Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411953 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 08:51:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGood, boring games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Good, boring games  (Read 4614 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »

Some interesting points have been raised.

Paul, you're quite right, though I'm okay with the subjective opinion of the player to assess a game's fun, as I'm not looking for any sort of 'official boring game's list'. But I have to say that there are things that are indeed boring though stimulating in other ways. Like, for instance, it happens to me that some books just call me to read them, because just the act is enjoyable, and others that I read because the content is interesting, but don't find reading them to be particularly attractive. Maybe that's just the divide I personally use: a gut attraction versus a mind attraction? I do tend to associate fun with feelings.

is this an extension of "Removing fun from the designer's Lexicon" thread?

Only in the sense that I tend to think about these things, but not in any other way.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »

The Marriage.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »

Every "art game" should be listed here.

With the exception of Braid, yeah. Games that don't focus on gameplay get tedious pretty quickly imo.

"Gravity Bone" is an example of such game. And I am probably an example of person who expected wrong kind of entertainment from it.

I thought that was great, the jumping puzzles and that mechanic with the exploding birds. I think when I was running it I actually played the game more than 4 mins 33 seconds. And I enjoyed it more as a game than an avant garde stab at games design.
Jrsquee
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »

Uh, guys.

Dwarf Fortress.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »

You telling me you had no fun watching your dwarves enter in deep depression and fling themselves off the highest point of the scenery, sometimes several times in a row until they finally die?

You, my good sir, have no soul.

Seriously though, I know of many games that fit in the cathegory of compelling, but not fun. Most of them have already been named, others I don't remember right now. But I believe the best term for a game that we find good but not exactly 'fun' is compelling. At least for me. Something in it basically compells us to keep playing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »

The traveling sections of Shadow of the Colossus were both long and dull, and yet were a significant part of what made the overall experience good. Mostly good.

Also, there are lots of people who say that Okami is a good game. I can't vouch for that, but it is certainly very boring.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Fuzz
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Transplatform! Really atmospheric and cool, and although the gameplay was rather repetitive, it was strangely entrancing and surprisingly very fun.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »

CastlevaniaRL is good, yet boring.

Yeah, I must really rework big parts of it. Last version was released on August 12 2007 Sad

Pixal has the priority for now though

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

The traveling sections of Shadow of the Colossus were both long and dull, and yet were a significant part of what made the overall experience good. Mostly good.

Horse riding, dull? Long, yes, I'll give you that, but I thought it was fantastic. Exploring a unique landscape, letting the world sink in as it flys past you. I loved it.

Sorry to question another person's contribution again, but... well, it's interesting what some find boring.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

People think Endless Forest is fun. I know I wouldn't be the first to call it boring Droop
Endless Forest creeps me out.  If the deer faces were just, you know, deer faces, then I could see why people might like that game.  But they're people faces, PEOPLE FACES!  Shocked
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

Horse riding, dull? Long, yes, I'll give you that, but I thought it was fantastic.

I enjoyed it too, but it was certainly uneventful. That's not a criticism; I thought it was a very bold move to give the game that extra space and not feel pressured into making the traveling sections more "entertaining".

Fumeto Ueda has got huge brass balls for a big studio game designer. Like Stanley Kubrick, he has enough confidence to risk slowing things right down in order to get the pacing right.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic