Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1341052 Posts in 61274 Topics- by 52797 Members - Latest Member: cattt

June 23, 2018, 01:33:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 133543 times)
fall_ark
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 31, 2018, 03:01:24 AM »

For Chinese I would indeed have to draw a lot of characters, but since the game is relatively light on text, as long as I only drew the characters that were necessary then I think it would be doable. I expect line breaks would need to be done manually (at least I heard that's the case for Japanese), but other than that my font system should handle it fine.

It's generally a bad idea to try to create Chinese pixel font by oneself, especially since that size (11~12px) is already the minimum needed to make the font readable, so you can't really have a unique style. There are a few free Chinese pixel fonts around and I can send you the one we made ourselves (it's used in The Count Lucanor and in the old pixel-font version of Dead Cells) if needed.

Basic line-breaking simply needs to treat every CJK character (unicode 0x4e00 to 0x9fea) as a space. Some extra work is needed in relation to punctuation marks, but it's not really a big deal.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
Now also coordinating Chinese and global publishing for Indienova and WhisperGames. Send me an email if interested.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: June 01, 2018, 12:11:04 AM »

I like the control over the appearance of the outline that I get when I draw the outline by hand.

Looking at some examples of how to outline the letter C, a shader could choose to:
- Draw the outline on adjacent and diagonally adjacent pixels (second example), this makes edges that should be smooth look way too heavy.
- Draw the outline only on adjacent pixels (third example), this makes the sharp square corners look too rounded.

By hand-drawing the outline myself (fourth example), the curvy bits can look curvy and the sharp corners can look sharp.

Aha! That makes a lot of sense, yuss! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: June 01, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »

Enjoy your time off, Ishi! You know I'll be checking in regardless... Just in case  Tongue

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Josh Bossie
Level 2

Fly Safe, Pupper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: June 02, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »

Really loving the nerdy tech talk in the last page. Wish more of us talked as in depth about these things

Not loving the nightmarish pug which I can no longer unsee

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic