Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:15:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPUSE — follow a kitten through Norway (NEW: butterflies and day jobs)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: PUSE — follow a kitten through Norway (NEW: butterflies and day jobs)  (Read 13231 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »

Now also generating ground collision. I also bugfixed my slope code. And Marte drew a tree to be inhabited by a magpie! See kitty run~

A Strange Bird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »

this looks amaaazing  Shocked following this thread, you should totally post more! love the little technical bits too  Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

Woop! Thanks! c':

I've been doing some more work on the above algorithm without really posting about it and briefly started working on water and some other stuff. And general bug fixing.

We've also been sketching out some level design on paper while playing other games and so on.

And Marte drew this neat troll concept! Forgot to post that.

leblackdragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 03:40:55 AM »

Are we working on the same project? Cheesy Who, Me?

It's really nice to see a very similar project and how others tackle the same issues with different solutions. Also very informative as you explain nicely. Lots to learn from you.

Welcome to the Cat's Manor:
A Cat's Manor Devlog

Twitter @as3adya

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 04:14:00 AM »

Yours seems a little darker and grimmer than this one. Maybe yours is a combination of my two games? Wink

Thanks! <3

leblackdragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 04:23:27 AM »

Yours seems a little darker and grimmer than this one. Maybe yours is a combination of my two games? Wink

Thanks! <3
Actually yours is the combination of both our games since you have a lot more advanced systems and features than mine.

Welcome to the Cat's Manor:
A Cat's Manor Devlog

Twitter @as3adya

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »

Really? Haven't done that much on this game yet, and you seem to have a lot going for yours at this point. Grin

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »

Blink

Well. We've been watching through the new series of Dr. Who, seasons 1 through 8, in a long sort of marathon. That's our excuse for absence.

But we've been messing around these last few days!

Real time level editing

So now the "dynamically clad terrain" from before actually updates in the editor when its shape is modified so that we don't have to start the game to actually run the algorithm and see what the terrain is going to look like after getting textured. This also means we can now edit the level in real time as we are playing it, as seen below:

Cat reacting and getting moved around and all. Note also that the rock walls are getting tiles at the edges where there isn't grass now. Much better. Still the old graphics, but we'll be messing around with it.

The above GIF showed the play window. This one shows the editor window, showing how I'm actually moving the vertices of the polygon to modify the shape:

All of the textures involved can be modified in the inspector and a random seed can be edited if the outcome of the decals (grass and little rocks ATM) are not to one's liking. And new types of decals can be added.

I've made a preset in the form of a prefab for the forest version so that I can just drag and drop it from the file inspector into the scene in order to start shaping a new piece of forest terrain, and I'll be adding more presets for other areas of the game, such as a snowy version.

Wall jumping

Got this feature more properly fixed, altho it had already been half-implemented from earlier on, so all I did was fix up the bugs and tighten the controllers, really.

Creating a nice pair of towers to try it out on was of course very easy this time around, tho, what with the autoterrain features.

Animation

Marte figured out how to do animations the Photoshop way, making her workflow a lot slicker, and so she tried it out by making this neat, basic running cycle for the cat.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

Which triangulation method you use? I tried the same - generating a mesh from the polygon collider points - but my programming skills are too low to add grass and rocks. Smiley Did you add the additional meshes with 4 corners for texturing purposes only? Is the cat colliding with the ground with its belly?

(I used this Triangulator script:http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Triangulator. It's creating a non-optimized mesh with lots of very long and thin triangles.)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »

following

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

Wow Marte's new animation looks slick. Very nice! Now that I see it in action, "wall jumping" seems like the perfect cat mechanic...

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this is great

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »

Which triangulation method you use?

(I used this Triangulator script:http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Triangulator. It's creating a non-optimized mesh with lots of very long and thin triangles.)
That's the one!

I tried the same - generating a mesh from the polygon collider points - but my programming skills are too low to add grass and rocks. Smiley
I'm doing it by checking the angles between the points to see how steep they are and then decide what to put there.

Did you add the additional meshes with 4 corners for texturing purposes only? Is the cat colliding with the ground with its belly?
There's also one (not a mesh but a collider) for collision which is not at the same height as the ground tiles, to make the character appear to be walking in the middle of the patch of grass or w/e rather than floating on top of it. So the collision does happen at the feet but the collision on the ground isn't at the top of the tile.

following
Gomez

Now that I see it in action, "wall jumping" seems like the perfect cat mechanic...
I guess it's slightly more believable than with human characters. Tongue

Wow Marte's new animation looks slick. Very nice!

She gives thanks to you both! ε:

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

That's a nice looking terrain-generator. Just wanted to say that really, and the new animation looks good of course!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »

Thanks and thanks from us both. c:

A Strange Bird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »

I don´t know much about the technical bits but it looks awesome! The new walk cycle looks amazing too, can´t wait to see more  Smiley
Helicon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »

This is looking fab. I love the sliding down the wall with the little claw marks!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »

Thank you both!

I forgot one thing in the last update. I'd also been working on basic ledge mechanics with some temporary graphics:

It's much less slick than the wall jumping ATM, especially considering what I did to the camera for the sake of this GIF (it usually doesn't follow the kitty vertically), but seems to be working. Had a bit of an annoyance due to what combinations of collisions Unity chooses to ignore (seriously, there's an official two-dimensional table showing which collisions will fail), but managed to fix it in the end. t-t

It should be said that the sprites for both the wall slide and this ledge grip are just my quick and dirty edits of the original sprite and not proper work from Marte. She'll fix them eventually, animated and all! She did play around with a concept for the ledge grip akin to the running animation above, tail wiggling and all, but she's not at home right now so I can't show you.

Instead, this fantastic product of a half-finished ledge grip sprite edit!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »

How do you do ledge grip?, marked corner?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »

How do you do ledge grip?, marked corner?
Yeah. Might have the terrain thingy generate the markers and then just make prefabs for platforms. That way I'll have control over ledges so that the kitty doesn't end up being to able to hang onto weird places while still making sure I'll never forget to mark any sensible ledge.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic