Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1410066 Posts in 69496 Topics- by 58513 Members - Latest Member: Squirrel_404

July 25, 2024, 11:04:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel Pirate in Bits of Eight
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Pirate in Bits of Eight  (Read 11773 times)
hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 01:17:59 AM »

Thanks for the kind words and messages guys, we have some music on the go now but thanks for the offers.

Here is a video I showed at an Indie game night here in Tokyo the other day, and serves as the official preview of the levels and music I guess. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:51:10 AM by hawken » Logged

hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »

Not everything has to be 2D to be, 2D.

In my workflow, I tend to use several tools and find that one tool will never cover it all. Occasionally, instead of drawing out pixels by hand, I'll render them in 3D then feed them back into the workflow as if nothing happened. Sneaky.

So heres an image I drew a while back, to my abject horror I accidently flattened the layers at some point. Not good. However we can still get the anchor shape from this initial concept art and turn into a 3d model for a range of angles and more flexibility.

Process

In Illustrator I trace the anchor, using some basic shapes lines.

Save this as Illustrator8 (this is the only format Cinema4d will read) and import to a Cinema4d scene using "merge".

OK not bad so the vectors came in fine, we can now make some basic shapes, extrude or use the polypen to start taking advantage of this feature.

I generally just use primitives then convert to editable mesh at the end, Cinema 4D is very powerful with primitive shapes, they can be edited easily. Also there is no need to care about the fidelity or complexity of your model in this process, as we are using render bitmap data in the end, not the model. Quick and dirty is fine.

We have the shape, lets do a quick render at a low resolution with no antialiasing and a toon post renderer tag to see if it matches up to the pixel art:

Seems to be a pretty close match. So onwards to animating.

For the scene, I set the camera to have a height of 2.40 with an aspect ratio of 16:9, then set the render output to match my game (427 x 240px). This ensures that the output will be the exact size I need. Just need to do a bit of rescaling:

If I set the background of the camera view to a still of the game, it'll serve as a good guide. (this won't render in the final images)

There we go! Perfect fit. Now I'm ready to lay down a few frames. (it is always important to animate at the right scale, as scaling animations later can cause untold headaches in 3d)

Render this out, put in Photoshop and recolour and the final animation is done!

So this is just one small example and can be applied to other situations, I use it sparingly as can tend to change the visual style into something you did not intend from outset, but can save time here and there on geometric rotations of objects.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:22:33 AM by hawken » Logged

SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »

woa, nice way to get the pixel art fill the correct shape, didnt thought 2d games used 3d for animation, looks awesome  My Word!

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »

amazing! thanks for the detailed process on this
also your game is looking fantastic, good luck with it  Coffee
hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »

Needed some frames from all angles so put into a handy diagram showing how Pete changes as he loses health.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »

Looks great.  Just a suggestion though, maybe shorten his sleeves and make his hair recede a bit in the last one to further differentiate it and make it more clear that it changed.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »

Needed some frames from all angles so put into a handy diagram showing how Pete changes as he loses health.

Yeah, I can only agree with this method :p

Keep up! It's looking really good.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 06:39:44 AM »

Looks great.  Just a suggestion though, maybe shorten his sleeves and make his hair recede a bit in the last one to further differentiate it and make it more clear that it changed.

Sounds good. Lets go for sleevelessness

hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2015, 04:12:49 AM »

some humble townsfolk

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2015, 04:18:56 AM »

Awesome like the rest! The right side of the black guy's face (3rd from the left) bugs me a bit. Looks like the last pixel column is out of place.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:05 PM »

It's been a busy time for Pixel Pirate. Did a trade show, with a playable demo! Full write up about that here.

Working on lots of new things, and finally getting the pixel art 3D look done.

Heres an early video of the gameplay, from early May.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »

This looks awesome.  Smiley

Just tow things I noticed regarding the camera:

- It follows you when you hit a platform above you, ala Mario, which is very nice, but the camera stops from joining you if you leave the ground before it reached you. It looks a bit problematic if you jump really fast from platform to platform, you don't see much above you. The character even goes a little bit out screen. Hitting a trap or an enemy in this situation would be frustrating and unavoidable without knowing the level by hearth. I assume you don't have problems because well... you made the levels yourself Wink

- Second thing, when you fall the camera doesn't remains centred on the Y axis on the character, which result in a situation where you see a lot less under you than above you. Difficult to avoid traps considering the character falls pretty fast and the view is well zoomed in, it doesn't allow you to see a lot around you.

I had those same problem with a platformer I abandoned, I used a separate object that was followed by the camera, object that itself followed the player. When the character touched the ground, the object was travelling to that point  on Y, regardless of the player being jumping again. And when the character was falling, the camera centred the view, then subtly shifted under the character, allowing you to see a lot under you. The shift was slow, and as the game was meant to allow really long free fall, it showed a lot. Maybe the verticality isn't so important in your project.

Keep up! Can't wait to try this Wink

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »

Nice! I love the hatched effect on the shadows.

hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »

Currently in crunch on the game for showing at BitSummit2015, but thought I'd share these. Comments welcome as always   Toast Right

(modular NPC system)

(A map from the game)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:41:43 PM by hawken » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »

All I want to know having just read through the entirety of the deblog is whether the hat system is in! Wink

hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »

All I want to know having just read through the entirety of the deblog is whether the hat system is in! Wink

Not only is it in, enemies can steal it!

hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2015, 12:42:57 AM »

changed the view of the town a little

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »

Great artwork! Smiley
hawken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »

We did another trade show!

The game has come along quite a bit, still lots to do though. Any comments or feedback welcome as always

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:43 AM »

Wow! Your visuals have improved! Digging the 3D to retro art too!

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic