Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:16:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel art feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art feedback  (Read 2365 times)
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

I'm working on a small jrpg(-ish) homebrew for the game boy. I would really appreciate some feedback on graphics.

Here's what I got so far:

Tiles, characters and mock ups:

The tiles can use all the four shades of the game boy while characters are limited to four.
I'm going to change the dark grey on the characters to the light grey. It blends in too much with the black on the original game boy.

Monsters:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »

This is really well done.

The monsters are disturbing, and the little characters rather cute and inviting. I think the chair kinda has a "front view" too much, but overall, it's really nice. Good job!

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:22:44 AM »

Yea that's a great job getting everything to read soooo clearly with like 25pixels of 4 colors!

I'd say that the monsters' silhouettes are all pretty similar. Generally the same size and roundness. Emphasizing some as top heavy, floating, tentacled, boney, etc... And checking how they compare strictly as silhouettes only wouldn't cost much work, but could pay off big time.

Oh god make it stop.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »

hey this looks really nice, super cute i like it.

i can't really tell if the tiles beneath the house are water or some sort of pit? they maybe need something to define them some more.
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback and glad you all liked it.

I think the chair kinda has a "front view" too much, but overall, it's really nice. Good job!

Yeah, I had some problem with this. I'm gonna give it another go, I'll post the results later.

i can't really tell if the tiles beneath the house are water or some sort of pit? they maybe need something to define them some more.

It's suppose to be a swamp. Maybe adding roots and plants growing in it would help.

I'd say that the monsters' silhouettes are all pretty similar. Generally the same size and roundness. Emphasizing some as top heavy, floating, tentacled, boney, etc... And checking how they compare strictly as silhouettes only wouldn't cost much work, but could pay off big time.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think about the silhouettes at all when I made them. I'm gonna give them another go and see if I can make them stand out from each other a bit more.

Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:56:01 AM »

All right, I've done some more.

Tried to make the back view of the chair more in line with the perspective. But I'm not that happy with the end result, couldn't get it to look good. I ended up making some stools and a bed instead.

Also made some things for the swamp, made some water lilies and some plants growing out of it. Might have gone a bit overkill with the placement of them in the example image.

Also started working on the title screen:

seven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »

The cloak makes his arms looks stubby compared to the spaceman in the first post but maybe that'll go away when he animates.

The white lines are enough detail for the water. I think with this art style you have to err on the side of lots of tile repetition rather than trying to add visual interest and reducing readability. Here are some references I totally stole from Tsugumo's pixel art tutorial:

Background, non-interactive tiles should be built mainly out of solid colors with a few pixels to give them context. Because foreground sprites and background tiles share the same color palette it's important that they use different detail densities and geometry (e.g. in that waterfall shot, the background tiles are more rectangular than foreground sprites/trees, unlike the lily pads which at a glance could be game objects) so you can tell them apart at a glance.

The title screen's really cool! I like how the cloak has AA pixels but the skull doesn't, to reinforce that they're different textures. The dotted line of symmetry on his skull looks a little odd to me though; I'm not sure what it's supposed to be communicating. And the hands/gravestone look a little odd... the hands look a little too human for this nightmare death creature (unless that was intentional) and the gravestone looks like it's coming out of the ground because of the angle it's being held at.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic