Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412011 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58494 Members - Latest Member: aeterponis

July 05, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingunArmed - hands down, the toughest game about a guy who's lost both his arms
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: unArmed - hands down, the toughest game about a guy who's lost both his arms  (Read 797 times)
vulgarism.organism
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »

so yeah, I feel like I'm a little late for this party, but I'm finally here, so here goes >>>
past 6 months I've been making a 2D platformer, so many things in it are still temp, like even the name of the game,
but I got a bunch of levels and other stuffz in it and I'm at a point where I'm getting real curious as to how people will react to it,
assuming they will react to it.

so good people, here is my latest build,
any feedback you could give me about anything at all will be labeled 'deeply appreciated',
and remember, if possible, please go in w/ a gamepad.

oh and another thing, there are 2 "locked" challenge rooms in this build,
you can go the purist way and unlock them by collecting what needs to get collected [explained in-game of course],
but in this build you can opt to go the easy way and unlock them by pressing F10 in the menu,
so, for the full experience please give 'em a shot as well.

here are some screens-

and the download is here-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wurh7dt51hkfqbl/unArmed_1.01.rar?dl=0

haoroboto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »

I have not yet given thhe time for a thurough viewing but of the few levels I have seen im quite impressed.
was this a solo project for you
vulgarism.organism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »

I have not yet given thhe time for a thurough viewing but of the few levels I have seen im quite impressed.
was this a solo project for you

thanks and nope,
I'm working on this project with another guy who's responsible for the pixel art,
and another friend of mine contributed the music.
the rest of it is done by me.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »

This reminds me of League of Evil (for mobiles) but with more extreme momentum like Super Meat Boy. I've never been a huge fan of that style of jumping, but the game plays all right. I did not actually plug in my controller for this, and I didn't find the keyboard too annoying incredibly to play with, although it's obviously not ideal.

I only played six levels because it's not really my type of game, but I do have some thoughts.

-The first four levels or so are really uninteresting. I realize they're probably meant as tutorial levels, but that doesn't mean they can't at least have lighters to collect in tricky locations or something. I also feel like once a player knows the controls and has seen that they have to control their momentum in the air, they don't need more levels teaching them the same thing. I guess it may depend on your target audience, though.

-I'm personally not a fan of locked challenge rooms that require playing through the main game. My reason? Sometimes I want a break from doing the normal levels and want to try a random challenge, whether or not I'm actually ready for it. To me, it's like if you made people play through a campaign to unlock a game's multiplayer mode. Unlockables aren't inherently bad, but stopping players from experiencing other modes is a bit annoying (at least to anyone like me). Even unlockable levels are a bit of a pain, since early levels are usually pretty boring and overly simplistic, but at least they're part of the same mode so having a linear progression makes some sense.

-I felt like the gore seemed a bit out of place. It's not that I hate gore in games, but just that it only shows up in one situation, so it just doesn't fit with the rest of the game in my mind.

-I really like the designs and animation. That character's got a surprising amount of personality in his face. Different objects/effects using different resolutions, though, doesn't look so good.

-It's small thing, but the lighter in-game doesn't match the look of the one on the level select screen.

-The delay between selecting a level and the actual game starting seems unnecessary. I like the idea of the character moving like that, but maybe the transition should start while he's moving, rather than when he gets off-screen. If there's no reason to make players wait (like loading), I'd think it's a good idea to just get to the gameplay quickly.

Even playing the more straight-forward levels at full-speed with no errors, I'm usually at least 0.25 seconds over. I've only beaten it on one level I've played, even though the first few are so straight-forward.

There's a part of me that thinks the goals should be a little more lenient, or there should be multiple levels of goal (medals?). Having goals require perfection means that many people may not get to feel any sense of accomplishment based on their times, and that's kinda discouraging. If the goal were a little easier to reach (maybe 0.5sec more time to complete levels), then they could feel they accomplished something and may still want to beat their own times after that.

What made that more discouraging was that when I actually did beat a time, it didn't look like it was recorded anywhere, and the time-to-beat for that level was still the old time.

It may seem like I'm just picking out negatives, but that's because they require more explanation and sharing thoughts about those things is more likely to help than pointing out what already works. I will say that the game handles quite well and mostly looks good. It also seems to run great, although I haven't played the more complex levels yet. It seems quite well-made. I was also happy to see an custom icon. A lot of Game Maker users seem to ignore that until later, but it's a nice touch that makes your game seem like you've put thought and care into its development.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
vulgarism.organism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »

This reminds me of League of Evil (for mobiles) but with more extreme momentum like Super Meat Boy. I've never been a huge fan of that style of jumping, but the game plays all right. I did not actually plug in my controller for this, and I didn't find the keyboard too annoying incredibly to play with, although it's obviously not ideal.

I only played six levels because it's not really my type of game, but I do have some thoughts.

-The first four levels or so are really uninteresting. I realize they're probably meant as tutorial levels, but that doesn't mean they can't at least have lighters to collect in tricky locations or something. I also feel like once a player knows the controls and has seen that they have to control their momentum in the air, they don't need more levels teaching them the same thing. I guess it may depend on your target audience, though.

-I'm personally not a fan of locked challenge rooms that require playing through the main game. My reason? Sometimes I want a break from doing the normal levels and want to try a random challenge, whether or not I'm actually ready for it. To me, it's like if you made people play through a campaign to unlock a game's multiplayer mode. Unlockables aren't inherently bad, but stopping players from experiencing other modes is a bit annoying (at least to anyone like me). Even unlockable levels are a bit of a pain, since early levels are usually pretty boring and overly simplistic, but at least they're part of the same mode so having a linear progression makes some sense.

-I felt like the gore seemed a bit out of place. It's not that I hate gore in games, but just that it only shows up in one situation, so it just doesn't fit with the rest of the game in my mind.

-I really like the designs and animation. That character's got a surprising amount of personality in his face. Different objects/effects using different resolutions, though, doesn't look so good.

-It's small thing, but the lighter in-game doesn't match the look of the one on the level select screen.

-The delay between selecting a level and the actual game starting seems unnecessary. I like the idea of the character moving like that, but maybe the transition should start while he's moving, rather than when he gets off-screen. If there's no reason to make players wait (like loading), I'd think it's a good idea to just get to the gameplay quickly.

Even playing the more straight-forward levels at full-speed with no errors, I'm usually at least 0.25 seconds over. I've only beaten it on one level I've played, even though the first few are so straight-forward.

There's a part of me that thinks the goals should be a little more lenient, or there should be multiple levels of goal (medals?). Having goals require perfection means that many people may not get to feel any sense of accomplishment based on their times, and that's kinda discouraging. If the goal were a little easier to reach (maybe 0.5sec more time to complete levels), then they could feel they accomplished something and may still want to beat their own times after that.

What made that more discouraging was that when I actually did beat a time, it didn't look like it was recorded anywhere, and the time-to-beat for that level was still the old time.

It may seem like I'm just picking out negatives, but that's because they require more explanation and sharing thoughts about those things is more likely to help than pointing out what already works. I will say that the game handles quite well and mostly looks good. It also seems to run great, although I haven't played the more complex levels yet. It seems quite well-made. I was also happy to see an custom icon. A lot of Game Maker users seem to ignore that until later, but it's a nice touch that makes your game seem like you've put thought and care into its development.

thanks for taking the time to play and share your thoughts,
and it's okay to point to the negatives, I want to hear that as well.
also, thanks for them positive words as well.
let me answer a few of the points you raised.

- just a reminder, a lot of what's in the game is still temp, and that includes locking the challenge rooms.
I haven't decided yet on what's the best way to go about it yet, for that reason I left the option to unlock them w/ F10 for now.

- "objects/effects using different resolutions, though, doesn't look so good."
could you be more specific, would like to hear.

- well actually, each lighter in the game looks different, I'm guessing you only came across the 1st one,
so, the one in the menu is meant to look different and simpler than the rest of 'em.

- when you beat a level's time, it is noted in the level select screen w/ a little flag besides the lvl icon.
and the time-to-beat doesn't change as it is a fixed par-time. but maybe I should re-consider that.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

- "objects/effects using different resolutions, though, doesn't look so good."
could you be more specific, would like to hear.

Essentially what I mean is that the pixels in the character and spikes/drills are half the size of the pixels used in the ground and explosion. They should really all be the same (except maybe in cases where the there's some story-related reason for the resolution difference).

- well actually, each lighter in the game looks different, I'm guessing you only came across the 1st one,
so, the one in the menu is meant to look different and simpler than the rest of 'em.

Ah. Makes sense.

- when you beat a level's time, it is noted in the level select screen w/ a little flag besides the lvl icon.
and the time-to-beat doesn't change as it is a fixed par-time. but maybe I should re-consider that.

I was expecting something like that, but there was nothing. I think I went back to the menu really quickly, so maybe the save got cancelled or something?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
CypherCove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »

I unfortunately couldn't use my non-360 gamepad because I wasn't sure how to customize it, so my comments might not be helpful.

The jump mechanics felt really good and reminded me of Super Meat Boy, but something was odd about wall jumping. Something with the timing of having to push against the wall but immediately push the other way once you jump so as not to slow down and fall straight down into spikes. I tried the first level with a lighter pickup about 20 times before giving up because I couldn't get it.

I don't know if its because your wall jumping mechanic works differently than other games, or just because my muscle memory isn't working since I was using a keyboard.

Regarding the graphics: they look very slick. A couple things I think could be improved. It looks odd for the exit doors to not have any wall around them...like they are floating in the sky and would lead nowhere. And there is something very abrupt about the transition from jumping in front of the door to him walking into it.
vulgarism.organism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 02:10:05 AM »

I unfortunately couldn't use my non-360 gamepad because I wasn't sure how to customize it, so my comments might not be helpful.

The jump mechanics felt really good and reminded me of Super Meat Boy, but something was odd about wall jumping. Something with the timing of having to push against the wall but immediately push the other way once you jump so as not to slow down and fall straight down into spikes. I tried the first level with a lighter pickup about 20 times before giving up because I couldn't get it.

I don't know if its because your wall jumping mechanic works differently than other games, or just because my muscle memory isn't working since I was using a keyboard.

Regarding the graphics: they look very slick. A couple things I think could be improved. It looks odd for the exit doors to not have any wall around them...like they are floating in the sky and would lead nowhere. And there is something very abrupt about the transition from jumping in front of the door to him walking into it.

hey, thanks for the feedback,
and about the wall jump mechanics, you don't have to push direction+jump to wall jump,
you can just push the jump button without a direction while sticking to a wall,
kinda like the mario way of doing a wall jump. give it a shot, see if it's better for you this way.
CypherCove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »

Download link is down, and I had already deleted it.
vulgarism.organism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »

Download link is down, and I had already deleted it.

yeah, I took it down,
if you want, send me a private message w/ your email address,
and I'll send it to you. I just don't want it up there no more.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic