Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:01:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPokemon Inspired RPG (Procedural Monsters)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pokemon Inspired RPG (Procedural Monsters)  (Read 10835 times)
porpcorn
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 11:28:54 PM »

This looks like it could be really fun. Are you considering also evolving skills within the same tree? So evolution promises stronger skills?
puffintoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »

ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease never stop making this game.
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »

New 3d mons look very good.  But it's the card battling system that is really interesting...

Caravan: devlog | website
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »

@crusty
Yes, it needs a bit refining. I find that the battles tend to go on for quite a lot of turns so I still have a lot of tweeking to do. On the matter, I was wondering what rpg fans think of long battles vs short battles?

@puffintoast
I'll try my best  Wizard

@porpcorn
Yes I want to implement a system where monsters learns skills based on their fighting style and diet and other factors. I have never done anything like before so we will see how that turns out. I really want to make like a cheeseburger making simulator in certain shops where try and find out what kind of foods your monsters like. It could be a fun mini game I don't know, I am talking purely in the realm of fantasy at this point though.

@tupperwarespoon
I have thought about breeding, yes. I have also thought about fusing. I noticed that some mons don't have a lot a features and look like floating heads, and I thought it would be cool if you could temporarily during battle put that mon's head on another mon's head using a fusion card of sorts like this.

@tjpalmer
Thanks, Unfortunately it has been giving me a lot of trouble so I am tabling it for now. I was just coding random shapes in gamemaker's 3D mode which is not very fun

Been rill busy wont be able to update as often. The 3D thing didn't work the way I wanted to and found I was spending too much time on it so I decided to go back to 2D sprites and also beefed them up a bit. I also made the cards smaller to have room for the name of the card at the bottom
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:36:44 PM by noumenus » Logged

tupperwarespoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »

I would never have thought of fusing, and that looks awesome.

David Jenkinson, Duct Tape Games
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 02:51:22 AM »

These look pretty cool
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

This looks really original! I'm looking forward to reptilian/dragonic looking creatures. Keep working on this!

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »

Okay I came back to this.

I had an idea for a simple story that I think would go well with my original idea of randomly generated monsters.

So unfortunately I am scrapping the card game mechanic in favor of a more real time type of battle system. It all works only in my head as of now so that's not set in stone.

Anyway I came up with a more fun way of generating the mons without using pre drawn sprites. This way I can scale them up and they will still look pretty. I'll probably show that later.

I also recently discovered how random works and the power of seeds. So now I can use a seed number to generate the same monsters. This will save a ton of space on save files as I no longer have to use some huge array system to hold all the monsters' looks in. Also if I ever come up with a way to make the game multiplayer it will make trading a snap!

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:09 AM »

This project has so much ambition, in the best of ways. It's what we all dreamed of when playing Pokemon but until now thought was impossible.

Can't wait to see where this goes

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:27 AM »

Wow. Well done. o_o

Would be nice if you worked with only a few fixed seeds and minor random variations, in order to emulate species (populations that are generally the same over all) with individuals (with minor differences), and perhaps evolutions with more or less fixed seeds if you want to go the Pokémon route as well. Having every individual creature be completely random would just be weird. People like recognising things. But maybe you already thought of or said that in the thread and I missed it.

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »

I agree with Prinsessa about having 'species' that are just random seeds that get changed monster to monster. Especially if the random seeds change game to game. So every time you play it is different, but over time you would recognize the species.
It would be cool I think.

Either way i'm happy to see the project back! I am a fan of both monster battling and randomness!
I think your already doing a great job of having the evolutions both look like the smaller monster and get its own unique features.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »

Okay, that's amazing.

Also, ates Cheesy
agusdrs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:40 AM »

I really like the idea! I will follow this thread.
Which language and library are you using?
puffintoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:08 AM »

Hooray!! Very glad to hear you are continuing with this project.
Best of luck, and keep us posted!
matwek
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 06:07:26 AM »

So unfortunately I am scrapping the card game mechanic in favor of a more real time type of battle system. It all works only in my head as of now so that's not set in stone.

Have you considered something like Final Fantasy 12's Gambit system for battling?
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gambits

You essentially construct a primitive AI by combining Commands with basic Criteria and then the characters perform actions based on the priority that you list them. For example...
-If below 50% Health = Heal
-Target enemy with Fire weakness = Fire
-Target enemy with highes HP = Attack

So pretty much the same set up as old RPG AI systems but you have the option to mix and match actions and change setups on the fly.
Rather than directly controling the character you would take a back seat and manage their response to a situation. Which personally I feel is a good match for a Monster Training RPG.

Some mosters would follow orders directly, where as some more toublesome monsters could stray from their AI set up on occasions. A timid monster might heal more than they have to, whilst an angry monster might lash out with powerful attacks when not needed.
Players could set up various 'AI builds' for each monster (Attack, Defence, Buff, Debuff, Healer etc), and then flick between tactics depending on the battle. Kind of like how a Sport Managment Sim plays differently to a Standard Sport Sim.

And if you wanted to keep to your procedural design there is no reason why all the Commands and Criteras couldn't be randomly generated.
Some monsters might have the 'if below 50% HP' command, where as others it might be 'if below 46% HP' or 'if below 31% HP'. You would have to build your monsters AI based on what commands they had access to.
As the monsters level up not only do they get stronger, but you also gain more AI options and flexability.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »

You need to start using your Twitter account again, OP, so that I can retweet ur pokemanz.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »

Oh good, it's not dead! Bout time we got an update, you slowpoke!

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »

So I got it to produce larger versions of the sprites. Since the screen is bigger I thought it would be cool to be able to scale the monsters for different situations. The larger versions seem to reveal more of the process so I'm thinking about changing the way they are made to a less abstract monster.

So I work and then I'm doing a thing on the side so these posts won't be all the time Sad

@Rujik
It will be real one day

@Prinsessa
Ya thats a good idea! When I get it to what I like, I will get back on all the socials and post it

@Matwek
That's really interesting, but I was thinking about a more direct control approach. But that could serve useful for AI.

@puffintoast
Thanks!

@agusdrs
Gamemaker!

@Canned Turkey
Thanks!

@Chris MacAdam
Perhaps, one thing I am struggling with generating random monsters is the more I try to control it and generate "cool" monsters the more they start to look the same and when I put less parameters on the generation there is always a rare random chance that it generates a really unique design that surprises me but most are too abstract and weird.

@Prinsessa
I am definitely doing things to try to control the randomness. There are so many veriables and I have gone through 4 different methods of generating random monsters. It's all about balancing control and giving the generator power to pull most of the weight in creating unique and familiar monsters.

@ supermega_peter
Thanks I appreciate all your guy's encouragement!

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 04:43:53 AM »

I like the dark blue rabbit looking guy.

The larger versions seem to reveal more of the process so I'm thinking about changing the way they are made to a less abstract monster.

I was about to comment the monsters are starting to look more abstract. Most of the brown guys look pretty organic but the new guys kinda remind me of the pokemon porygon.

That's not a problem if its only some of the monsters but I would be very disappointed if they all have that abstract feel. They kinda look like robots or spaceships in the newest image.

Again, I like the blue guy, and if he had distinguishable hands/arms I think he would be stellar.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic