Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1318463 Posts in 59219 Topics- by 50311 Members - Latest Member: yp753

October 17, 2017, 09:48:34 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 101280 times)
Kryptot7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »

This game's art is amazing Waaagh! I think what really sells it for me is the great use of color, which is crucial for pixel art. The animations and the adorable sprites and the responsive backgrounds really make you want to jump in the game and explore  Grin
TheGrandHero
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #661 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:39 pm »

The clifftop backdrop is another good example of improvements, this one on the left being from way back in 2014:

As much as I really like the new clifftop background, I kinda prefer the old color motif. Could different levels with the same environment have different palettes, maybe?

qMopey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: October 01, 2017, 03:24:19 pm »

I would have to agree; the old background was muted enough to somehow let the eyes rest on the player and foreground without requiring too much focus. The new background is vibrant enough to "distract" the eye.
ydobemos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:40 pm »

I'll add my opinion that both the new backgrounds look great. And the new mountain has a much better scale and the completely different hues take care of content separation. One thing that does feel like it could be changed would be the "gradient" - I think it needs to be exponential, like "o oo ooo oooo".
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #664 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:31 am »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I saw the new Mario Odyssey game has Mario performing a roll very similar to Leilani's. Thought of your immediately.

Now everyone will claim you're a rip ;-)

Yeah I saw the rolling briefly in an early trailer (haven't watched any new footage since the E3 trailer though). I was excited! More games need rolling! :D It seems such an unrealistic and videogamey way to move around, which I love.

As much as I really like the new clifftop background, I kinda prefer the old color motif. Could different levels with the same environment have different palettes, maybe?
I would have to agree; the old background was muted enough to somehow let the eyes rest on the player and foreground without requiring too much focus. The new background is vibrant enough to "distract" the eye.
I'll add my opinion that both the new backgrounds look great. And the new mountain has a much better scale and the completely different hues take care of content separation. One thing that does feel like it could be changed would be the "gradient" - I think it needs to be exponential, like "o oo ooo oooo".

Thanks for the thoughts! No one has complained about the background on that level being distracting while playing, but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on. Backgrounds can usually benefit from being desaturated a little more to help clarity. Changing background colours between levels is also a good idea, I do intend on reusing backdrops so would be an easy way to make a level look visually different. And yeah, the gradient would look less lazy if it was less linear!

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:04 pm »

I think the issue isn't so much that the new backgrounds are bad--they aren't, and they look great in fact!--but rather that when you compare all the backgrounds as a whole, they're a bit too similar to each other. I like the variety and differentiation in colors that the previous backgrounds had. That's my opinion, at least.
qMopey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: October 02, 2017, 02:04:17 pm »

Agreed with Photon. Another thing is composition rule-of-thirds. new background sits right in middle of screen, which makes it a little harsher on the eye. Old background was closer to sitting on a "thirds" line, due to base of the mountain residing near the bottom third line, and the sun on the left hand third line.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 02, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »

I was excited! More games need rolling! :D It seems such an unrealistic and videogamey way to move around, which I love.

Obligatory:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:22:53 pm by JobLeonard » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2017, 11:48:21 am »

Haha that's great, maybe he can cosplay Leilani some day Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile