it so that the player is lead to the moving platform to the right. It won't be super difficult in the beginning.

This example was Jumper-style difficulty.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic