Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:26:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411475 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2017, 05:35:36 AM »

Oh wow, you can just see from the gifs that the platform controls are solid Kiss
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: January 31, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »

I like the sound of more dangerous and challenging things!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »

Busy working on bits and bobs of gameplay, focused on various things including  Sorry I didn't do a proper devlog at the weekend! Here's a quick screenshot.

If do enjoy making huge versions of existing things!

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »

now make it even bigger  Cheesy

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:58 AM »

I feel like it needs an angry face.

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »

WANT
TO
PLAY!

On a side note, though... I do find the cannons and rockets in your screenshot kind of lose themselves in the colours of the platforms.. Or.. maybe the platforms stand out too much? Anyway, the use of the same colours seems like it might make it harder to tell whats going to kill you at a glance.

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

Yeah I had a listen to the 3 she has up right now. Seems like it's going to be good as expected of Woofle!

Yep, just did the same. Really dig the chill sound.. God I want to play this game!

-Louard
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »

Would it be possible to check out your source code?  Who, Me?
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: February 08, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »

Was just watching your video of the end sequence with sounds.
Ok, first of all, if I nitpick it's out of adoration!

I find a couple of her sounds, the jump and roll (especially the roll) too low for her cuteness. I would imagine them being a little higher pitched.

-Louard
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »

On a side note, though... I do find the cannons and rockets in your screenshot kind of lose themselves in the colours of the platforms.. Or.. maybe the platforms stand out too much? Anyway, the use of the same colours seems like it might make it harder to tell whats going to kill you at a glance.

That's a fair point, I might be being a bit heavy handed with giving the robot enemies & scenery such a limited colour scheme! I should be able to tie them together thematically but make the interactive stuff stand out a bit better.

I find a couple of her sounds, the jump and roll (especially the roll) too low for her cuteness. I would imagine them being a little higher pitched.

Nitpicking is good Smiley She's meant to be tough and grumpy (and a bit cute), and her jump is pretty limited (only 3 blocks) so I feel like a lower sound is suitable there. But all the sound is placeholder anyway so I might end up with something totally different! Thanks for the feedback.

Would it be possible to check out your source code?  Who, Me?

No sorry, but I'm happy to discuss how I implemented certain things if there's any part of the game you have technical questions about.

I feel like it needs an angry face.

I was trying to avoid copying Mario World's huge bullet bill too closely. But would like to give it some kind of additional personality for sure.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2017, 04:39:07 AM »

Leilani is 3 years old!

I started work on the game three years ago today. To celebrate I found a very old gif, it shows how far the game has come!

In terms of my current progress the month is going a bit slower than I'd like, mainly because work has been pretty busy. I need to make a definite list of what I'd like to achieve, and try to make the most of the rest of the month.

Here's a sneak peek of one thing I've been working on...

And finally RetroManiac wrote a great article about the game, in Spanish!

http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/joyas-ocultas-leilanis-island-un-mas.html

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: February 11, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »

Leilani looks much better with those few extra pounds.

Are you working on it fulltime?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: February 11, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »

Leilani looks much better with those few extra pounds.

Are you working on it fulltime?

Yeah I'm much happier with shorter, stockier Leilani, thanks! Big feet is good too!

I have a full time job so Leilani is just a free-time project.

Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Your improvement in pixel art really shows! So much charm in this title.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »

Aloha!

After a fairly unproductive week I've finally been able to sit down and make a bit of progress.

Boomerang Enemy - Update

I've added proper artwork for the boomerang enemy (last seen here). I've also improved its behaviour a little.

I wanted to make sure they are a significant threat, so now when they see Leilani they throw the boomerang sooner. They can also randomly choose to throw the boomerang high or low, so you have to watch carefully and react quickly - you can't rely on always rolling underneath the boomerang. However the boomerang's path is easier to predict now (most of the path is straight lines).

The detachable helmet is also new, this gives Leilani the option of defeating it by bouncing on its head a few times! This can be tricky though as Leilani can be rebounded off the top of the enemy at an awkward angle. This is inspired by the Chargin' Chucks in Super Mario World - which Mario could kill by jumping on them repeatedly.

I've also been inspired by the Chargin' Chucks to make some varieties of these enemies that can do different things! One example that I mentioned before is one that would throw bouncing spanners rather than boomerang-style projectiles. I like the idea of being able to add a good amount of enemy variety without having to develop brand new artwork for each one. Smiley

So I have put together the final artwork for this boomerang enemy with this in mind. The sprite is modular so I can easily add new bits.

The helmet and projectile are separate, so it's really easy to add new helmets and projectile types later on.

In terms of the sprite itself, here are the various iterations of its design.

With the final iteration I aimed to simplify it a little further (to make it more in keeping with the general art style of the game), and make it a bit less of a koopa/bowser ripoff. The new helmet is meant to evoke a bit of a hard hat vibe; these robots are general grunts that are responsible for helping construct the battery towers and buildings on the island. The cross on the chest is more obvious as suggested by people earlier in the devlog. I used the helmet to cover half of the robot's eye to make it look a bit more grumpy - but I like that it looks kinda goofy once it loses the helmet.

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »

I've not logged in for a while, great to see this project is still in development.

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »

In terms of the sprite itself, here are the various iterations of its design.

I feel like you could recycle some of those older takes into other types of enemies. I especially like the second iteration there.

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »

Looking great as usual!

I think dropping the rim of the helmet over the eye was a great call from a functional perspective as well as losing the helmet not changes, not only the silhouette of the top of the head but the look of the face as well.

-Louard
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: March 27, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »

The diversity of items, characters and events in the game really gets impressive. I'm curious to know how you're coding all this. Is it a click-and-play like game maker ? scripting for a closed-source game engine ? native code even for game events ?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »

Nice to see you're still going. Smiley Keep it up!  Wizard

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic