Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:45:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Tikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer  (Read 59536 times)
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:45:05 AM »

Official Trailer

Playable Demo

Tikotep Adventure is a project I am working on on my spare time for about one year now.
The gameplay is based on a platform/adventure style with a strong storyline and I will look forward to add some metroidvania stuff if possible.

Story
Madness has contaminated the forest and the animals living in. Tikotep will leave his village to find out what happends. He is not prepared to see what he will find.

Gameplay
The game is mainly a platformer inspired by megaman. Tikotep can fight using his bow or his tomahawk. He will find new powers on his journey to go through inaccessible place and fight powerfull enemies.

Team

Alwex music/code/pixel art

Some images of the game

I will try to keep this devlog up to date.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:22:29 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:31:28 AM »

Some technical stuffs:

The game is made using pure Java / LibGDX.
For the map, I use the excellent software tiled
The main engine is based on Artemis ODB a entity/component/system framework forked from the artemis project.
The shaders are written in glsl.
The physic engine is a custom one, I had some tests with box2D but the feeling was not good for a platformer.
Graphics are done with pyxeledit a very nice pixel art oriented drawing program.
There is no music at this stage, but I plan to use plain old midi composition (not sure about that)

My IDE : Eclipse!

Follow us on playfield
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:58 AM »

Love the lighting! looking forward to see more

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »

Thank you, I think that light is a good thing to make some nice looking scene.

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

Need to work on the bat IA. For now it wait for the player to be at 3 cells of distance before leaving the roof and attacking the player. If the player go away far enougth (3 cells), then the bats goes to roof and wait in the dark for another victim.

I think that the bat may have a little displacement while hurted by an arrow or by the tomahawk.

Sorry for the gif quality, If someone knows a good software to record windowed game and quickly make an animated gif, please tell me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:57:12 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »

Sorry for the gif quality, If someone knows a good software to record windowed game and quickly make an animated gif, please tell me.

I've used licecap in the past. It's a free download. Looking good man! On the bat AI maybe have a couple second 'buffer' where if it's out of the 3 cells of distance it'll 'look' around until resorting to the ceiling again?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »

Very cute graphics, especially the main character. But I'm not sure about all the gradients, light halos and sun rays. Not a huge fan of these 'hires' effects being added to lowres pixel art. It's kind of a cheap effect. Maybe discrete tile based lighting could work out as well?

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

@Pezomi sound like a good idea to make the bat wandering a bit before going back to home, I will try to implement it soon.
I also used licecap, perhaps my computer is not powerfull enougth to deal with running the game and capturing the gif at the same time. I prefer to use a cheap computer to keep an eye on the game performances.

@Eigen thank you, I also think that the "god ray" effect is a little too much. What do you mean by "discrete tile based lighting", something like terraria light effect? Can you provide me with some example?

Follow us on playfield
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »

On second thought that doesn't look quite right either. I know eigenbom experimented with a few lighting rendering modes for Moonman, perhaps he has some good insight.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »

Looks pretty nice! Love that sunrise.
If you did want to go with more traditional and dynamic sounding music (with a digital twist) rather than midi, feel free to give me a PM and we could talk more. No offence but I'd hate to see something that looks this nice end up with dull generic midi sounds, even if the compositions are nice.
All the best!

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »

@Eigen I have seen the result on moonman, it is a very nice redering, but I think I will stick with the current light engine for now. He is able to cast shadow depending on the obstacles and I plan to use it for gameplay purposes. Nice idea by the way.

@Leo J, I have listen to your music, it is a good work. I'll keep in touch with you if needed.

If someone know a good indian based chip music source, please give the links! Smiley

I wonder how native indian music can sounds once chiptuned.

Follow us on playfield
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 02:04:47 AM »

I can mock something American Indian up if you want?

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 03:55:24 AM »

@Leo J, sounds like a good idea, thank you

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »

I try a new environment. For the moment the canoe is not moving, I must decide if the canoe move by itself or if it follow tikotep (like in treasure adventure game). Not sure about the wandering fox on the top.
The new feature called "the ladder" is barely ready, tikotep will be able to climb on ladder, tree, vines etc...

I wonder who can live in this forest, perhaps a village of imps with strange habits, who knows?

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »

I am currently experimenting with a wolf. I think the AI is not hard enougth, depending on the amount of opponents, it can be too easy or too hard

I have tunned LICEcap to make the gif more fluid  Toast Right
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:12:28 AM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
Canned Turkey
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

That looks really nice.
The movement and fighting is top notch, but maybe add some more feedback between connections?
You know, knockback and the like, just to spruce it up.

The game looks super duper, I love the mix of 8-bit art and HD effects.
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »

@Canned Turkey, you are right, the fights needs more feedback, the enemy may freeze a little or get pushed away.
I wa thinking about a slow motion effect when hitting the enemies and why not a little rumble of the screen while getting hit by enemies.

Follow us on playfield
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »

As far as enemies go, my personal preference is to have less enemies but make them harder and smarter. I would think it's better to see a wolf and get nervous rather than just jump or shoot through the scene. The original Prince of Persia did this well. Every fight had your focus fully on your enemy until they dropped dead. Even the enemy health bar is a possibility.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »

As far as enemies go, my personal preference is to have less enemies but make them harder and smarter.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Also, it does look great, I quite like games that mix up the lighting with really nice clean pixelart like what you've got going on.

The animal animations looks good for the fights, but I think you're right that they need a little bit more weight to them. Perhaps knock them back and have a bit of slowdown with the hit? Would probably look cool and help the feel of the attacks, might make timing hits a bit more difficult though...

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »

Maybe look into Sprite Lamp for lightning. I just find "HD" lightning like this ugly in pixel games. Especially when for example the grass is super bright no matter how under the shadows it is, but then when its under the light its either the same or way too bright.
Otherwise looking good! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic