Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:17:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnbroken - Autorunning Devil May Souls for PC & mobile
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Unbroken - Autorunning Devil May Souls for PC & mobile  (Read 7550 times)
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:31:31 PM »

Unbroken is a crushingly difficult fantasy-horror action game for PC & mobile platforms.

Prepare for:
  • Gut-grinding pixelated ultra-violence punctuated by old-school cutscenes
  • Deep, stylish combat system that rewards observation, strategy, and reflexes
  • Dark magicks of untold power
  • Hard-as-balls campaign that becomes harder in New Game + due to improved AI and remixed spawns

Me
I'm the sole developer of Unbroken, and I've been working on it in obscurity for a couple of years now. I'm making this thread because I'm on track to (hopefully!) finish the game by 2016 and I'd like to document the process and get feedback from anyone who might be interested  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:32:03 PM by johnguydude » Logged

Unbroken: A Souls-inspired mobile hack n' slash
Devlog
thebarryman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »

Nice art style! Digging the colors.
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:43 AM »

Looks great! I love the art you have going on here. I would like to know more about the battle system.
You said that it was a touch based battle system, is that gesture based? (like swiping a direction to do a certain action) Or more just tapping at the right times?

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »

Antler batman!
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »

Nice art style! Digging the colors.
Thanks! I spend a lot of time agonizing over the palette  Wink

Looks great! I love the art you have going on here. I would like to know more about the battle system...
Sure thing! The combat relies super precise timing, so there are no gestures. Your character runs forward automatically, and you have 3 basic inputs: Touch left half of the screen to defend, touch right half of the screen to attack, and touch both sides simultaneously to evade. Other actions are timing-based or contextual, like launch and parry, but they still use the same 3 inputs.

Antler batman!
SHHHH! He's The Returner!

Devlog
rasteroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »

Looks great, keep at it. Now I have to tide myself over with some kanabalt until you release a demo.
goog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »

This is my jam. I want to see more!
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »

Looks great, keep at it. Now I have to tide myself over with some kanabalt until you release a demo.
Sorry to make you wait!
This is my jam. I want to see more!
Sure thing!
Today I took a break from coding to do a pass on a zombie-type enemy. Here you can see it go from silhouette to color mockup:

Devlog
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »

Visual style looks amazing. I'd like to see how the two-input system works with what appears to be a pretty complex moveset - I'm not seeing how timing alone can handle that range of inputs, but I'm interested to find out.

Also, Antler Batman The Returner is a really cool character design - the Antlers add just enough originality to allow the rest of the costume to be your classic antihero in black.
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »

Looking forward to it aswell! I like the idea behind the fighting. I like that the combat has a good 'punch' when you hit an enemy visually. Good job with the screen pauses and things like that it all seems to go real well together!

johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »

Currently in the process of re-coding the game's engine for the fourth(!!) and final time.

When I started this project, I had no idea what I was doing. After a series of false starts, I am now finally in a place where I know exactly what I want to put in the game and how to implement it! Unfortunately during this part of development there isn't a lot to show, so eye candy updates may be sparse Sad

I'm not seeing how timing alone can handle that range of inputs, but I'm interested to find out.

Also, Antler Batman The Returner is a really cool character design - the Antlers add just enough originality to allow the rest of the costume to be your classic antihero in black.
Thanks! I'll release more details on the player's moveset once I've finalized it

I like that the combat has a good 'punch' when you hit an enemy visually. Good job with the screen pauses and things like that it all seems to go real well together!
Yeah, one of the primary goals I have is to make hits as satisfying for the player as possible. That point actually segues nicely into my update for today:

I'm going to add blood FX on hits, since I think it will fit well with the game's aesthetic. I've made a few test animations and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

I was inspired by the blood from Samurai Gunn which is AMAZING. I've looked all over for information on exactly how Beau Blyth built that system, but I haven't found anything so I guess I'm on my own.

Devlog
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:14:05 AM »

All hail the might Bantler!

This looks wicked, but I would like to see how it plays. Reaper promised a similar thing but I found it...lacking. This does look very satisfying so I hope it feels great too.

Aesthetic looks fantastic! I am really digging the presentation!

johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »

This looks wicked, but I would like to see how it plays. Reaper promised a similar thing but I found it...lacking. This does look very satisfying so I hope it feels great too.

Thanks! One of my main goals is to nail the satisfying feel of Hideki Kamiya-type character action games.

So I decided to do an art pass on the player. The original design is now 2 years old and no longer reflects my abilities.
What really bothered me was his run animation, which I now think looks ridiculous:
Way too blobby and stumpy to be intimidating and cool, even though it gets the general idea across.
Here's a comparison between the original player and the new one I designed:
As you can see, the new player is more realistically proportioned and less cute, he also uses a more complex and saturated palette.
For his run animation, I started with a basic skeletal 6-frame run cycle:
Even though the movement looks good here, it fails to reflect the character properly. The returner hunches into his cloak while running, so his arms don't actually swing and his head doesn't turn, and his torso leans forward rather than staying upright. The above run animation would have looked goofy and out of place, so I had to make some changes.
After hours and hours of tweaking, this is what I came up with:

Devlog
MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »

Very moody, I like the colour palette.

In fact, what really caught my attention are these vistas / scenery:

Keep it up, don't stop drawing on inspiration to make awesome scenes like those!
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »

Wow! "Souls-inspired" + beautiful pixel art + Batman (what!?), you've got all my attention! Even if it's a mobile game and that I never play on my mobile...

Keep up the good work!

Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »

Jeeez, looks insane.

That's exactly what I need, a game to throw my mobile device across the room - instead of a controller.

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »

Keep it up, don't stop drawing on inspiration to make awesome scenes like those!
Thanks! I've always struggled with drawing environments, so it's good to hear that.
Wow! "Souls-inspired" + beautiful pixel art + Batman (what!?), you've got all my attention! Even if it's a mobile game and that I never play on my mobile...

Keep up the good work!
Thank you! It's funny that you say that because I never play mobile games either. Unbroken is designed for people like you and me who are sick of the cheap, shallow, clunky titles that are clogging the mobile space.
Jeeez, looks insane.

That's exactly what I need, a game to throw my mobile device across the room - instead of a controller.
Yeah, I would suggest getting a rubber case for your phone before downloading  Wink

Ok This week I finally have the player interacting with an enemy in-engine!
Getting Hit:

When hit by a 'medium' direct attack, the player flashes red, gushes some blood, and gets knocked backwards. The effects are still WIP, and there will be a more exaggerated response for 'heavy' attacks, and possible a brief flinch response for 'light' attacks.

If you don't want to get hit, you should block!

Blocking is the easiest defensive move, because you can just hold down the button. The downside is blocking consumes stamina, and may let a percentage of damage through.

If your block is timed perfectly though, direct attacks get deflected!

Perfect blocks are difficult to time, but they don't cost stamina and they don't let any damage through.

Not all attacks can be blocked, though, some must be evaded!

Backdashing away from an attack is a good way to completely avoid damage, but it requires good timing and costs stamina to execute.

I'm also working on another defensive move and hopefully I'll be able to show that next week!

Devlog
leblackdragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »

Those are seriously cool. Fluidly animated and with excellent motion. The backgrounds are nicely colored and everything really conveys a strong art style. Cheers!

Welcome to the Cat's Manor:
A Cat's Manor Devlog

Twitter @as3adya

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »

This looks great! Looking forward to playing this. Good luck with it! :-D

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »

very nice art & animations
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic