Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:53:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBig Fish Games Bans Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Big Fish Games Bans Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble  (Read 9001 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »

Details: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=15724 and http://www.casualinsider.com/2009/02/big-fish-games-bans-a-game-for-the-first-time/

Apparently a bunch of folk who didn't even play the game complained about it mainly based on the description and screenshots, and Big Fish capitulated and took it down after a week there. It's the first game that they've done that for in their history, apparently.

I think it's pretty bad when a game nominated for excellence in writing is taken down based on moral paranoia. Especially considering that that portal (even though it's casual) has tons of games where you kill things, compared against which flirting and bullying and such seems tame by comparison.

increpare
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:27:50 AM »

Ah christ...
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:28:08 AM »

LOL
what would you expect from the "typical Hidden-Object audience" huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »

BFG's loss. I think Mousechief can use this, just like cliffski etc say in the thread. Very small-minded of BFG to do something like this, but that's business for you.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »

Censorship of this sort is utterly inexcusable--Big Fish Games should be ashamed of themselves!

That having been said, I can see why this happened. On a site whose genre listings consist of Hidden Object, Time Management, Adventure, Puzzle, Match 3, Large File, Strategy, Marble Popper, Arcade and Action, Word, Mahjong, Card and Board, Brain Teaser, and Kids, it's hard to imagine that they'd support risk or innovation in gaming. I mean, half of their "genres" are just clones of already-existing casual games.

And virtually all of their games appear to feature art that could come straight out of a children's book. Granted, they have a Kid's section, but I get the feeling most of these games are meant to be "family friendly." BFG just doesn't strike me as a site for individuals who want mature games.

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »

Have they tried to push it into Steam? I'm sure that having a nomination can help you with that.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »

Have they tried to push it into Steam? I'm sure that having a nomination can help you with that.
that sounds like a pretty good idea actually
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »

Not the first time a game was removed. Laxius Force (that was a mean thread when posted here) can't be found on the site anymore & possibly because of the content

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/preList/15403/252125.page

There's scenes that have options like "Bare breasts" when you're about to be eaten by cannibals. And that's the correct way of getting through it without dying

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »

It seems more like BFG's mistake was putting the game on their site in the first place. Considering what the audience is for the rest of the site, I can't imagine it would have sold many copies.

There's scenes that have options like "Bare breasts" when you're about to be eaten by cannibals. And that's the correct way of getting through it without dying

Why does this not surprise me in the slightest... Lips Sealed

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

It does make me sad Laxius Force get on BFG while they rejected Immortal Defense  Cry

Anyway, Steam is *very hard* to get on. They don't even have a public contact email, to my knowledge. But yes, if you can get on there, that'd be a good idea (for any game). It might also do well on GamersGate and Stardock/Impulse. BFG is much more casual, although a few hardcore games have done well on it (such as Aveyond).

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »

What the hell.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »

I was surprised any serious game vendor would take laxius force seriously in the first place. All the graphics look like they were ripped off various -amateur- manga drawings, with varying styles, and yeah the author seems to be a horny 16 years old guy living in his mom's basement.

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:45 AM »

Anyway, Steam is *very hard* to get on. They don't even have a public contact email, to my knowledge. But yes, if you can get on there, that'd be a good idea (for any game).
I think that after the BFG fiasco it was proved that not all games are good for all distribution channels. But I think Steam could be a platform whith a much better audience for DHSGIT (imho  Undecided).
Anyway, a quick google returned me this: steamworks

From a developer point of view I'm happy to be working with Steam. The automatic update system works charms and it even has a DRM that is not intrusive.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »

It looks like Valve is selling development software there. Are you saying that you get an automatic "in" on Steam if you're using that?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »

I don't actually know of any indie that uses steamworks without steam, I wonder if they exist.

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »

It looks like Valve is selling development software there. Are you saying that you get an automatic "in" on Steam if you're using that?

don't think so, they probably have a selection process to decide which games they put on steam

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »

Steamworks does not guarantee that you'll be included with steam, it's just a set of tool they're releasing at large. If you submit to Steam they'll strongly suggest that you use it (that's what they said in an interview)

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »

Wow. Way to go, BFG.  Huh?

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »

That having been said, I can see why this happened. On a site whose genre listings consist of ... Puzzle, Match 3, Large File, ...

Man, I don't know about you, but I'm crazy-addicted to those Large File games.  What with their download times, and...

Wait, what?

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »

Man, I don't know about you, but I'm crazy-addicted to those Large File games.  What with their download times, and...

Wait, what?

That's their category for things that don't have a trial demo, mostly girly adventures (Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie)

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic