Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:19:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411822 times)
nikkoguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 15, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »

dang I've never even considered thinking about the game feel of... pressing new save?Huh?? wha-

the level of polish here is nuts, i cant wait to play it!!
linebyline
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 19, 2019, 07:16:51 AM »

That looks...impactful, if you'll forgive the pun.

My only concern is that, if each of those punches corresponds to a button press, some players will be confused and think something went wrong when the game doesn't start up after their first attempt. I'd recommend making it all one animation of the Leilani fist punching the new file block over and over until it finally shatters and the game starts up. If that's what you're already doing, then you'll probably want to shorten the pauses between punches, because they definitely give me the vibe that the game is waiting for player input.

That aside, I love the aesthetic of Leilani breaking a block to start a new file. It's a fantastic idea, and one I never would have thought of.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: November 19, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »

I love it.
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1023 on: November 19, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

Punch anim is  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 20, 2019, 01:22:41 AM »

Not to mention quite literally Waaagh!Hand Shake Right

EDIT: if you want to go nuts with easter eggs, hold A to charge up a more powerful punch? Well, hello there! Although I guess that does not fit the in-game mechanics
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: November 22, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the checkpoint itself indicate somehow that it can be interacted with again once you pick up another chip, though. If it's doing that now, it's subtle enough that I missed it.

I forgot to address this before. It's a good idea, probably the easiest thing would be to have the pinwheel stop spinning if the checkpoint can be re-triggered, and it'll go back to spinning when Leilani touches it. I've made a note, thanks!

My only concern is that, if each of those punches corresponds to a button press, some players will be confused and think something went wrong when the game doesn't start up after their first attempt. I'd recommend making it all one animation of the Leilani fist punching the new file block over and over until it finally shatters and the game starts up.

That's a fair concern, but I do like the playfulness and interactivity involved in pressing the button multiple times. I'll keep it in mind and see if I get any comments about it in future playtesting. Once I add audio for the cracking and breaking that'll also hopefully ensure the player is aware of what's happening.

EDIT: if you want to go nuts with easter eggs, hold A to charge up a more powerful punch? Well, hello there! Although I guess that does not fit the in-game mechanics

I think that may be a step too far for this one Grin it would probably start to get in the way of the general usability of the UI. Maybe instead I can put more easter eggs and little fun features into other parts of the UI Smiley

Latest progress

A quick update this week as I didn't get a huge amount done.

Scrolling Menus

A couple of the menus have now got big enough to require scrolling. I was trying for a while to fit each each menu on a single screen, to avoid implementing scrolling, but it became impractical as I was having to unnecessarily nest options within subscreens which was just a pain to navigate. Now the menu scrolls instead which is much simpler to use:

Challenge Description popup

The popup that describes each challenge level has had a little layout tweak. It was feeling quite cramped - the thumbnail image was too small to show much, and if the description text went onto two lines it didn't really fit any more.

The new version has a bigger thumbnail with the description overlaid, which I think looks nicer, and also allows much more room for descriptions.

(Obviously putting a non-placeholder thumbnail also helps it look better!)

The line width which is used for wrapping the description text is now dynamically selected within a range. The system aims to balance out the length of the lines, so if the description is split over two lines, then those two lines will be of roughly equal width. This fixes the example above where "can!" was given a whole line on its own.

That's about it for the week. I've begun working on the rainy mountain level again, which I previously stopped to do all the UI polish. Hoping to get it finished this week!

matriax
« Reply #1026 on: November 23, 2019, 12:36:32 AM »

Loving the work on the menus, specially the "New Game" one, but you will need to click 3 times on the slot?
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 23, 2019, 02:17:44 AM »

Dude, I have a masters degree in Interaction Design and this is basically NSFW Kiss
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1028 on: November 23, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »

Loving the work on the menus, specially the "New Game" one, but you will need to click 3 times on the slot?

Yeah that's the idea, but just when it's a blank file - not when continuing existing files.

Dude, I have a masters degree in Interaction Design and this is basically NSFW Kiss

Judging by the heart eyes I'm hoping NSFW menus are a good thing Grin your degree sounds really interesting!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 24, 2019, 04:01:43 AM »

Well, let's see...

- clearly organized tree structure
- just the right amount of skeuomorphism to give the interface character
- icons that further explain the functionality of the text
- little details like an F11 key to give extra hints
- keyboard hints on the bottom right

This is really well polished interface
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: November 25, 2019, 12:01:58 PM »

TIL a new word: skeuomorphism  Gomez Gomez
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: November 28, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »

Keeping my eye on this game. Good job.
TwoSaint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 28, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »

this is very cool i loved that you wrote it from low level Did you experience any extreme challanges from that?
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1033 on: December 01, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »

this is very cool i loved that you wrote it from low level Did you experience any extreme challanges from that?

Thanks! I don't think any one part of the game / engine presented any extreme challenges. For the most part I've purposely kept things simple (no threads, no shaders) and just stuck to tools and technologies that I already know how to use (SDL, FMOD, OpenGL etc). So I've been able to avoid any technical difficulties that I don't know how to overcome. The main challenge is just the sheer time it takes to make a game and engine at the same time!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1034 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:13 PM »

Lava/Poison/Air Waterfall visuals

After recently improving the look of waterfalls for the waterfall-based level, this week I've been working on visual improvements for the poison and lava versions of them - as well as the upwards air stream which uses the same code.

Old visuals
Here are a couple of gifs showing how the poison, lava and air falls were just re-colours of the original waterfall graphics.

New visuals
Waterfalls were improved with a nicer animation, and bright-coloured edges that help to highlight the waterfall as being a foreground, interactable thing.

The others are now updated to be visually distinct from the waterfalls:

Poison is brighter and more gloopy, lava has a kind of shimmery effect to make it more fiery, and wind is wavy and transparent!

I was struggling to find a colour for the wind that looked good on all backgrounds - and I didn't want to resort to using transparency which I don't use too often. My solution was to specify a colour tint for the wind sprites on a per-level basis. Since not many levels will use the wind, it'll be easy enough to choose suitable colours for each level. For example, for this challenge level, I've tried making the wind purple. I think this prevents the large scrolling pattern from being too eye-straining.

Finally here's a showcase of all the different liquid types in suitable environments!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 09, 2019, 04:56:36 AM »

So... much... polish! Waaagh!

Thank you so much for making the distinction between the different liquids include different textures and animation! This helps accessibility so much (besides, even people without color vision deficiencies should have an easier time playing the game)

Also, I could hear a disappointed, deflated "quack" as that duck smashed into a wall in the water level. So good
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 11, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »

I'll post here with my new account to keep being updated  Smiley
Looking forward to this game a lot Coffee
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 11, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

yyyeEEssSSSs

mindless
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 16, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »

The new lava and water look great, but I’m loving that goopy poison! The wind looks good coming out of the pipes, but something about the big patches of purple wind seems off. I’m sure it will be fine for gameplay, but I guess the purple looks odd for wind/steam? Would a neutral gray, like in the pipe image, really be that distracting?

Hoping we get a demo or something soon - I really want to play this game!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 16, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »

The new lava and water look great, but I’m loving that goopy poison! The wind looks good coming out of the pipes, but something about the big patches of purple wind seems off. I’m sure it will be fine for gameplay, but I guess the purple looks odd for wind/steam? Would a neutral gray, like in the pipe image, really be that distracting?

Hoping we get a demo or something soon - I really want to play this game!
Maybe the issue is that the purple is too dark? I think we associate steam and fog with either white or near-white colors. Darker colors feel more "solid"
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic