Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:40:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Wizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure  (Read 79697 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »

That map looks pretty good, to my eye, and the Magsphere spell looks like a lot of fun! ^_^

A thought regarding the Enhanced Arcana: perhaps it might help to distinguish them from their base forms via slight changes to the name, indicating a more powerful form: the Enhanced version of Earth Knuckles might be Stone Knuckles, or Earth Gauntlets, for example.

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: November 06, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »

That map looks pretty good, to my eye, and the Magsphere spell looks like a lot of fun! ^_^

A thought regarding the Enhanced Arcana: perhaps it might help to distinguish them from their base forms via slight changes to the name, indicating a more powerful form: the Enhanced version of Earth Knuckles might be Stone Knuckles, or Earth Gauntlets, for example.

Thanks! I'd have to double check against the spell text database, but I do believe we already do that for some (but not all the spells). We generally try to keep the nature of the spell the same in terms of looks and function when designing the enhanced versions.

We basically wanted to offer the players a choice between buying a new relic or upgrading an existing arcana if they happened to get a spell that they love. It's a tricky balance since we don't want players to always go for a new arcana or a new relic, but really think about their choices and how they want to put together their build for the current run!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »

I'd have to double check against the spell text database, but I do believe we already do that for some (but not all the spells).

Ah, fair enough! I think that I took it from the description on the previous page that the enhanced versions had the same names (so "Enhanced Earth Knucles" instead of "Earth Knuckles".

We generally try to keep the nature of the spell the same in terms of looks and function when designing the enhanced versions.

Indeed, I'm not suggesting otherwise there! I think that it makes sense to keep the form and function more or less the same. The idea behind minor changes to the names, I believe, was simply to convey immediately to the player that this is indeed something that's the same, but better. (Hence "Stone" instead of "Earth", etc.)

We basically wanted to offer the players a choice between buying a new relic or upgrading an existing arcana if they happened to get a spell that they love. It's a tricky balance since we don't want players to always go for a new arcana or a new relic, but really think about their choices and how they want to put together their build for the current run!

I think that that's a good idea. For one thing, it may reduce the pressure to "upgrade" away from a spell that one likes, simply because the new spell is numerically better.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »

Bump any news?

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »

Wizard of Legend is Now Available!

Wizard of Legend is now available on PC/Mac/Linux, Switch, PS4, and Xbox One! Check it out on your favorite platform:

Join the Discussion!

Want to discuss your favorite loadout? Run into technical issues? Join the discussion on any of the following channels:

What's Next?

Now that the game is out, what’s next you ask? Well, we’re currently hard at work on the next area of the game, the wind themed Sky Palace! While the exact plans are still very much in the air, this stage will have its own elemental council member as well as an entourage of wind based enemies. We’re still working on finalizing all of the details, so stay tuned for future updates!

Thank You!

Thank you to everyone who have been following along with the development and have cheered us along throughout the process! We couldn't have done it without you!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »

Congratulations on release, and very well done on reaching this point! :D

(The game is on my GOG.com wishlist. ^_^)

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

I approve of this game. Exactly what I've been looking for.  Cool

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »

Put a couple hours into it. Happy with my purchase.

I'll share a few things I like + don't like here. First, a couple bug reports you'll want to know. I didn't find this section, but this portal showed up.. I went through and got warped out of the map - recommend you check your portal spawning code.

The mini map showed up on my second launch of the game even though I had previously destroyed its size. Opening + closing settings turned it offf.

Things I like: variety in special moves. General pace of combat + time to combat. Teleports that save where you've been so quick access. Overall game structure (2 levels, Boss). Many options for your build are quickly available (quick to purchase multiple options). Great job on this.  Toast Left

Combat is fun, a good beat-em-up experience.

The recharge system confused me at first. I had my eye on the second meter which was decreasing over time + while I dashed - so I thought thit was a mana system I had to build by attacking, then spend it to use spells. It took me untili my second run to figure out the recharge system.

I like the icon showing above your head indicating a move recharge. It took me a while to adjust to the different startup of moves but I like this now - you have to think about how much time you have to activate a move like the lightning daggers or spinning ice blades.

I wonder if you thought about spells having a mana cost and building up through damage (sorry if you've discussed already in devlog, I haven't kept fully up to date)? That would build more incentive to melee then combo into spells. The many ranged attacks that recharge simply over time make many enemies cheesable - even in small rooms it's easy to just dash away, melee once then signature move.

My biggest complaints about combat is how dominating kiting is ^ + and how dominating the single punch in solo or small group fights. I think this is in part due to enemy AI - the ranged attackers & ranged spellcasters often just stand completely still, I run up and tap-tap-tap effectively stunlocking them. It looks goofy and isn't that fun.. would be cooler if they had a counter, or were running away, something.

I would love to see more enemy abilities, like using the Knights or setting up "Set Play", things that show up on screen that you then have to deal with or let them combo. Maybe this happens in later stages, I look forward to seeing how enemy abilities evolve.

Bosses are quite fun, great job. I've reached the Fire boss at the first Boss checkpoint twice. It's pretty tough for a first-timer, perfect. Dashing to evade is interesting here -- I don't think this is a bad thing because it requires precision, but it was annoying when I had to evade and my options were walk slowly or chuck myself forward with a dash. I wonder if you experimented with a "hold dash to move distance" that would allow light taps to quickly step out of the way? (I think this would work great if it spent mana, instead of a recharge system..)

One minor thing about the bosses, it's the only time the "hit combo" text shows up.. it feels very tacked on. I would like to see a combo count in the game, but always be active, not just when I'm stunning enemies. Just show me number of (reasonbly quickly) consecutive hits, giving me a sense of accomplishment + something to aim for. If more combo = faster mana regen (I know I keep going back to this, it's just because that was my first impression of the system mechanics!) I think it would make a nice risk/reward dynamic.

Excited to check out coop - I think this game will shine even better there.

Overall this is a great game and one of the few I've bought in several years. I'm looking forward to playing it much more. Please take the critiques as you will, these are just my impressions, coming from a long-time fighting game player who thinks about fighting system mechanics about every day.

Congratulations and looking forward to playing more!  Wizard  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic