Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:47:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuperpowers — Free 2D+3D game maker (now open source!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Superpowers — Free 2D+3D game maker (now open source!)  (Read 43274 times)
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2015, 04:21:35 AM »

Hey! Thanks for the questions!

So a few questions about superpowers -

1. Are there plans for large world support within Superpowers?

There's no particular support at the moment, but things like chunked loading, actor pooling or whatnot could be built-in as bigger games get made.

2. Are there plans for virtual reality and/or augmented reality support for Superpowers?

The 3D engine we use, THREE.js, supports it, and we plan to support it to Superpowers itself soon as we get our hands on a VR kit, probably next year. Someone from the community might beat us (the core team) to it though ^_^

3. Does superpowers handle large projects well?

Define large. I wouldn't build a huge MMO with gigabytes of assets with it at this point, if that's the kind of thing you have in mind. Or rather, I *would* but we'd have to improve various things in the process, like adding caching to the build process.

4. Can I use VS Code or Atom text editor with Superpowers?

No. Since Superpowers has a client/server architecture, the server manages your project's assets and scripts must be edited through Superpowers so that real-time collaboration can work. It's closer to an IDE than a framework.

The script editor is CodeMirror-based, it has many of the features you'd expect like syntax highlighting, autocompletion, code folding, real-time error reporting, multiple cursor support, etc. You can of course always copy/paste from your editor of choice but that might be pretty cumbersome.

If needed, you can tweak and/or contribute to the script editor so that it fulfills your needs.

5. What 3D file formats does Superpowers support?

OBJ for static models, glTF for 3D. (glTF is the new runtime asset format from the Khronos group, makers of OpenGL and Vulkan.). glTF can easily be generated from COLLADA files which most 3D editors support. We test a lot with Blender.

6. How do you plan to monetize Superpowers post Open source? Plugin Marketplace? Donations? Service plans?

We'd love to be sustainable through voluntary support, with a mix of recurring donations (through Patreon), and one-time support for particular goals like a set of features, a new plugin or asset packs. Bounties sound like fun, too!

If that works, then we can do practically 100% open source work and that'd be awesome! If not, we might end up selling plugins, assets and maybe hosting. But really, we're a small team and we'd rather spend time making cool stuff (tools, assets, doucmentation, games...) for the community at large than maintain paid services and whatnot.

7. Any plans to support the steam controller and Steam Link?

We don't have either so no plans. Does the Steam controller work in most browsers? If so, then it's probably already supported in Superpowers! Otherwise, if and when we'll look into it ourselves will depend on whether it becomes a top requested feature.

For the next couple of months, we're focusing on finishing up the open source release (lots to do!). After that, we'll be available to give guidance to people who want to contribute that sort of things, and we'll be working on the most useful features for the community.

Thanks for your time,

Ben

EDIT: Added a few more questions Smiley

Sure! Let me know if you have any followups Smiley

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

Work on the next version (0.15) is going great, and it'll be a major one!

We've reworked the way textures are loaded in the various editors to fix some race conditions. We've started standardizing asset migration code with format version numbers, much simpler to manage.

And we've refactored the whole codebase to support multiple systems!

What's a Superpowers system?

Superpowers's core is really just an extensible platform that manages real-time collaborative projects. Writing them to disk, serving them up over the network. That sort of things. The systems are where all the magic happens.

A system is made of an engine, a player (to run the thing you're making) and a bunch of plugins (data formats, editors and tools).

For instance, the system we've been building over the last year is called "Cape" (because if you have Superpowers, you should have a Cape Grin ... Undecided), it's built on top of Three.js, uses TypeScript and it lets you make 2D and 3D games.

(EDIT: We changed our mind about the name, we're calling it the "Superpowers game system" to limit confusion and avoid having to rename all Sup. API to Cape.)

But you'll be able to use Superpowers with other systems! One could build a system for writing books, making animations, crafting mods for a game or even building games for a different engine. We'll have some concrete examples soon.

Server browser

Project entries are now much bigger in the server browser and they gained an icon. You can upload your own!

There's also a project type selector that will let you which system you want to use for your project!

Switching to Electron...

We've been working on making the switch from NW.js to Electron as our application runtime. It seems to be going really well and should be done soon. Electron has many cool features like automatic updates, crash reporting, installers and auto-updates... and ships with the latest Chrome goodness!

Drawing in the cubic model editor

The basics for drawing are in, including some copy/paste support! We also built the rendering components and runtime bits so that cubic models can actually be used in scenes and games.

Next up!

There's some more work on multiple systems support, but nothing major. Now that it is in, the plugin API shouldn't change much anymore. So we can start writing documentation for making your own plugins and systems.

Support for enabling and disabling plugins on a per-project basis will be a must so that we can make tinier builds!

Authentication is one of the last few big items on the list towards open sourcing. Right now, we only have server-wide passwords (and the user experience when logging in is terrible). At the very least, some kind of per-project authentication, maybe with membership lists should be added. We might end up with a plugin-based authentication system to give a lot of flexibility to server owners.

IT'S ALL HAPPENING  Hand Point Left Big Laff  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:25:54 AM by elisee » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2015, 06:09:27 AM »

Over the last few weeks, we've released 2 new Superpowers versions and a huge asset pack update!

Superpowers v0.15 has a redesigned project hub, improved API browser, updated glTF 3D model importer, and massive changes under the hood to support multiple project types!

Superpowers v0.16 features a redesigned asset search popup, a new server login page, basic support for browsing projects on mobile devices, the first release of the cubic model editor, new icons and polish everywhere, ability to stop frozen games, a new documentation tool, a redesigned settings tool... omg I'm out of breath and it's not even a complete list yet!

The Prehistoric Platformer asset pack was massively expanded and reworked (available from your SparklinLabs.com account page or our itch.io page)

With the latest releases, we're getting pretty close to open source-ability! We've started work on the new website and our Patreon page. See you soon!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »

We've started a Superpowers megathread on the new itch.io community forums. I'll probably be posting a bit more over there since their WYSIWYG editor is so much nicer than this forum's BB code (also it has threaded replies!).

As we're getting ready for open sourcing, I've been working on a static Web project type for Superpowers to redesign our website from inside Superpowers :D

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »

We're incredibly happy to announce that, unless the world explodes or something,
Superpowers v1.0 will be released free & open source January 7!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »

Hey that is awesome, congrats on the pending release!

I'm pretty sure I bought it earlier, once I'm done my current project I'll be sure to start actually learning it.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2015, 03:08:53 PM »

Awesome!
Toast Left Smiley Smiley  Wizard Smiley Smiley Toast Right
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »

I wrote about a new Superpowers LÖVE project type we added in the newer itch.io devlog. Click the picture to read it Gentleman

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:20 AM »

Oh. My. Glob.

It's finally happening.

Superpowers, the HTML5 2D+3D game maker
is going open source TODAY.

At noon PST / 3pm EST, we'll be live on
hitbox.tv/SparklinLabs

The new website will be live at superpowers-html5.com

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »

Coffee Beer! Coffee Beer!
Woo! Let's goo!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »

Yeah, this is sweet! Nice of you guys to open-source it - hope it keeps getting better and better!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »

Hey! Just posted another update in the Superpowers Megathread on itch.io!

Superpowers is getting lots of code contributions since going open source Kiss, we're always at 23 contributors to the core repository!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2016, 05:33:41 AM »

Congrats! This project seemed cool all along. You've been working fast!

Only issue which I'm not even sure exists, but it looks like you have to use several browser windows to work with the engine? I'm really not a fan of anything besides one-window layout these days. Is this really the case?

Anyway, great job! I wish you the best. c:

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »

Congrats! This project seemed cool all along. You've been working fast!

Only issue which I'm not even sure exists, but it looks like you have to use several browser windows to work with the engine? I'm really not a fan of anything besides one-window layout these days. Is this really the case?

Anyway, great job! I wish you the best. c:

Thanks!

Most of the time you'll use a single window. The cool thing is that you can open an asset editor in another window if you want, but it's not a requirement at all.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic