Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:15:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 400870 times)
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: February 10, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »

How are you liking the "themed month" approach to your development? I thought of doing something similar, but I could never stay dedicated to it. I try to at least do themed weeks, but even then I'm all over the place most of the time

It really works for me personally. Given the amount of time I get to work on the game, spending a month on one task seems a good balance between feeling like I can focus on that area of the game, and not feeling like I'm spending *too* long on it. Placing the one month restriction on myself feels quite freeing in a way, because I don't have to worry about or feel guilty about other areas of the game. For example I could spend time on some small world map features like the destroyable blocks, without worrying about whether I would be better off working on level design or fixing bugs or something.

I do get distracted sometimes, it depends whether something grabs my attention (like how I got sidetracked with adding the gameplay recording thing a few weeks ago), but that's ok. I try to stick to the monthly plan but there's no point being hard on myself if I stray from it a bit.

Is this a part time project? It seriously looks absolutely excellent. Tons of love.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: February 11, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »

Is this a part time project? It seriously looks absolutely excellent. Tons of love.

Yeah I'm working on the game in my free time only. Thank you Smiley

Ruskul
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 16, 2018, 11:15:49 AM »

This game looks awesome!  I have been lurking around here for a year or so, but thought I would add my two cents.  I like the animations, alot.  They add good character to the game and the colors are sweet too.  I hope you finish the game.  I'd buy it on day one!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »

Yeah I'm working on the game in my free time only. Thank you Smiley
You either have a lot of free time, or you're a 10x
PixelDough
Level 0

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: February 17, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »

Grin Just found you fairly recently, and I've gotta say you're a huge inspiration to me as a young indie game developer. The uniqueness of this game really inspires me to think outside the box a bit more, while still keeping the core game concept solid.

Anyways, I was wondering, what are you programming this game in? Thanks!

Cheers!  Coffee
~ Adam "PixelDough" Worrell
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: February 18, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »

You've come a long way sir, looking great Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: February 18, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »

Thanks all Smiley

Anyways, I was wondering, what are you programming this game in? Thanks!

I'm using C++, SDL 2 for window and input, FMOD for audio, OpenGL for graphics. Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

Camera - Part 2: Vertical Movement

Time for a quick overview of how the vertical camera movement currently works. In this test area the camera is locked to have no horizontal movement, only vertical.

One of the primary goals for the system was that simply jumping on the spot should not move the camera vertically at all. It just feels nicer that if the player is jumping to collect something, or jumping over an enemy, that the camera stays still. It allows the player to keep track of Leilani's position more consistently.

So if Leilani stays within the vertical yellow bar (the yellow I shape) the camera won't move vertically.

The yellow X represents the camera's desired focus position, which doesn't move.

If Leilani lands on a new platform, then the focus position changes to match the new height. The hope is that the vertical camera movement is predictable, so the player can become used to the timing and rythym of the camera's movement reacting to Leilani's movement.

If Leilani does stray outside of the vertical yellow bar then the camera moves to keep her within range. So for example if Leilani wall jumps, bounces off a spring, or falls off a platform, the camera will now be tracking her vertical movement rather than waiting for her to land on a platform again.

This behaviour isn't 100% final yet. I don't think any of my playtests so far have actually included vertically oriented levels, so it's largely untested. But I think it does the job quite well.

This video about the camera movement in Super Mario World is well worth a watch. The platform snapping behaviour mentioned above was specifically inspired by Super Mario World's camera and I never really thought about it until I watched this video some years ago.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:51 AM »

When Leilani turns around, the camera needs to adjust its offset to move ahead of Leilani in the new direction. To keep this behaviour in-keeping with the non-laggy movement that the camera normally has, I avoided smoothly animating the camera offset as it shifts to the other side of the screen. Instead, the offset only adjusts when the camera actually moves. This gif should help to explain:

As you can see, even after Leilani has turned around, the camera offset only changes when Leilani continues moving. What I wanted to avoid was the situation where the player taps the 'left' button briefly, and it causes the camera to swing all the way over to the other side of Leilani. Instead, if the player taps 'left', the camera will barely move.

After having seen your great approach for the vertical camera (imho) i thought you could apply a similar behaviour to the horizontal camera - a small vertical slice of the screen where the camera does not move, even IF Leilani would move in the opposite direction without any delay.

I remembered this article by Itay Keren which provides an analysis of the Super Mario World camera (gif) which avoids a direct reversion of the horizontal camera speed, too (by using a "threshold triggered dual-forward-focus").
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: February 19, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »

After having seen your great approach for the vertical camera (imho) i thought you could apply a similar behaviour to the horizontal camera - a small vertical slice of the screen where the camera does not move, even IF Leilani would move in the opposite direction without any delay.

I remembered this article by Itay Keren which provides an analysis of the Super Mario World camera (gif) which avoids a direct reversion of the horizontal camera speed, too (by using a "threshold triggered dual-forward-focus").

Yeah applying something similar to the horizontal camera could be worth trying, thanks! It would be nice to have a bit of wiggle room without the camera moving at all.

I forgot about that article, it's great! Thanks for the link Coffee

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: February 21, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »

A quick midweek bonus - a new enemy type!

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: February 22, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »

Hah, love it. Some of my favorite enemy types in SMW are the ones that can terrorize the world and other enemies, like the little koopa that kicks shells.

PixelDough
Level 0

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: February 22, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »

Games lately have been lacking in enemies that can kill each other. It makes sense if they're wildlife that it'll happen, and I think it also adds a bit of humor to some instances XD

Cheers!  Coffee
~ Adam "PixelDough" Worrell
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:56 AM »

I know I already said it on Twitter this week. But that GIF of the new enemy just further serves to highlight what I love about your game so far. All the crazy fun interactions!
Even when nothing is happening, something is happening!

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
IndieGameFiend
Level 0

IndieGameFiend.Net

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 24, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »

Toast Left this looks good mate!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »

Didn't mean to have such a long break between devlogs, sorry! I've been busy.

I finished level design month with 3 new playable levels. They're not my best work but can be polished up in the future. Smiley

March is World Map month again, I want to keep coming back to this until I've got a general layout of the whole map! For the first week or so I've been focusing on fixing up and polishing existing world map features.

One example is sorting sprites properly. Leilani, crates (the combat challenge levels), and all the foliage, are now all drawn in the correct order. So Leilani can appear in front or behind a crate, or even in the middle of the trees.

Crates also now have a shadow beneath them when they fall from the sky:

It feels nice to add this kind of polish. It feels like code-wise, the world map isn't too far from complete.

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2018, 06:42:00 AM »

Ugh... I don't know if I'm being too picky... But for the crate drop shadow, I would start it as a dot, but then make it more and more square as the crate gets closer to the ground. That is, unless this is a generic shadow used for a bunch of things, then nevermind me!

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Plastiware
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 16, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »

I love it!  I'm a huge fan of Mario, Wario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong Country games, so it's always nice to see more original hop-and-bop type platformers.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »

Ugh... I don't know if I'm being too picky... But for the crate drop shadow, I would start it as a dot, but then make it more and more square as the crate gets closer to the ground. That is, unless this is a generic shadow used for a bunch of things, then nevermind me!
I mistook it for an opening hole, so maybe pitch-blackness is confusing too.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:21 AM »

misreading it shouldn't really happen more than once though, and I'm sure with accompanying sound effect it'd be hard to see it as anything but a shadow

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic