Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingReferences and copyrights
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: References and copyrights  (Read 2156 times)
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:29 AM »

I was thinking.
It is cool to make references to your favorite song or your favorite TV show but...when does it become copyright infringement exactly?
I mean, aside the time needed for something to became public domain.
If I quote, for example, Daft Punk's album name "Human after all" in a sentence, is it copyright infringement? Do I have to play with words to avoid it or it works just fine?
I hope is not a stupid question.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:09:41 AM »

nah, that's fine i think

it's not even copyright infringement to include facsimiles of things (i.e. if you're making a comic you could probably have a dude pick up a copy of human after all as long as you're not copying and pasting the art directly) as long as the intent isn't to undercut the work in question in some way

name dropping things is not a problem

this is a good example from a published work i just read

OccamsRazor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »

It's my understanding that you can reference a band's name, album or songs in another work such as a novel or videogame without running in to copyright or trademark trouble - it's only when you use the lyrics that this becomes an issue(that being the content of the song, more or less).

I did a bit of looking around to see if I could find something to support this. This blog post by a book/magazine publisher seems to give a fairly comprehensive look at the use of references in your own work, and it does state that you can reference the title or author of any work freely.

http://janefriedman.com/2012/01/23/permissions/
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »

It's my understanding that you can reference a band's name, album or songs in another work such as a novel or videogame without running in to copyright or trademark trouble - it's only when you use the lyrics that this becomes an issue(that being the content of the song, more or less)

this happens in sex criminals; there's a great moment where they sing "fat bottomed girls" by queen, and pasted over the lyrics with a discussion from the author about how they couldn't get the rights in time.

what's interesting is that not all of the lyrics are covered up, which tells me that as long as it's not a substantially long excerpt, you should be fine

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »

Lyrics are troubling me more than everything else now, woah.
t’s dangerous to use even 1 line without asking for permission
is it true?
Because, I mean, several times I've seen people quoting one line, only one, from a song (for example, Bob's Dylan song in Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy) and I don't think they got permission every time.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

"dangerous" meaning that TECHNICALLY no law says you're in the right.

but no law says you're in the wrong.

the reason it's "dangerous" is that technically speaking fair use is 100% court caseable

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »

In some old topic I've discovered my country hasn't even concept of fair use :|...it has something, but it is very, very restrictive.
This is what bothers me, actually, in the whole copyright concept. That copyrights are not equal among all countries. Seems they are not even equal in all the countries of EU!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic