Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:27:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411418 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »

Loving everything about this project. Simply fantastic.

On a note: I don't really think you need to worry too much about button overlays for other gamepads. As far as I know, most people use Xbox 360 controllers on their PC, and those that don't have a controller with the same button layout. All games I've played on PC either use keyboard overlay or xbox, so I'd say you're safe with either one of those.

Thank you. Smiley

I still like the idea of indicating non-xbox joypad support to the player - the PC has so many options that I prefer to be clear to the player about how they can interact with the game. It's not a lot of work on top of what is/will be already done for keyboard support.

Hey, this looks neat--also, you should have a lava/volcano level please. Okay, thank you. That is all.

Thanks! Don't worry, the game will definitely feature a volcano level. The clue is on the title screen Smiley

The tube mechanic looks really cool, but I find it a little strange that the enemy keeps rolling after hitting the block. I think it would be more satisfying if it would be 'defeated' after that, bouncing off the screen.

Yeah I thought about that when I made the gif - I think the enemy should be either be squashed against the ceiling to be match what happens when rolling into walls, or at least be stunned and fall back down. It doesn't make much sense that it would keep rolling. Cheers.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »

I wanna point out that the tubes don't read much as tubes to me by the vertical openings, and also that it's bothering me that duckie goes behind the opening rather than in it, but I guess that's temporary, haha.

Looking so great otherwise though keep going!

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »

Will levels be "linear" like in most platformers? Or will you go the same method of the Mario games were there's a top-down map with points that are the levels that you can go to?

Personally Im more a fan of that approach as it could open up all sorts of ideas for secret areas, levels & bosses.

Beta Coming Soon!
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »

I absolutely love the art Smiley

The tube mechanics are stellar, and the game looks fluid and fun! I really can't wait to play it.

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
Bubel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 06:14:37 AM »

It`s sad that you ditched grown up sprite version, the tubby girl remind Adventure Island sprite a lot No No NO
Maybe she could grow into that big state like Mario do? Well, hello there!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

I wanna point out that the tubes don't read much as tubes to me by the vertical openings, and also that it's bothering me that duckie goes behind the opening rather than in it, but I guess that's temporary, haha.

I'll work on the way the tubes look! And yeah I need to fix the draw order so the enemies go inside the tubes properly. It works ok for Leilani already.

Will levels be "linear" like in most platformers? Or will you go the same method of the Mario games were there's a top-down map with points that are the levels that you can go to?

Personally Im more a fan of that approach as it could open up all sorts of ideas for secret areas, levels & bosses.

I'm hoping to do a proper map screen, as I think it adds so much to the game. I'm being realistic about what I can achieve and for now I'm not aiming to make a huge sprawling game like Mario World - but would still like to make use of a map screen with some sort of choice of routes. It all depends on what ideas I come up with at the time and how the level design goes once I really get stuck into that.

The map is probably the main thing I can leave out of the one-level demo I'm aiming for so it'll probably come later.

It`s sad that you ditched grown up sprite version, the tubby girl remind Adventure Island sprite a lot No No NO
Maybe she could grow into that big state like Mario do? Well, hello there!

She already has two sizes and one is already grown up. Smiley Leilani may not take kindly to being called tubby though.

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 07:37:05 AM »

Setting and character are colorful and fun. 

Following.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »

Hello!

Just a quick update this week as I've had a really busy weekend.

This week I made some more progress on the UI system and frontend. Didn't get quite as far as I wanted with it, but I'm happy with the overall direction. Here's a work-in-progress version of the File Select screen:

I'm itching to get back to gameplay stuff now so will work on that this week! I think I'll work on the end-of-level gameplay and some other related stuff, so hopefully will be writing about that next weekend. Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »

Aloha!

I've got another busy weekend coming up so I'm posting a bit earlier than usual. Development has been a little slower than I'd like recently, but still keeping things moving at least.

New this week is.. ugh, who put that here?

Machines

The goal in each level is to destroy one of these machines! Someone has built them all over the island, along with other metal contraptions and defences. Whatever they're for, they don't look like they're doing Leilani's island much good.

The end-of-level machine towers are modular so I can construct them out of different bits, some of which are more than just passive blocks. Each tower will have a couple of weak spots, with some sort of bonus for destroying the higher one, which is harder to reach. (The higher weak point in the image above is actually impossible to reach.. it's just a test level. Wink )

So once again it's inspired by Mario (the flag post) but with a little twist, and of course you have to roll into it to destroy it. The explosive effects should be a good punctuation mark for each level.

CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 12:53:16 AM »

Looks pretty good. The art style, smooth animations and game mechanics look really solid. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »

Hiya!

Time for this week's update.

Collisions

I spent part of the week making improvements to the way that objects collide with each other.

Normally when colliding with two objects at the same time, both objects register the collision. This allows you to hit two blocks at once.

But this was annoying when trying to utilise this multi-direction block, which bumps all neighbouring blocks when hit. Since Leilani already hit the neighbouring block, the multi-direction block can't chain the bumps sideways through to the other blocks.

The new feature is that objects can have a priority value for the collision. In this case the multi-direction block has a higher priority, so when Leilani hits it, other collisions in the same frame are ignored.

I can now use this system to tweak another couple of collision situations to make them behave in a nicer way.

Also while I'm talking about collisions, here's another feature borrowed from Mario, that I call soft collision. When colliding with the very edge of something, Leilani is shifted sideway slightly rather than treating it as a ceiling collision which would look awkward. This really helps the player out when jumping through tight gaps.

Cannons

Here's another example of the mysterious machines that someone has built on the island. Well actually, these ones aren't so mysterious. They're cannons.

(I tend to keep the gameplay camera static during gifs just to reduce filesize).

Break

I'm taking a break from development for a couple of weeks, so apologies for the lack of updates in the coming weeks.

Take it easy! Beer!

Join Indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

Really nice job with the animation. It pairs well with chaining item blocks and killing enemies shown before. Reminds me of Sonic and DK, but the look is closer to Bonk's Adventure. I really like the limited color palette that was chosen per sprite and tile.

Watch videos of new indie games, updated daily. Promote your game on http://www.joinindies.com
Fayer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »

As everybody's said I would love to play this on a GameBoy, it looks amazing. Why did you chose to use that framework over other more "common"?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 05:04:30 AM »

Why did you chose to use that framework over other more "common"?

A few years ago I was going to Midlands Indies meetups and met Mattias who made the Pixie framework. I was mainly using XNA/C# at the time so liked the idea of going back to C++ using something really light, with limitations (limited transparency* effects, no sprite scaling or rotation) that would force me to keep things simple. I used it for a few Ludum Dare entries, so when I started making Leilani the quickest way to get going was to use one of those LD games as a starting point.

(*in Leilani I'm not actually using any transparency effects, but that's just a stylistic choice).

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 05:31:37 AM »

Such a great world you've built! I love it! Platforming looks really nice and tight too
Fayer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »

Why did you chose to use that framework over other more "common"?

A few years ago I was going to Midlands Indies meetups and met Mattias who made the Pixie framework. I was mainly using XNA/C# at the time so liked the idea of going back to C++ using something really light, with limitations (limited transparency* effects, no sprite scaling or rotation) that would force me to keep things simple. I used it for a few Ludum Dare entries, so when I started making Leilani the quickest way to get going was to use one of those LD games as a starting point.

(*in Leilani I'm not actually using any transparency effects, but that's just a stylistic choice).

Interesting, thanks for the answer. The game looks amazing, keep up the good work.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »

Yeah, great art, this looks really great so far. Nice, bright, colorful game! It's inspiring to see a platformer with so much detail, and one that's just aiming to be a solid platformer instead of "trying anything crazy". Although, maybe you have a gimmick planned, and if so, that could be also be a lot of fun. I saw the fire power is kinda like a whole transformation apart from a single attack, kind of like Kirby's. Seems like there's a lot of gameplay power in that transformation!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:47:14 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

Lots of cool things going on here.
I'm interested in seeing what you can do with the blocks and enemies that can interact with the blocks.
The rolling and kicking seem pretty cool too

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 02:58:41 AM »

Animation are Super B, Graphic are Super B..New improvement mario Mechanic looks Super B... but there is one thing that I dont personally like.. Is that game mechanics are too mario like and there are tons of mario games already... I would like to see new mechanics that arent tied to one wonder gimmick like other  Indie platformer games...This just me so dont take this as fact... and keep u hard work..
Pitxardo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 03:05:01 AM »

Love this project!

Love the art, love the animations, love the gameplay... love the magic of this game!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic