Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:37:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Wizard of Legend - Rogue-like 2D Action Adventure  (Read 79727 times)
rorkimaru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »

I really like the demo! I think personally I'd prefer it if melee attacks were not done in the direction of the mouse but rather the direction the player is facing but beyond that combat is solid, movement is very tight and I love the dash. It feels almost devil may cry like.
Skippouze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »

Hello,
I just registered on this forum in order to give a little feedback about your game. I have been playing it this week-end and a few times here and there since then.

First of all, thank you for this awesome work, you actually made my day when I discovered your creation: so far the feeling is very solid, I really love your punchy animations ! (and animations have a HUGE on my gamer feeling)

I have been playing with a Microsoft X360 Gamepad only and it is working out perfectly, I'll give it a try with mouse+keyboard but I am not sure I will enjoy it as much as with the gamepad (don't ask me why ... I have no problem with that in general and tend to prefer the ol' keyboard+mouse combo but your game seemed more enjoyable with a gamepad from the beginning)

Maybe it is completly intended, but I feel the difficulty rather radically different between the severals characters (very easy with Lord Osiris, but way harder with the mighty Zeus for example).

I would like to give you a better feedback as a casual player, and might do so later if ever it could be of any help to you, but for now I just wanted to thanks you and encourage you to continue this way ! :D I would totally buy your game with moar levels, characters, monsters and so on !

EvergreenLimabean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »

I really like the demo! I think personally I'd prefer it if melee attacks were not done in the direction of the mouse but rather the direction the player is facing but beyond that combat is solid, movement is very tight and I love the dash. It feels almost devil may cry like.

Thanks! We originally tried a build with the basic slash only in the facing directions but got feedback that it felt too restrictive. We may offer it as an option if and when we get a proper game options menu. I love DMC and it was one of the games we played to try to get a good feel for our combat system!

Hello,
I just registered on this forum in order to give a little feedback about your game. I have been playing it this week-end and a few times here and there since then.
First of all, thank you for this awesome work, you actually made my day when I discovered your creation: so far the feeling is very solid, I really love your punchy animations ! (and animations have a HUGE on my gamer feeling)
I have been playing with a Microsoft X360 Gamepad only and it is working out perfectly, I'll give it a try with mouse+keyboard but I am not sure I will enjoy it as much as with the gamepad (don't ask me why ... I have no problem with that in general and tend to prefer the ol' keyboard+mouse combo but your game seemed more enjoyable with a gamepad from the beginning)
Maybe it is completly intended, but I feel the difficulty rather radically different between the severals characters (very easy with Lord Osiris, but way harder with the mighty Zeus for example).
I would like to give you a better feedback as a casual player, and might do so later if ever it could be of any help to you, but for now I just wanted to thanks you and encourage you to continue this way ! :D I would totally buy your game with moar levels, characters, monsters and so on !

Awesome! Great feedback is always very motivating!

Getting the mouse and keyboard controls on par with the gamepad is actually one of the most difficult issues that we've run into. We've tried several control schemes, but it always felt a bit off. We're working on it though!

Difficulty scaling is something we haven't been able to focus on just yet, but something we'll definitely get to work on. This would include tuning all the spells to be competitive with each other in terms of effectiveness. This also means we'll be tuning the enemies to be much more difficult by having additional behaviors, so that players can really show off their spell mastery.

Thanks for playing!
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 02:15:11 AM »

We have a lot to show off this week! A lot of time went into polishing existing assets, adding new animations, and revamping the existing tileset. A lot of it was motivated by the May 1st deadline for IndieCade game submissions. We attended the event last year as two developers who didn't know what to expect, but we came away from the event really appreciating what it was doing for independent devs all around the world. We would love to be a part of this year's event in any way and have been working hard to get the current part of the game as polished as possible for submission.

This week, we put a lot of effort into the environment of the game. Platforming in particular is something we had very early in the concept phase, but we just never had the chance to properly implement it until now. We're very excited to be able to add some new environmental mechanics to the game that not only spruce up the visuals, but also add a new layer of gameplay challenges.

We also had some extra time to add the Rainbow Trails skill. One of the many joke skills that we plan to have in the game... just for fun Smiley

Co-op Run | gfycat
RAINBOW TRAILS! | gfycat
Platforming Across Bottomless Pits | gfycat
Skeleton Mage Attack | gfycat
Heal Animation | gfycat
Newly Revamped Tileset | gfycat
MultiShot Skill | gfycat

Thank you to everyone who has left us feedback on the game so far. We really appreciate it so far and will continue to work towards even more exciting updates over time!

Skippouze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »

Oooooh that looks amazing ! Obivously the cooperative gameplay sounds terribly exciting  Shocked
Great job on the heal animation btw, it looks really good BUT is not pixelated like the rest of the game: so I like it but it is somehow less "integrated"

Will try a new release if ever you make one, otherwise I'll come back as I said with feedback while trying to focusing on aspects of the games more than just the "player" feel.
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »

Oooooh that looks amazing ! Obivously the cooperative gameplay sounds terribly exciting  Shocked
Great job on the heal animation btw, it looks really good BUT is not pixelated like the rest of the game: so I like it but it is somehow less "integrated"

Will try a new release if ever you make one, otherwise I'll come back as I said with feedback while trying to focusing on aspects of the games more than just the "player" feel.

I agree some of the particle effects seem slightly off since they don't follow the pixel units perfectly and that's something we'll look into integrating better.

We tend to release new builds when there are specific gameplay elements we would like feedback on. We might be close to having some stuff ready that we want to test in the near future so stay tuned!

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »

This looks awesome! Looking forward to play it! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »

We added Co-op! After a fairly big break, we are now back in force with a ton of changes! It's been about 2 months since the last update and there are far too many changes to list since the last release. Here are just a few highlights of what has been added or changed:

- Local Co-op with up to two players!
- Minimap added
- Improved tileset with more variation
- Addition of bottomless pits as environmental feature
- Dungeon themed destructibles
- Tons of new sprites and animations
- Improved Boss Encounter
- Skill tuning
- Insane amount of bug fixes
- The game now loops infinitely until you die

Here are the links for convenience:

Web (Unity Web Player)
Win
Mac

We also submitted our game to IndieCade and the IndieMEGABOOTH! Hopefully we'll get the chance to showcase Wizard of Legend to people at one of the events!

Please let us know what you think, especially if you had a chance to try out co-op!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:05:17 PM by hellovoid » Logged

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »

Local co-op is now live and operational! There were a ton of edge cases we had to resolve to get a smooth experience going, but after spending a ton of time playing through it internally, we're pretty happy with the results so far. Lots of rough edges to smooth out, but it feels like a good start. Here's a quick gif of the gameplay and a HD video equivalent uploaded on YouTube:

New Local Co-op Mode (YouTube) | gif
Bonus Video of Co-op Boss Fight!

We added new destructibles to match the dungeon theme!

Tons of spell effects and animations were updated as well! Here's the new Tornado animation:

We also updated a lot of other spells and added visual polish all around:

Updated Blizzard Effects | imgur
Fighting New Golem | imgur
Overdrive Trails | imgur
New Spell Pickup Effect | imgur
New Boss Fight Intro | imgur

Bonus gif of a unique interaction that the Tornado spell has with projectiles:

Tornado Negating Projectiles | imgur

We’re just getting back into the thick of things and hope to update more regularly! Any and all feedback on the lastest build or the screenshots would be greatly appreciated!

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »

Death Animations

This week, we added a few death animations for our enemies! It's still a first pass, but they definitely seem to help with the game feel. Previously we had units simply fade away when they died and it was a bit harder to distinguish which ones were still alive when they were in a pack.

PvP (Early Test)

Here are a few longer clips of the dev team testing a very rough test of how PvP would work out:

PvP Battle 1 |

PvP Battle 2 |

PvP Battle 3 | youtube

Where Am I Going? (New Minimap!)

We also implemented a minimap! It was surprisingly easy to do, but definitely not trivial. Having a tile based game did have its advantages in our case. We simply cut up the map into 4x4 tile meshes and had them hidden until a collider on the player hit the bounding box of the 4x4 section. This let us add a nice area explored percentage, which is awesome for completionists!

Minimap

Camera Hit Effects and Co-op Level Summary

Some quality of life changes were added based on feedback. In this case, we added a red flashing effect on the camera so it's easier to tell when you get hit during battle. The duration and opacity is controlled by the amount of damage you take, so the higher the damage, the more noticeable the effect.

Red Hurt Flash | imgur

We also updated the level summary a bit to promote some competition between players in co-op mode. It now breaks down a bunch of stats and highlights the person who did the most damage!

Co-op Level Summary

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2015, 03:59:17 AM »

Pvp battles have a strong Naruto vibe (in a good way).

Curious to see the final state of this game. good luck.
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »

Thanks! We never thought of it that way, but our interpretation of a wizard does seem closer to ninjas in Naruto rather than the traditional staff wielding wizards you see in some stories.

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »

Hey! This is looking great!  Beer!

How do you manage the whole knockback/range/proximity thing? Are enemies collidable entities?

Keep it up!  Beer!

TIG - Devlog<br />Twitter<br />Facebook<br />
contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

Hey! This is looking great!  Beer!

How do you manage the whole knockback/range/proximity thing? Are enemies collidable entities?

Thanks for the kind words! Yep, enemies are collidable entities. We don't have any enemies that hurt the player on contact right now. The knockbacks are just done through hurt boxes and attack hit boxes, which are sometimes separate from the colliders on the entity's body. Not sure if that made any sense, but I believe that's what you were referring to with the question?

Kemp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 01:59:44 AM »

The minimap looks like it takes up a lot of screen space. Any chance the size might change? Or maybe a transparent background?
EvergreenLimabean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

The minimap looks like it takes up a lot of screen space. Any chance the size might change? Or maybe a transparent background?

Hey Kemp! We'll most likely add minimap size and/or transparency tuning into the options menu in the next few builds. It was initially a concern when we were implementing it, but after we did, we were just glad it was working and put it in the build :D
Kemp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

Hey Kemp! We'll most likely add minimap size and/or transparency tuning into the options menu in the next few builds. It was initially a concern when we were implementing it, but after we did, we were just glad it was working and put it in the build :D

Totally understood. You know I love the game btw Smiley Remember that if my suggestions ever accidentally sound too much like demands Wink
joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »

Thanks for the kind words! Yep, enemies are collidable entities. We don't have any enemies that hurt the player on contact right now. The knockbacks are just done through hurt boxes and attack hit boxes, which are sometimes separate from the colliders on the entity's body. Not sure if that made any sense, but I believe that's what you were referring to with the question?

Yeah, I got it! hahahah It's kinda like my way of managing this kind of thing! I use the collision boxes (The same I use for physics) and an attack box... anyway! Thanks for the answer!

I look forward to play your game!

Keep it up!
  Beer!

TIG - Devlog<br />Twitter<br />Facebook<br />
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

This is looking extremely well-done and right up my alley. I'm curious though, will there be online co-op? That's pretty much the only way I'd be able to use it, haha.

contingent99
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 10:15:46 PM »

This is looking extremely well-done and right up my alley. I'm curious though, will there be online co-op? That's pretty much the only way I'd be able to use it, haha.

Network play is definitely something we want to do but given our current resources, it's looking unlikely Sad
We're trying to keep the scope of the game from growing out of control, so we're currently prioritizing getting the single player and couch co-op parts ready first.

If the game does well or we get an influx of funding through Kickstarter or elsewhere, we'll do everything we can to make it happen though!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic