Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:35:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411771 times)
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »

I am ashamed that I haven't replied to subscribe before now. Shameful, considering I've been watching it from the off. So nice! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »

Every time you post a gif, I get excited to play again, the physics and all of these interacting objects and items look so fun to play around with! Keep up the good work!

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »

I love all the object interaction! Objects bouncing into each other and off each other, rolling stuff into other stuff. Looks like it'll be ripe for emergent smiles!

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »

this game keeps looking better and better, not gonna lie it's a huge inspiration right now. keep rockin!

Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »

The pixel work looks absolutely gorgeous, even better in motion, why the widescreen-ish resolution, tho?
400x240 is a bit odd.

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

The pixel work looks absolutely gorgeous, even better in motion, why the widescreen-ish resolution, tho?
400x240 is a bit odd.

I don't mind it, Shovel Knight used that res with great success.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

Yeah, widescreen makes perfect sense for a sidescroller?

Looking better with each update and it already looked super cool from the start.

Have you thought about bosses?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Jon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »

This is just sooo good! Gives me warm fuzzy feelings remembering 2D platformers of yesteryear. I can't wait to see more.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »

Ooh thanks everyone for the nice comments! Smiley

400x240 is a bit odd.

I don't mind it, Shovel Knight used that res with great success.

The game originally started off at Gameboy res (160x144) but I changed it to widescreen pretty quickly - it does work better for the gameplay, especially the rolling mechanic since that is biased towards sideways movement.

And yeah, it's the same resolution as Shovel Knight and the 3DS Smiley

It's not exactly 16:9, but the game tends to have black borders anyway as it only scales up in multiples of the original resolution. So on a 1920x1080 monitor the game is 1600x960. That's not final behaviour but it's how it currently works.

Have you thought about bosses?

Yeah I've thought about them but no concrete plans yet. I want to totally finalise the core gameplay and skills first, and then tailor the bosses towards them.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »

I read somewhere, that Shovel Knight uses that resolution, too, but 400x240 is not 16:9. It's 5:3 (25:15 16x16 tiles). And one pixel is 4.5 px high on a HD screen (1920:1080). Mathematically it's 4.8 px wide. How does this work? Are the pixels rectangular? Are there any black borders? Or is a part of the game screen cropped?
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »

I read somewhere, that Shovel Knight uses that resolution, too, but 400x240 is not 16:9. It's 5:3 (25:15 16x16 tiles). And one pixel is 4.5 px high on a HD screen (1920:1080). Mathematically it's 4.8 px wide. How does this work? Are the pixels rectangular? Are there any black borders? Or is a part of the game screen cropped?

I don't know what Shovel Knight does (haven't played it on PC). As for how Leilani handles it, see my previous post Smiley

---

It's about time for my weekly update! There's not too much to show this week - I've only had time for some small tweaks. One of those tweaks is that when Leilani is big she can now roll into two blocks at once, which feels pretty satisfying and gives you a good feeling of increased power compared to small Leilani!

There will be added effects when big Leilani is rolling which will indicate the slightly extended area of impact.

SVN Server

My weekend has mainly been devoted to setting up this - it's a local SVN server running on a Raspberry Pi. It'll be really useful for managing my work on Leilani and will let me switch between my laptop and desktop more easily without the tedious zip + dropbox process.

I've barely used Linux before, so it was quite a learning experience!

My plan this week is to continue with various tweaks and to start getting back into level design. I'll be busy at work but will try my best to keep making progress!

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »

I adore this game

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »

I adore this game

ALLLLL the yes'es.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »

Wooah that's fantastic, thank you! Coffee I'm working overtime right now and that really made my day Smiley

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »

Stalked you on Twitter a bit a while ago then found this devlog... game looked really good. Very Super Mario World in a way (in a good way...) Most of all it looks like a lot of fun!
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »

I adore this game

This is incredible and so is this game

You've got game feel down to a science with this one, Ishi.
KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »

I adore this game

Seeing this is making me even more hyped for this game!

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »

Hello all Smiley

Obstacle Course!

This week I put together an obstacle course level using my test environment graphics. It's a linear course that tests your ability to do various rolls and jumps. I don't think something like this would end up in the final game, but I want to get more people testing the game out (in person for now) and this is something they can have a go at. The collectable shells are a kind of high-score for the level, which is the role the will probably play in normal levels too.

I also added a new feature to my debug view - a Mario Maker-inspired trail! Sometimes it's handy to see the exact path that Leilani moves along, for placing trails of shells or seeing what kinds of jumps are possible.

For next week I'm working on checkpoints and animations / transitions for dying and restarting. Thanks for reading Smiley

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

I want to get more people testing the game out (in person for now)

I was about to ask. </3

Anyway, I love this project, the controls and gameplay are pretty spot on. I don't know if this has been asked, but will there be controller support?
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »

The collectable shells are a kind of high-score for the level, which is the role the will probably play in normal levels too.
That and subtly guiding the player to take certain paths / jumps? (COUGH DONKEY KONG COUGH COUGH)

Looks great, as usual!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic