Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412011 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58494 Members - Latest Member: aeterponis

July 05, 2024, 05:23:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDumpty Humpty [Procedural 3D Platformer]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dumpty Humpty [Procedural 3D Platformer]  (Read 778 times)
ikedude
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »

Hi,

I've been working on a 3D platformer in the style of Mario 64 but with randomly generated levels.

a video of one of the levels.

I don't have very many computers to test on so I'm hoping to get some feedback on any issues.

For controls I currently support X360 controllers and keyboard.
Code:
Keyboard:
WASD : movement
J    : jump
K    : long jump
QE   : rotate camera
O    : go to a random level
P    : go to level 0

Code:
X360:
Left Stick  : movement
Right Stick : camera movement
Triggers    : camera zoom
Right Bumper: jump
Left Bumper : long jump
A           : jump
X           : long jump
UP          : go to next level
DOWN        : go to previous level
LEFT        : go to level 0
RIGHT       : go to a random level

I've found using a controller a lot easier but if you don't have one the keyboard controls work (kind of, ha).
The current setup uses the first controller it finds, so if you have multiple plugged in I'm not sure which one it will pick.

The goal is to get to the end of each level where there is a floating golden cube.
Along the way are floating blue cubes that are checkpoints (when you fall off you start at the last one you hit).

The second number down on the top right is the level number and also the random seed for that level.
Every time you beat a level the number of challenges (third number down on the top right) goes up by one.
The time in the top left is a sort of reference time to beat. It doesn't take into account any shortcuts and is pretty generous right now.

The first time you run the game it will write out a file called "challenge_setup.txt".
This file affects how often different types of challenges appear in the levels, the starting number of challenges, and how often checkpoints appear.
The rates for the different challenges are all relative so if you want to see more of any particular type just increase it's value.
The formatting is important in the file so don't remove any spaces.
You can always delete it to reset back to the default as well.

I've gone as high as 25000 for the number of challenges without crashing but I wouldn't recommend much higher than 1000 for a decent framerate.

Please try it out and let me know what you think and if you have any issues. Thanks!
Dumpty_Humpty.exe
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:01:16 AM »

I didn't play long, and didn't have my controller plugged in.

I like the idea, but had three main issues.

-The default jump is often completely useless. Almost every jump I made to a platform or wall had to be a double-jump or I wouldn't make it.

-The camera never catches up with my character's direction unless I manually rotate it.

I think my suggestion for that would be to both make the camera follow the character slightly more tightly. When the character is not moving, it should probably rotate behind the character.

-The character slides around far too much (at least, based on my personal preference). Not only does it just make jumping onto small platforms dangerous, but having to stay on the move (jumping because I'd slide off to my death otherwise) means the camera is more of a problem since there's no time to manually adjust it.

This isn't necessarily a big issue, but it seems like the random generation isn't very random at the moment. Two levels I tried started off almost the same way, and your screenshot looks similar too.

Also note that if I run backward, the camera moves to the side and causes the character to run in circles.

I like what you're doing here. Jumping+wall-running challenges can be fun and abstract, randomly-generated levels are interesting. If I didn't mind the camera, I'd probably play more. I may try it with the gamepad at some point because I imagine that makes things a little easier.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
ikedude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I've been fighting the camera for a while but your comments were really helpful. I went back and played some Super Mario Sunshine and I never realized the camera was bi-stable like that where it will lock onto you running towards the camera. I also tightened up the camera following and was able to beat a few levels without adjusting at all, which is a definite improvement.

I agree that slippery-ness is a preference but part of the reason for it is to make side jumps easier. They're a lot harder to do on a keyboard but are a super useful tool. They work a little different from Mario in that they don't kill all your velocity, just in the direction opposite to where the stick is. It allows some sweet side jump gainers where you're mostly moving forward but a little left or right movement can be turned into a side jump without losing forward speed.

The random generation is entirely dependent on the "challenge_setup.txt", so my default distribution probably isn't very good if you're getting extremely similar levels, ha. I'd adjust it to taste if you want.

I updated the executable at the link to have a better camera, feedback is greatly appreciated!
ikedude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »

Hey, just posted an update that now has a pause screen (Start on the X360 and TAB for keyboard). At the pause screen you can type in a specific level that you want to go to which is nice if you're trying to play the same level as someone else.

Also the level generator now defaults to a new one that is a bit different. If you want to switch between them just hit V on the keyboard. The level time for this generator is kind of a wild guess since it's fairly easy to find shortcuts, but it's a start.

Game is at the same link!
Dumpty_Humpty.exe
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic