Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:50:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesToadzilla [done]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Toadzilla [done]  (Read 34379 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:15:48 PM »

Announcing Toadzilla, my entry into the B-Games Competition. You play as a mutant toad that has grown enormous and seeks to destroy mankind. This game will feature:
•   Glorious 2D animation
•   Fully destructible environments
•   Giant radioactive toad
•   Pathetic human defenders

Here is a screen shot of early development:

EDIT
Here is a screen shot of the final game

You can test it out at:

http://www.monkeydev.com/toadzilla/toadzilla.zip

controls are:
W A S D move about world map
Left Mouse: place building
Right Mouse:  damage building by one state, click more until the building falls down
Esc: Exits

Please let me know if you are getting any runtime errors and what they are.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:18:15 AM by Derek » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:43 PM »

I just downloaded it...took me a sec to figure out the mouse control...kinda weird...interesting concept though....when will we get to control the giant toad?....'cause that sounds like it'll rock Smiley
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:58:53 PM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »

Hm, is there a runtime I need to install? I get "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70D.dll was not found."

Visual C? I have that installed already...? Well, VC++ 2005 Express.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:18:45 AM »

Hm, is there a runtime I need to install? I get "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70D.dll was not found."

Visual C? I have that installed already...? Well, VC++ 2005 Express.

Yeah I got the same thing you actually will have to download a driver to get this to work...I found one at:nodriver

You have to actually drag it to the desktop from the zip folder and then drop it in the C:/WINDOWS/System folder..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:07:51 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »

i got the same error. Skalidicpoet, your link brings up a page that says no drivers found.  Not sure how to get it working...

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 05:13:17 AM »

i got the same error. Skalidicpoet, your link brings up a page that says no drivers found.  Not sure how to get it working...

Damn, ok well then go to this link nodevice.com

And in the upper right hand corner is a search field, select dlls and type this in:
MSVCR70d.dll...it'll pop up two drivers download either one....sorry for the bad link before Sad

One quick note though...you can't extract the folder straight to the c:/windows/system directory...you'll have to actually drag the file from the zip folder to the desktop and then drag the dll from the desktop to the system folder....hope that helps Smiley

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:37:49 AM »

thanks skaldic it worked, as for the game... It was super buggy for me you had to click all different places for it to build. But that probably won't be a problem because as a mutant toad I doubt you will have to erect buildings.  I like the destruction of the buildings.  Maybe when a building falls over you could have the screen shake a little. Feels like this game is gonna shape up to be pretty fun.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »

thanks skaldic it worked, as for the game... It was super buggy for me you had to click all different places for it to build. But that probably won't be a problem because as a mutant toad I doubt you will have to erect buildings.  I like the destruction of the buildings.  Maybe when a building falls over you could have the screen shake a little. Feels like this game is gonna shape up to be pretty fun.

np Smiley

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »

Sorry about lacking the msvcr10d.dll file. I have added it to the Zip file on my webpage. I thought I set the Visual Studio settings to exclude that file in the release build, but I guess I was wrong. I blame Microsoft (unless the Gates is monitoring this forum then I blame the media).

As you may have guessed this is the level editor. The real game will just load the files this program creates. I like to make sure the tiles and building collapse work before going further in development.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:11:07 AM by hamster » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »

Hey dude, looking good!  The editor ran fine for me (with the new .dll, I'm assuming).  Placing buildings was a little weird, though.  I understand you have to drag upwards, but sometimes it would effect buildings I'd already placed that were near my cursor, but not right under it.  I don't know if this is what you were planning or not.

Lookin' forward to seeing the toad!
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »

Ok I have implimented the Toadzilla, here are some screen shots:

Just kidding those are place holder graphics.

The Toadzilla controlls work now. I have updated the link to point at the new build. So click here to try out the newest version:

http://www.monkeydev.com/toadzilla/toadzilla.zip

Controlls are:
A move left
D move right
,(comma) jump
W start climbing

(while climbing)
WASD move in specified direction
,(comma) jump
, + S let go of building and go free fall.

.(period) dammage building frog is in front of.

I still have a lot of animations to make and load but this is how I want the controlls to work.

Let me know if there is anything odd or counterintuative about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:36:32 PM by hamster » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 01:46:29 PM »

This is awesome. I love the way the buildings fall. It totally rocks! Grin

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 04:28:49 AM »

I love the way the buildings fall.

Ditto.  Especially, I like how falling segments damage the bits next to them, so you can trigger chain reactions of building-falling-down-ness.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »

I just finished the rigging Black and white sketch of the Toadzilla. I have a home made 2d rigging and animation program Smiley

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 04:11:40 AM »

I really like the "Beta" of Toadzilla. I hope he can jump in the full game.

Edit: He can jump...Ooops
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:37:30 AM by Cheif Emu » Logged

Film/TV/Game Composer
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:32 AM »

Oh hey, Hamster! This guy entered the Gothic RPG contest over at RPGDX with the most interesting idea in the competition. Small world, I guess :D

Unfortunately, I can't run the demo on this computer (I, too, am missing MSVCR70d.dll Sad), but I'll try it on my home computer later on and let you know what I think. Good luck!

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 07:59:39 AM »

RPGDX was the last programming compo I entered. I usualy hang about http://allegro.cc chatting in their forums and waiting for the next speed hack. Oddly enough RPGDX's Lillith's Enticement and this Compo were both mentioned in the allegro.cc news page and I felt obligated to enter.

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

Dude, your game only contains a building and a big toad but it already feels really visually detailed and awesome. And it definitely looks better than the more recent 3-D Rampage games!
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »

The screenies look great. I remember being like 5 and playing Rampage on a friends SEGA (we didn't have a TV). I thought it was plain and simply the best thing that could exist - EVER.
r0cko
Level 0

Alley Kat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »

This one looks sweet! Grin still thinkin' real hard trying to come up with an idea myself..
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic