Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366236 Posts in 64017 Topics- by 55908 Members - Latest Member: Stano28

September 19, 2019, 04:00:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 181579 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #980 on: September 08, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »

This reminds me: doesn't look like it will be an issue so far, but being protanomalous myself: can I ask you to make sure that every time color is significant to distinguish something, that there is also a non-colored visual component to give the player a hint.

For example, all the different flowers so far also have different character designs for Leilani that would work if the game was viewed in greyscale. If you could keep that up that would be fantastic! Plus, it also helps the non-colorblind players! Wink

This is something that I try to keep in mind, it's good to have a reminder of it! The duct tape patches on the breakable side of the crates are a good example of having a visual indicator for something, rather than just relying on the colour alone. I can't think of anywhere in the game that this would currently be an issue and will continue to try to avoid any colour problems SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 09, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »

Yeah, so far the artwork in your game has been amazing in this department, thanks so much for that Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 09, 2019, 11:13:12 PM »

Indeed it looks great Hand Thumbs Up Right. Btw if you want to check whether it also looks great for people with color blindness, there are tools like Color Oracle (http://colororacle.org) to help you with that. The tool is open source/free, and easy to use Wink.
devindazzle
Level 0

I am a really tall midget

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: September 13, 2019, 05:53:52 AM »

This DevBlog is awesome!! Thank you for sharing both details about the game but also details on the inner mechanics of the game.

Waiting in great anticipation for part 3b and part 4 of the collision system  Smiley
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #984 on: September 14, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »

Alert states

I realised there is actually one part of the game that uses a colour change to indicate something. Some enemies have 'alert' states - in this state they are reacting to Leilani being nearby by chasing her, throwing stuff at her, etc.

During this state the enemy's eye turns from blue to red to help indicate that their behaviour will be different. I've made a tweak to also adjust the size of the highlight on the eye, so there's at least some visual difference between the two states other than the colour.

I think having this kind of visual difference helps all players, not just colour-blind ones!

There are also other indicators of the enemy's alert state - e.g. a sound effect and "!" above their head when first seeing Leilani.

Waiting in great anticipation for part 3b and part 4 of the collision system  Smiley

Thanks! Yeah I will get around to writing those at some point. '^_^

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »

Great detail! I like how the solution looks totally obvious when you see it.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic