Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:07:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 400857 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

how about RAINBOW shiny sparkly effects?  Wink

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »

I personally like the cycling colors in the rainbow. Did you consider trying to recolor the black outline, too? When I do animations or states that make the player character a bright color I usually make the black outlines lighten up too, to a dark color. I think it gives it that extra little pop to make the state or animation feel even more special.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »

I agree with the lightening the outline idea, and maybe make the trail behind her into colored puffs- each puff a different color from the rainbow.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »

You know, maybe it was the black outline that was throwing me off. I kept looking at it and thinking how it would look flashing pink or yellow or something bright. I'll still hold out to see how much the sparkles improve it though

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback! I might not work on the invincibility for a while - it's probably been over a year since I last touched it - but I'll come look at your comments again when I do get round to it.

PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »

Aloha!

Feels like it will work really well. And that will open the possibility to have the battery-explode worth more than mere disable from the ground, too, like in SMB/SML platformers.

Just thought that it could work well to have the machine collapsing in addition to exploding.

Btw, what an improvement in character design compared to Johnny Biscuit Romp Wink

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »

Just thought that it could work well to have the machine collapsing in addition to exploding.

Btw, what an improvement in character design compared to Johnny Biscuit Romp Wink

Yeah it might feel good to destroy the whole thing - I'll consider that when I next make improvements to it. I at least want to have bits of metal flying off!

Happy that someone remembers Johnny Platform! Me and a couple of friends made the first version of that in about a week, so it didn't have as much time put into it as Leilani Smiley

Fruits

I've continued working on adding some interactive fruits to the game!

The coconut was previously in the game, but it had some bespoke code that was totally out of date. I've now ripped most of that code out, and the various fruits are now actually just enemies that don't move around. It's much better to reuse all of the enemy code, as it means all the interactive things in the game will behave more consistently.

Later on in the game I'll have metal bombs that also behave in the same way. I want the player to have plenty of chance to mess around with relatively harmless objects like these so they will be able to make good use of objects like bombs later.

So whilst working on these, I've made some good improvements to the enemies and enemy interactions.

- Entities now have a weight class. The watermelon is heavy, which alters how it interacts with other objects - for example it smashes through small blocks without stopping.
- I've simplified the collision code that decides whether Leilani is hitting the top or the side of an object. This code has had various revisions but I think it was pretty overcomplicated.
- Made improvements to general collision responses between enemies and Leilani. It all gets a bit fiddly when the enemies are bouncing around in tight spaces, so I'll continue to improve them over time. Collisions between two enemies also need a lot of work - at the moment, sometimes they will end up sitting inside each other, and sometimes they'll ricochet off each other like crazy.
- Made improvements to the screen shake system to support a continuous shaking when heavy objects roll.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

It'll be interesting to see what puzzles you make with that. The background vegetation movement is nicely done, not too distracting.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »

Aaa that looks so fun and welldone! Great job!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »

Indeed, looks like it's pretty fun to play already. Nice artwork on the fruit, as well.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2015, 12:03:05 AM »

I dont really know what makes me think this, but Im getting a bit of a DrillDozer vibe here. I love that each different object effects blocks differently, and I can see those being used in really neat ways later on, like some of those little block puzzles you'd find in Mario Bros 3. Have three different kinds of projectile makes the possibilities even further though!
Also is that a lime, or some other kind of food?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2015, 01:40:49 AM »

Thanks all!

I dont really know what makes me think this, but Im getting a bit of a DrillDozer vibe here. I love that each different object effects blocks differently, and I can see those being used in really neat ways later on, like some of those little block puzzles you'd find in Mario Bros 3. Have three different kinds of projectile makes the possibilities even further though!
Also is that a lime, or some other kind of food?

Yeah I'm aiming to make some fun little situations with these - little quick challenges where you can get a reward or secret if you use the available objects to your advantage.

It's a big lime Smiley I might add more variety of fruits just for fun, although I'm wary of confusing things by adding fruits that look different but behave the same.

i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »

I am posting to subscribe.

This looks cool.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »

Starting to get a serious Wario Land vibe from this ^^ Always looking forward to your devlogs

DocGeraud
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:28 AM »

Your devlog is amazing, such as your game !
I really love that you dive so deeply in the details and reflexions of your game mechanics.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »

Thanks i.i, 7Soul and DocGeraud!

This week I've done some refactoring to keep the code tidy. I split a lot of non-Leilani-specific code into a separate library, so I can reuse it for other things if I want, and it provides a natural barrier to stop the code getting all tangled (Leilani can rely on library code, but not the other way around).

I've also done a number of small tweaks and fixes, so made a little montage of those.

- Can collect shells by kicking enemies into them.
- Round objects slide off the edge of ledges, rather than staying right on the edge.
- Can collect shells by rolling enemies into them.
- Rolling objects interact with powerups - the flower gets knocked back into the air.
- Heavy enemies hurt leilani and crush other enemies!

Super Mario Maker came out this week. I haven't had a lot of time with it, but I'm looking forward to playing it more. I think it'll be good inspiration for how to approach level design for Leilani!

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »

Man, this looks amazing, love the palette, love the physics and controls (it seems pretty comfortable to me), good job!

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
chariospirale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »

wow, the game look really enjoyable ! great feedback ! all the animations are really smooth. great job.

PRDXCL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »

HOT
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

just stopping by to say this is looking nicer and nicer. sorry i don't have any real feedback Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic