Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:25:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Wizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure  (Read 79660 times)
next2indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:56 PM »

We really love this project. There's an estimate on how many spells there will be? We're really curious about this!

A really well-deserved success on Kickstarter, guys! Congratz on that.

EvergreenLimabean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »

Hmm... Actually, one question, if I may: Are there plans for a new demo?
Heya! We don't have any plans to create another demo for Wizard of Legend. The next step for us would be to complete the game as soon as possible and send out the beta keys to our backers so we can get some feedback before release. :D

Can I also make you a question, how is the pipeline to create this magic effects and animations? How do you create, implement and polish it?
We always have a huge list of spell ideas sitting around and the first thing we do is to create a bare bones working implementation of the idea. We just recycle whatever assets we have on hand to quickly visualize what the spell will look like. Once that's done, we leave it in the game for a bit so that we can experience what's it like to play with the spell. If we like the spell (it has good game feel, encourages different playstyles, has interesting mechanics, etc), we do some revisions on the design or numbers until we feel it's in a good place. Once that's complete we create the visuals effects (sprites and particles mainly) and add them to the game.

It actually looks really good.
Thank you! :D

We really love this project. There's an estimate on how many spells there will be?
We're currently planning on having about 120 spells in the game, though this number may increase as we love creating spells.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »

Hmm... Actually, one question, if I may: Are there plans for a new demo?
Heya! We don't have any plans to create another demo for Wizard of Legend. The next step for us would be to complete the game as soon as possible and send out the beta keys to our backers so we can get some feedback before release. :D
Ah, fair enough!

We're currently planning on having about 120 spells in the game, though this number may increase as we love creating spells.
Wow, that's an impressive--and ambitious--number of spells! Will most of those be variations on other spells--i.e. different values for damage and effects, perhaps different numbers of projectiles, etc., but not different behaviours? Or do you intend to have one-hundred-and-twenty highly-individual spells?

next2indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »

Fuck! 120 Spells! Go for it!
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but how many spell "types" there are? Like "Wind", "Fire", and such.

There's any way of proposing new spells?

Vitalius Sch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2016, 10:45:55 PM »

You guys ... you are amazing!
We're planning to have 20 skills in our game Embarrassed

Would you like to have passive spells in you game?

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »

Fuck! 120 Spells! Go for it!
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but how many spell "types" there are? Like "Wind", "Fire", and such.

We currently have the following elements: Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Lightning, and Chaos! Most of the spells will be distributed among the elements with the exception of Chaos having only a select few spells!

There's any way of proposing new spells?

We had a special backer tier for Kickstarters for individuals that wanted to design their own spell in collaboration with the team! We still would love to hear cool spell ideas since it's awesome to hear all the creative ideas everyone has!

Would you like to have passive spells in you game?

We're trying to adhere to the convention where things with active components will be considered a spell and anything passive will be treated as items (aka relics in our game). Not sure if we can stick to this for everything, but we're trying!

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »

Happy early Halloween everyone!

We’re back with another update! This time we'll be featuring the beginnings of our progression system, some helpful new allies, boss overhaul, and a sneak peak at a new fire arcana!

A Wizard's Home (gfycat)

When you first begin Wizard of Legend, you’ll start off in your very own room. While your room initially contains just a couple of allies, Ward and Tomi, you’ll be able to fill it with a variety of interesting additions as you progress through the game.

Ward the Enchanted Cabinet (gfycat)

Ward is an enchanted cabinet that allows you to enter the trials in style! Whenever you find a new outfit, it’ll appear in Ward’s collection, allowing you to wear it the next time you meet him. He’ll also inform you of the attributes of each of the outfits you find!

Tomi the Enchanted Codex (gfycat)

Tomi is an enchanted codex that keeps track of all the arcana that you’ve found on your trials. Each time you come across a new arcana, it will become available in Tomi’s archives for use in future trials.

Frost Queen's New Signature Move (gfycat)

We’ve also managed to put the finishing touches on our ice stage this month by rehauling the environmental visuals as well as revamping the boss experience. Frost Queen Freiya now has her own spell combos with scaling difficulty as well as access to her own signature arcana!

And finally we have a quick sneak peek at one of the spells we’ve added this month, Blazing Blitz! Activating the Blazing Blitz arcana causes you to dash forward, pummeling the first enemy you encounter with a barrage of flames and ending with an explosive finale!

We’re also going to be at Unite LA 2016 where we’ve been given the opportunity to show off an early build of the game! We hope to get some good feedback during the event!

That's all for today! Thank you for reading and please stay tuned for more updates!

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

We’re back with another holiday progress update and this time we’re showing off the beginnings of our earth level as well as a quick preview of some of our new water based spells!

Earth Stage WIP

We were finally able to get back to working on our earth level this month and, as you can see here, the tileset is growing in nicely with trees, planters, vines, and all the various flora coming together!

Of course we’ve also created magical earth enemies to populate the level. Here’s a quick look at some Earth Mages using the Boulder Throw and Spike Wave spells!

Earth Mage

We also took some time this month to finish fleshing out the water arcana section of our spellbook by creating over a dozen water based spells!
First on the list is Water Arc, a new projectile based basic arcana that fires a ball of water in a curved pattern, striking all enemies in its path.

Water Arc

Next we have the Bouncing Blob arcana, that creates an aptly named blob of water that bounces off of any wall it hits to continue dealing damage to enemies.

And finally, we added another signature arcana, Snow Chakrams! While in its standard form this arcana summons a single chakram that rapidly spirals outward,
its signature form summons a winter wonderland of snowflakes!

That’s all for this update! Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more updates!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »

If I may say, I really like the art for those water-globes--the splashes when they hit and the "wobble" to their animations really seem to me to convey their fluid nature. ^_^

(And a happy Thanksgiving to you if you're in the United States. ^_^)

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »

Happy Holidays from the Wizard of Legend team!

To celebrate the holiday spirit, we’ve created a lively new frost spell!
Activating the new Whirling Snowman arcana will summon a snowman that’ll rapidly spin towards enemies to damage and interrupt them.

This past month we’ve continued our trek through the Earth Stage of Wizard of Legend and we've got a couple of new earth arcana and earthen foes to show off!

The first arcana we’re showing off Stalwart Defenders, was designed by a pair of our spell designer backers, Shamrock63 and Slamuel! Activating this arcana summons a quartet of chess knights that leap forward in a defensive pattern!

Our next earth arcana is Shatterstone! This is a two part arcana that causes a boulder to erupt out of the ground, knocking enemies out of the way, before following up with a powerful strike to create shrapnel that damages all enemies in the area!

Shatterstone in action! (gfycat)

And of course we created some new enemies for wizards to use these new arcana on!

Earth Rogues begin the battle by throwing out earth caltrops to limit the movement of speedy wizards. Once in range, they use a quick burrow ability to move underneath their target before bursting out of the ground with earth spikes in tow! And finally, at higher levels they can use their vine dash to spawn a trail of vines that root nearby wizards and completely disable all of their movement abilities.

Earth Rogue displays all his abilities! (gfycat)

Earth Lord Atlas is the chief architect of the courtyard in Wizard of Legend and will test the abilities of wizards by pummeling them with powerful earth spell combinations!

Earth Lord Atlas show you what it means to be a member of the Magic Council (gfycat)

That’s all for this update! Thank you for making 2016 a great year for Wizard of Legend and we wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »

Happy holidays and a happy new year to you, too! ^_^

I really like the "Stalwart Defenders" arcana (... should that not be "arcanum"? Admittedly, my knowledge of Latin is rather limited...) both in function and aesthetic. Those chess-pieces look rather cool to my eye, and are pleasantly unusual, I feel. ^_^

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »

I really like the "Stalwart Defenders" arcana

We really were happy with the chess piece idea that our backers provided and are glad that it came out great! It was something we never thought about before, but it was perfect as an earth arcana. We're even considering expanding on the idea for future or upgraded versions of spells with more of the standard pieces that you see on a chess board.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »

I could very much see some interesting spells coming of that, I think--ideas spring to mind for the bishop and castle in particular. ^_^

sanwayzar
Level 0

Game Director at Game-O-Gami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »

I could very much see some interesting spells coming of that, I think--ideas spring to mind for the bishop and castle in particular. ^_^

Absolutely!
A swarm of Pawns could relentlessly move forward one space at a time, moving one space diagonally when an enemy is in attack range.
The Queen would be fierce! Smiley

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2017, 07:35:17 PM »

Hope everyone is having a great new year!

We've been busy this month adding a lot of details to our earth stage and were also able to implement some new exciting arcana!

First up is some environmental additions we made to the courtyard to spruce up the battles a bit!
We feel it's pretty fitting in honor of the the recent Breath of the Wild reveal Smiley

We were also able to update the poison effects for the Earth Archer as part of our focus on the earth stage this month!

Earth Archer's Posion Arrow and Poison Cloud (gfycat)

Frozen Bait

Next up is the Frozen Bait arcana!
This arcana creates an awesome decoy that attracts nearby enemies while also summoning a giant water shark to chomp them down!

Seismic Entry

We also took some time to implement a "jump" system which opened up a a lot of doors in our arcana design.
The first arcana to take advantage of this system is Seismic Entry! This arcana allows the wizard to
launch themselves into the air before they come smashing down to stun all nearby enemies.

Seismic Entry! (gfycat)

Mimi the Teasure Chest

Last but not least, say hello to Mimi!
A friendly NPC that will help you manage the various relics you find throughout your journey!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

This game continues to look really lovely! ^_^

Those little bits of environmental interaction can help to make a game-world feel more "alive", I think, and thus a little more engaging.

Mimi's cute--and it's nice to see what seems to be a friendly Mimic. ^_^

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »

This game continues to look really lovely! ^_^

Those little bits of environmental interaction can help to make a game-world feel more "alive", I think, and thus a little more engaging.

Mimi's cute--and it's nice to see what seems to be a friendly Mimic. ^_^

Thanks! We're still working out some minor details, but it looks like people have been responding well to Mimi's look so far Smiley

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

What would you say you're inspired more by, Dark Souls or Castlevania

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »

What would you say you're inspired more by, Dark Souls or Castlevania
Hmm, our mechanics are mostly inspired by fighting games as well as more modern action adventure games like Devil May Cry. We love the Souls series and Metroidvanias and I'm sure some of that has rubbed off onto the game. However, we tend to look toward action and combo heavy games for inspiration when designing our combat. Our goal is to create an action oriented rogue-like-ish game that rewards the player with skillful play!

LordOfCats
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:17 AM »

How can I get to play the alpha/beta of this game?, I've played the demo about 15 times in a row and it looks amazing...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic