Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:48:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411639 times)
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: September 15, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

The Buzz looks fantastic, man! And the booster anim is very convincing.

As for why I brought up making the power-up plants on the world map limited in some way was basically in response to someone wondering why you would need more that one copy of each plant as the player could always backtrack to where the plant was.

As I think about it more, though, I would probably be more of the mind that you should simply have shops which sell all the as-of-yet discovered power-ups and to have enough of these shops to discourage tedious backtracking to find one. IMO

Oh.. and while I'm shitting on one of my most favouritest projects to follow... I think it's time... I think you know what I mean... i think it's time to change the design of the weird ducky animals to little robots to fit the theme of the game... I'm sorry, man... It had to be said.

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 15, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

(I) think it's time to change the design of the weird ducky animals to little robots to fit the theme of the game... I'm sorry, man... It had to be said.
But the duckies are supposed to be one of the island denizens, methinks. They aren't supposed to be robots.

Maybe they could do with a little more detail, but personally they've always fit just fine for me.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »

mackas are perfect and pure pls keep intact

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »

Just jumping in to say I've been following the development of this game on twitter before signing up here, and it's looking really amazing!  Truly inspiring to see the amount of craftsmanship going into the game.

Indie developer, especially interested in physics of the human body, currently working on untitled gymnastics/acrobatics game.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2017, 12:33:01 AM »

The ducks are my favorite enemies! Keep them! I like their simplicity as they are. I could see there being robot variations of them or other versions but those shouldn't replace the original imo.

This came to mind... hah

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »

Thanks all!! Really brought a smile to my face seeing a discussion about my poor little macas Smiley They do represent the island's wildlife, along with other things like crabs, spiders, bats, and the big spiky snail shells. It's very hypocritical for Leilani to beat up the animals that live on the island she's meant to be protecting, but that's just her grumpy nature. Personally I'm very attached to them as the first enemy that I added to the game.

I made a fun gif because I don't have much else to show this week:

I have been working on stuff; I've done a first pass on a new level (which I'm not showing), and have also been chipping away at adding Leilani's idle animations. You can spot one of Bubble Leilani's anims in the gif above.

Kyatt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: September 17, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »

I like how near the end of that gif, one of those upside down ducks is just batting one of the balls around like a kitten playing with yarn.

Fist's Elimination Tower, available now on Steam and itch.io - LOOK OUT FOR FISTS!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: September 17, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »

I stared at that gif long enough to notice that the smoke from the thrusters is drawn behind the palm leaves

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »

I stared at that gif long enough to notice that the smoke from the thrusters is drawn behind the palm leaves

Thanks, fixed! I had noticed it but hadn't got round to sorting it out yet. It can be really motivating when someone else points out a niggly bug like that Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »

Hah, I know what you mean:

"Ah, nobody will notice for now"

"Curses..."
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: September 22, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »

About the thruster smoke. Am I correct in assuming it's made up of a particle effect which is, essentially duplicated behind to create the outline?

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »

About the thruster smoke. Am I correct in assuming it's made up of a particle effect which is, essentially duplicated behind to create the outline?
Not sure if the scale transform would make that look clean. If I had to guess, he's using a combination of of animations and masking. He would have an animation that essentially utilizes two circles: the top one and the bottom one that is a pixel larger. Those two circles would then be used as masks on a gray layer and a black layer respectively to give that smooth combined effect.

But I'm just guessing. Would be interesting to know.
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: September 22, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »

I made a fun gif because I don't have much else to show this week:

The first game maker software I've ever used had a quote on its box claiming "it's as fun to make them as it is to play them". This is the very illustration the quote needed ^_^

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: September 23, 2017, 02:42:56 AM »

Not sure if the scale transform would make that look clean. If I had to guess, he's using a combination of of animations and masking. He would have an animation that essentially utilizes two circles: the top one and the bottom one that is a pixel larger. Those two circles would then be used as masks on a gray layer and a black layer respectively to give that smooth combined effect.

It's similar to that but no masking, the front particle sprite is an animated grey circle and the back one is an animated dark grey circle, 1 pixel bigger. All of the back sprites are drawn first, no need for a mask because they're just a solid colour anyway. Then the front sprites are all drawn on top after. Basically the same method that I use for the black outlines around scenery tiles.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

It's similar to that but no masking, the front particle sprite is an animated grey circle and the back one is an animated dark grey circle, 1 pixel bigger. All of the back sprites are drawn first, no need for a mask because they're just a solid colour anyway. Then the front sprites are all drawn on top after. Basically the same method that I use for the black outlines around scenery tiles.
Oh, haha. Now that you explained it I did overcomplicate that. Tongue
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »

Just a little update. I've had a busy time recently and also was feeling run down with a cold, so hasn't been the most productive time, which is why I haven't posted for a bit. But I finally have something worth showing.

As part of the new secret level I was working on, I made a new jungle backdrop. Here is the backdrop placed into an existing jungle-themed level. Old orange one on the left, new on the right:

I'm much happier with the new one. My background artwork has really come a long way since the start of the project, I'm definitely finding my groove with it. The trick for me seems to be finding a level of detail that can be achieved over the whole backdrop without it taking hours to create.

The clifftop backdrop is another good example of improvements, this one on the left being from way back in 2014:

The process I followed for the new jungle backdrop is as follows:

1. The most daunting bit can be staring at a huge white canvas! A full screen background feels like a lot of space to fill, especially if the game typically contains sprites and tiles around 32 or 16 pixels in size. I take a screenshot of the game, cut out the existing background, and then put it into a non-pixel painting program (I use ArtRage). I have a small cheap Wacom tablet so it's easy just to fill the space with colour and make a really rough idea of the colours and shapes of the background.

2. First pass pixel art over the top, really quick and dirty, just make sure the whole image is filled with big solid areas of colour. At this point I'm working in my old creaky version of Paint Shop Pro with lots of layers. I want to keep the layers separate so they're easier to save out for use in the game later.

3. Lots of iteration and refinement. It's best to do this in small chunks over a few days so you can keep coming back to it with fresh eyes. It can be helpful to do fill in a small section of the background with higher detail rather than trying to do the whole thing at once. My goal is to make the background look detailed, without spending countless hours on the pixel art, but without looking lazy and cheap. Hopefully I succeeded, I'm happy with it at least. During this process I still have the original screenshot of the game (with its background cut out) on a separate layer so I can overlay it on the new background and see how it looks.

4. Save all the layers out to separate images, and get them into the game. This process will obviously vary a lot depending how your background system works! Once they're in the game I can choose the parallax speeds for each layer, shift things around a bit, and then polish up the images, for example making them loop correctly at the edges.

Here's a timelapse gif of the above process. This is a slightly different version of the jungle backdrop for use in a watery level.

October is nearly upon us! I have more busy times for the first half of October, so I'm not sure how much I will get done. So there may be a bit of a dry patch. But my goal for October once I have time to get into some work is to make a start on some form of boss fight!

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 28, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »

I saw the new Mario Odyssey game has Mario performing a roll very similar to Leilani's. Thought of your immediately.

Now everyone will claim you're a rip ;-)

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 29, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »

Following your progress is really inspirational. I already said once, but your game is gorgeous.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 29, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »

Following your progress is really inspirational.
^
Kryptot7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »

This game's art is amazing Waaagh! I think what really sells it for me is the great use of color, which is crucial for pixel art. The animations and the adorable sprites and the responsive backgrounds really make you want to jump in the game and explore  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic